Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam_56

Norway spruce.... died in 3 months!

pam_56
16 years ago

We have 3 Norway spruces at the front of our property. Because the power lines run through them they were topped many years ago. Subsequently they have just have had the branches that are in the way removed. Even topped they are 50+ feet tall. While we were in FL the property on the other side of our driveway was clear cut. Because they owner owns a strip of land between us and the road they parked a lot of heavy equipment near our trees..and I hear they had gas cans sitting all over. But when we came home from FL in mid-May the trees were all green. But by the beginning of July the one closest to the driveway was getting brown and losing needles (from the top down). Now there is one low branch that has some green left...but is brittle. There is no damage to the trunk that I can see...nor any blight on the branches. But about 6 feet from the base of the tree is a circle about 10 ft. in diameter where nothing is growing. The soil does not have any petroleum smell...so I don't think there was a fuel spill. Do you know anything that could have killed this majestic tree so quickly? I have two more sitting next to it and I am afraid for them. I have called my extension but they only do soil testing for planting...Any ideas? Suggestions? What killed my tree?

Comments (2)

• spruceman
    16 years ago

Pam:

I would dig down a foot or so where you think there could have been a spill--maybe in 3 or four different places--and sniff the soil for evidence of gasoline or oil or something. For those who may think that soil compaction from the vehicles may have killed the tree, I know I need not to be too cocksure of anything, but let me say anyway, "no way!" Norway spruce are very, very tolerant of having soil compacted around them by vehicles, etc. I don't say it is good, and I don't say it won't eventually kill a Norway spruce--it can--but if it is extreme, the tree will slowly deteriorate and linger on for years before dying.

There is one place in Burlington, WV where I have observed this for about 30 years. All kinds of industrial vehicles were driven and parked around these two NS trees, which I observed carefully because they were beautiful. Well, eventually, these trees began to look pathetic. About 5 years ago they began stacking old tires around these trees, so the vehicular traffic stopped. You should see the trees now. The tops are still thin and sick looking, but the lower 2/3rds of the trees are filling out and looking quite nice. I will see if the trees continue to recover. There are a few other instances I could site, but I do, I know, go on and on too much. Anyway, NS trees are really tough old buzzards.

Yeah, something poisonous got into the soil.

--Spruce

• wisconsitom
    16 years ago

SPruceman has summed up the situation with regards to soil compaction well-bad for trees, but not likely to have caused such rapid demise.

So yes, something could have been spilled into the soil, and your test digging may reveal this. Another thought-could the sudden change in site exposure with the clearing of the adjacent forest cause the decline of the tree? Still, it doesn't seem even this would cause so sudden a decline. Most environmentally caused tree decline takes a course like Spruceman described, with the tree hanging on miserably, sometimes for years, not a rapid decline like your tree has experienced.

So I agree. Check especially the soil in the dead spot. The dying from the top down is characteristic of root damage.

+oM