Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyaustin96

Need info please Frangipani or Plumeria

ladyaustin96
16 years ago

One of the partners at the firm I work for gave us all choice of some frangipani cuttings(she called it that) or plumeria as I have discovered it is called now. My friend says stick it in the ground and it will grow mad towards the sun...well, I have done some looking and I only see pretty trees already bloomed. What is up with this intriguing lil stick?? All comments greatly appreciated!

Kim

Comments (9)

• bsewall
    16 years ago

This article by Claire Corre should help (see page 5):

Here is a link that might be useful: Creating a Plumeria Collection

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Stick the stick into the ground and it will grow.
    That's the simplicity if it.
    This is the right time of year to start them.
    Do not overwater though.

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

I have lost a few by overwatering which causes them to rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumie 101

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Be careful! Once you start with these little sticks it's pretty hard to stop. I've even purchased seeds on e Bay and started some of my own. The scent of the blossoms varies from plant to plant, too. Yet one more reason to have lots of them!

Kate

• the_musicman
    16 years ago

Good links and info. I just got my first Plumeria cuttings at a yard sale over the weekend, so this is quite helpful. They are about a foot tall now... how fast do they grow?

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Pretty slow the first year but quite fast after that.

If any of you live close to Seffner on the east side of Tampa, you really should go check out a little nursery called Exotic Plumeria. The owner has been written up in the Tampa paper and gardening magazines several times. He has beautiful plants and some 'trees' that are HUGE! It's right on a main road (Hwy 60?) but you'll drive right past the entrance the first time - it's hard to see. If you go, done miss the greenhouses in the back of the property. There's always something blooming back there.

Kate, the Plumeria Enabler!

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

First, make sure the cutting has calloused over. Second, find a sunny spot. Third, if possible, find something you can lean the cutting against while waiting on it to take root. Fourth, just rest the end of the cutting on top of the media (sand, cactus mix, something that doesn;t hold alot of moisture), pack alittle of the media around the base so the edges are covered. Then just wait patiently. In a few weeks you should have roots. Then potted up or plant right away.

I have a 95% success rate.

Tropicalfreak

• suegrew
    16 years ago

I'll go ahead and put my 2 cents in here.
    I've had amazing luck here in St. Pete and my plumerias receive direct summer sun and I have to admit, very rarely any fertilizer. Yes, the trick is to not overwater them. I have also heard that it's important that the cutting is at least a foot tall in length. You can then place "the stick" into the ground and nature should take care of the rest.
    I made the mistake of purchasing a rare variety, the name escapes me right now, from a nursery in Ca. $80 later, the "stick" hasn't grown an inch and I've been babying it to death. All my other plummies are trees right now, so it makes me wonder about dealing with smaller cuttings. My recommendation is to spend your $ at a local grower and forgo spending ALOT of $ after just visiting a website as I did. They will grow like weeds, just remember to get a good size cutting, locally if possible. Hope this will help. I LOVE my plummies!
    Sue.

• ladyaustin96
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you to everyone for their comments. I have seen some of the same info online in my search, but I always trust my garden buddies advice here first!

Thanks and have a beautiful day!

Kim