Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorry2

Anyone familar with Satyr Hill American HOlly?

dorry2
17 years ago

I am planning to purchase some hollies for my rear yard. ANyone familiar with this holly? I understand the deer might nibble new growth, but will rarely bother this holly. Have found very little on the web about Satyr Hill, but know it was cultivated in Baltimore, MD by McLean nurseries. I would like to know the pros and cons of the holly. Thanks.

Comments (15)

• pineresin
    17 years ago

If American deer are anything like European deer, they'll strip holly leafless and barkless in no time.

Resin

• spruceman
    17 years ago

Well, maybe rhe deer here are not that bad. Before I got the Satyr Hill I got a "greenleaf" holly (I have no idea about its parentage). It was really ugly compared to the Satyr Hill and I might have just chucked it, but I planted it in "deer country" unprotected and it gets "trimmed" by the deer regularly, but in spite of the trimming it is getting bigger slowly and it has not been buckrubbed yet. So, the jury is out....

--Spruce

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    17 years ago

Not disputing the fact that deer like holly - our arboretum has a naturalizing stand of Ilex opaca that is the results of a seedling planting program at the arboretum's beginning back in the early 70s. I check this population twice a year and have not seen any deer damage. Up until a couple years ago we had a herd of 30 plus on 189 acres - which has been reduced to about 10 at this point. No rubbing, no excessive browsing, nothing.

• kman04
    17 years ago

Just to be a stick in the mud, but you do realize Hollies (Ilex sps.) are not conifers.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

English holly (Ilex aquifolium) naturalized pest here, never seen it browsed.

I looked your plant up in F. Galle's Timber Press holly book.

"'Satyr Hill' (female; volunteer seedling selected and introduced by S. McLean, registered H.S.A. 3-70 by McLean).

Leaves dark olive green, oval, 5-6 cm (2-23/8 in.) long, 4.5-5 cm (13/4-2 in.) wide, slightly keeled, 5-6 spines on each side, margins reflexed, petioles stout, 7 mm (9/32 in.) long; fruits red, globose, 10 mm (3/8 in.) diameter, pedicels 10 mm (3/8 in.) long, borne singly, well spaced"

• dorry2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pineresin, no doubt, deer will eat hollies, but they have neither touched the one in my front yard, nor the Nellie Stevens and Foster Hollies in my neighbors yard. I know they will eat most anything if they are hungry enough, but our yards have been spared.

Bboy, thanks for your "research." Excuse my ignorance, but the Satyr Hill is only available in the female form?? So I guess I just hope that it will produce berries, considering there are many hollies in close proximity to where these hollies will be planted. My knowledge with ilex opaca very is limited and that is why these forums are a great resource. Thank you, Bboy!

Yes, kman, you are a stick in the mud. There is no holly forum of which I am aware, guess I should have posted in the Trees forum. Have you any worthwhile comments to add re. the topic?

I thank all of you who offered helpful information and advice. I think I will take my chances and go for the Satyr Hill Hollies.

• kman04
    17 years ago

LOL

Ok, perhaps this is helpful. Hollies are dioecious, which means they are either male or female. A named cultivar, like 'Satyr Hill' will all either be male or female. Since this is a female cultivar, any plant sold under this name should be female and yes this means you need a male pollinator around to get the red berries on your 'Satyr Hill' holly.

With that said, there are some plants bred or named specifically because they have the ability to self pollinate(no need for a male plant around) in otherwise dioecious families of plants. 'Burford' Holly(Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii') is an example of this. 'Meader' American Persimmon(Diospyros virginiana 'Meader') is another example of this.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

and you do know.. that even though a holly may be 'evergreen' .. it is not a conifer .... though apparantly a lot of conifer nuts know a lot about them ... go figure... lol

i am surprised there isnt a holly forum ....

ken

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

No magnolias forum either.

• spruceman
    17 years ago

As for pollinators for American Hollies--I have heard that the males are very, very efficient, meaning that one pollinator in the vicinity will do for a lot of females. And one person told me, and it may have been the present owner of McLean Nurseries, that one male tree within half a mile will do the job. To be honest, I am not sure about that. But I would guess that if you live in a suburban neighborhood where there are a lot of hollies, you may not need to have your own male tree. So, if you don't have room for one, just plant your Satyr Hill and see if you get berries. The berries come the first or second year on even small trees, so you won't have to wait to find out. If you see bloom in the spring and then no berries, or just a few, you need a pollinator. Every flower, or nearly every flower, should produce a berry.

--Spruce

• sam_md
    17 years ago

Every holly collector has his favorite. 'Satyr Hill is a good one, its leaf is wider than most I. opaca. My all time favorite is 'Old Heavy Berry'. It is in a class all by itself, large, dark green leaves. Berries are large and plentiful. Only found in collections since rooting percentages are low. Scott Arboretum in Swarthmore PA has exceptional Ilex collection.
    Am Holly is not a preferred food of deer and they leave it alone unless they are absolutely starving.
    Holly Soc of America has annual meeting next week on the DelMarVa. Sounds like a good one.
    Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Holly Society of America

• spruceman
    17 years ago

I can't remember for sure, but I think McLean offers old heavy berry. I have read good things about it and was interested to hear your endorsement.

--Spruce

• dorry2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their input. I knew I would get great advice and suggestions on this forum! Another question...when I asked the arborist about staking these trees, mulching, etc., he said it is not necessary to stake - recent research has shown that when trees blow in the wind, their roots become better established and can acclimate better. I remember reading a few years about this controversy - to stake or not to stake. Okay, experts, what are your thoughts. Perhaps I should make another post.

I hate to argue with someone one who has been doing this for years, but everything (trees) we (landscapers) have planted in our yard has been staked and my husband removes the stakes in one year or sooner. None have blown over and all have done well.

These hollies are 6-9-1/2' tall and abour four feet wide.

Do you always stake? Is this small potatoes and I should not worry?

• cdjr
    17 years ago

ForestFarm has Old Heavy Berry listed in the Small Quantity List in their Fall print catalog.