Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

speaking of Id tags...

dani_plus_2
12 years ago

...what do you guys use? I know some people talked about a "map" for their beds so they don't have to worry about tags and I might try that. I had those white stakes like at garden centers and I shoved them way in but it didn't matter.

I have some really colorful crosses this year and I want to be able to idenitfy them when they bloom in the next couple of years so I'd like some good squirrel proof ideas. Most of the ones you see this year are one I bought. I actually made a goal and planned for what I wanted this year so it's important that I know which is which!

Dani

Comments (6)

• aka_margo
    12 years ago

I use smaller zinc markers, and I use a brother labeler to label them. You have to buy the uv resistant labels if you buy a labeler. I buy my markers from Paw Paw Everlast, but you could probably also find them at your local garden stores.
    Jen

• floota
    12 years ago

AAA markers. They aren't cheap but they last forever. I got my first markers from them in 1998 and they still look like new today!

• kitcatclub
    12 years ago

I use the Paw Paw Everlast labels, too, but I write on them with a UV resistant paint pen. With the number of plants I have (not just daylilies), the tapes for the labeler are just too expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Stubborn Gardener

• mizellie
    12 years ago

My sister left her dogs ( jack russell's )alone and they tore her blinds down. These were heavy duty, very thick and not flexible at all. Also they are about two inches wide. She saved them for me to use in my seedling beds and they work wonders. I use a paint pen to mark them. Near my house I have some really expensive labels but in my patches I use 1 foot pvc pipe. it comes in 10 foot pieces and I buy the T's at Lowes, 10 in a bag. Since I get 10 labels out of the combo and it's pretty cheap. You can print labels or mark them w/ a paint pen..both work fine...Ellie

• Nancy Barginear
    12 years ago

Ed Hartsell of Earth Star Products sells Sanford Uni-Paint Black Paint Sticks - $14.00 for a package of 5. They have UV protection.

I get our markers from Paw Paw Everlast, use a Brother labeler and the TZe-S151 labels (black print on clear). I used to use the cut-up blinds from Wal-Mart that are made from some kind of rigid plastic. You can write on those with pencil and it does not fade. It's just so much easier to use the Paw Paw ones so I don't have to bend over. Ellie's idea of the pvc pipe sounds like a winner, too!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth Star Products

• sann777
    12 years ago

I use the Paw Paw 21" Markers ($44.00 for 100 the last time I ordered). I use the Brother Label maker with the laminated labels. I hope those are the UV kind. I keep a spreadsheet in the computer with my daylilies in alpha. order. Then if a marker gets lost I can make another with all the inportant info from the spreadsheet. The 21 inch markers will go pretty deep in the soil and stay for a long time. My son uses shorter laBels from Paw Paw, but his gets lost in the foliage when it grows out over them Sarah