Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colleenmntofl

Moving from Minnesota

colleenmntofl
16 years ago

I will be moving from MN to Marco Island, FL within the next month.

Can I bring any of my perenials with me?

I have numerous hostas, daylillies, bee balm, iris, bleeding hearts.

I'm sure the peonies, lily-of-the-valley, lillies, and poppies won't move.

Any advice on transporting them? I'll be driving.

Comments (8)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

colleen - leave your plants behind. Even though we have day lilly, iris, and bleeding heart vine here in Florida, your plants have been acclimatized to Minnesota and will all more than likely die here.

Start new, there are thousands of species that thrive in zone 10 and they're all waiting for you.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

The day lilies are the only ones, if they are the evergreen, that would have a chance to make it. Sorry, I know how hard it is to leave plants you loved behind. But soon you will have new and different plants to love. :o)

Welcome to Florida and FL GW!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Hi Colleen - welcome to Florida! I would have to agree with the others - leave your plants and start fresh. I tried bringing some of my favs with me when I came from Montana a few years ago and ended up losing them. I wish I had just left them for someone else to enjoy.

Good luck with your move and drive safe! It's a long haul. I listened to two entire books on CD on my drive here.

Betsy

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Hi Colleen,
    Welcome. I have to agree not to bring your plants. Although we have irises and bleeding hearts that will grow here, they are not the same types that grow up north.
    Once you get settled watch this group for plant swap parties. You'll soon have more neat plants than you'll know what to do with. As well as some new friends! You don't need anything to trade either.
    By the way, you must be a glutton for punishment, moving down here during August/September. Or one tough cookie!

See you around the forum.

Treefrog

• solstice98
    16 years ago

Hi and Welcome to Florida, and to the Florida Forum!

I lived in Minneapolis (also ND and WI) and can confirm what others have told you here. Your plants won't survive. I brought iris and daylilies with me, convinced I was a good enough gardener to keep them alive. I was wrong and humbled when my lovely plants failed to come up their second year. Gardening in Florida is like starting all over again: new things to learn, new plants to grow, new climate to get used to. You'll feel like a novice for a while but this forum will help you as much as they helped me, I'm sure.

There are daylilies that do well, but they are all of the evergreen variety and for the most part have been grown right here in the state. Hostas, peony, lily of the valley, and poppies won't thrive at all. Your bleeding heart is not at all the same one they talk about here. This one is a vine with much different flowers. Leave yours where it is.

The bee balm (monarda, right?) should be OK, so if you want to try one of them, make it that one!

Kate

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Would have to agree with the other and add this is definitely the worst time of year for temperate plants. You might have some luck in winter but only temporary.
    I grew bearded iris for around eight yeras by putting them in the frige and growing in winter. Not really worth the effort. There are sooo many species to choose from but probably types you've never heard of. gary

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Ok I must disagree on the Hostas but here me out. I grow them in my screened in porch in a pot.However I think it would be more trouble than its worth to cart them all the way to Florida.I think the trip would do them in.

• neenee50_gmail_com
    12 years ago

HI!
    I see this thread is a few years old.......but perhaps someone is still around to see/reply to my post?

I am also moving from Minnesota to Florida.

I am not planning on bringing any flower plants, but would like to bring my rhubarb and chives. What about other herbs(parsley, dill, rosemary)?

Thank-you in advance.