Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharbear50_gw

Did someone say, you can't grow herbs from seed?

sharbear50
14 years ago

It seems I read in a post here that you can't grow herbs from seed..? I took the flower tops of my sweet basil and once they were dry put them in the dirt near the mother plant and they are growing. Can I do that with all my herbs?

Comments (7)

• maggiepearl
    14 years ago

Dill, and basil both do well from seeds, better than transplants. Cilantro and Parsley take a while to start, but do just fine from seeds. The mints (oregano, peppermint, lemon balm...feel the stems. If they have square stems, they are mints)seem to do better from divisions. Chives are better with transplants or divisions.

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

I grow herbs from seed all the time - even chives - whether deliberate or accidental. This year, parsely is absolutely everywhere. But, a good problem to have. I've been gifting seedlings to friends.

I have basil, parsely, catnip, cilantro and tarragon sprouting all from seed plants. Once they get going, you can just gather their seeds and re-plant.

• scottrell
    14 years ago

I grow oregano, lavender,parsley, basil, borage, dill, fennell and catmint from seeds. I keep my pots of catmint at my neighbor's house, otherwise my best buddy will eat it before it gets a chance to grow, he will even eat the dirt it grows in. Rosemary grows great from cuttings. If you want any seeds drop me an e-mail I can send you a bunch.

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

One of my favorites, French Tarragon, either doesn't make seeds or they are sterile. The tarragon seeds you see for sale are Russian tarragon, not the same. I've heard that the Mexican Tarragon is a good substitute, but I haven't seen it lately.
    john

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    14 years ago

i'm not aware that mexican tarragon sets seeds... it might be sterile. i have several very large bushes--tons of beautiful flowers (it's a tagetes), but never once have i seen a seed. 'they say' that mexican tarragon is inferior to french in flavor, but i don't find it so. my all-time favorite salad is fresh, slightly-green tomatoes with some olive oil and tarragon sprinkled on top. it's really the only way i eat tomatoes...

i spilled a package of parsley in my garden in the fall (butterfingers) and not i have parsley EVERYWHERE. i have no idea how the seeds got as widely distributed as they did.

i grow tons of herbs from seed. the easiest are, i think, parsley (SLOW to germinate) and basil.

• cejay
    14 years ago

this year I have parsley, thyme, oregano, basil doing well from seed. Cilantro not happy, so will start another package. Biggest problem about herbs from seeds, is to find inexpensive seeds for all the varieties you want. I have tiny green house and tiny space so not much room, but love to have borage, dill, and a few medicinals like anise hysssop (can't find seeds), tansy and tarrgon. I do have lots of echinacea up.

• PRO
    Sharon C Sullivan
    14 years ago

I grow borage, 4 types of basil, cilantro, italian parsley, dill, celery seasoning (new to me this year). I order all my seeds from Renee's Garden seeds in California. She has some unique varieties and her seeds are top quality. The basil you get from the big box stores is usually inferior and susceptible to basil wilt, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Renee's Garden herbs