Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_ewash

Feverfew.......

Vera_EWASH
18 years ago

Finally got it ID after googling for a month! LOL!!

I never planted it and first I thought I had a weed but I liked the bright green folage and waited to see what it would do. The foliage is aromatic with a 'sage'ish' tone. Flowers are chamomile-like, yellow center and have 2 rows of white petals where the inside row is quite short. I'm pretty sure now that it is Tanacetum parthenium. How I got it I'll never know as nobody around me is growing it.

Now that I have it what do I do with it?

Thanks

Vera

Comments (2)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Please do not use any plant unless you are 100% certain as to its identity. Some 'safe' plants very closely resemble some downright dangerous ones, and can often fool even the experts until a tragedy occurs. However, once you've had an expert identify your plant as Feverfew (assuming it IS feverfew), here is how it can be used.

Leaves are used to treat migraine, and arthritis, asthma, bronchitis, to prevent blood clots, to reduce high blood pressure, and for some menstrual problems. The tea can also be used externally as a healing wash or to ease the discomfort of insect bites earache and facial pain, or as a mouthwash after a tooth extraction, and also acts as a mild sedative. A tea is taken for tinnitus, irregular periods and to cleanse the uterus after childbirth. Often helps in the treatment of alcoholism (delirium tremens). If heat is helpful in reducing headache pain, feverfew might help. But if cold is helpful, then feverfew probably will not help.

Usual Dosage: Eat 2-3 leaves per day between slices of bread. Or take 1-2 cups of the tea per day, made with 1 heaped teaspoon of dried leaves (2-8 fresh leaves) to 1 cup water.Take cold. Tincture: Take 10-20 drops in water every 3-4 hours.

The flowers are pretty in crafts and are used to obtain dyes. They are attractive to beneficial insects in the garden. Flowers soaked in dandelion wine makes a good insect repellent. Fresh leaves and stems give a green-yellow dye with a chrome mordant. Small does of the tea can be administered to cats as an alternative to aspirin. Pets can be bathed in the tea as a flea rinse.

Warning: Avoid during pregnancy, or when taking anti-clotting medications. When chewing the leaves, it may irritate the mouth, so always eat them between slices of bread to reduce this effect. Flowers are laxative and should be used sparingly. It may inhibit blood-clotting. May cause dermatitis in susceptible people. Flowers are laxative and should be used sparingly. It may inhibit blood-clotting (keep a record that you're taking it in your wallet in case of accident, and tell your dentist before a tooth extraction). Do not use if taking Warfarin or other blood-thinning drugs, including Aspirin.

• Vera_EWASH
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know my dangerous herbs well...I'll save a sample just in case and bring in to my instuctor (plant pathologist) beginning of fall quarter. I'll tell you I am bold and chewed on a leaf soon after posting last night ...sorta numbing sensation in the mouth (sort of like echinacea root feels)...I was having a bit of menstrual cramps and they dulled within 1/2 hour. I also took some pics on my camara phone but need to figure out how to get them off LOL. Looks like I have a USB port on it so gonna look around for one...will post a pic if I figure it out :)

Vera