Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fatamorgana2121

Holiday Gifts for the Herbalist in Your Life

fatamorgana2121
14 years ago

I thought it might be fun to come up with a few last minute gift ideas for folks shopping for the herbalist or herb-lover in their life. My two suggestions:

1.) Electric coffee grinder

Faster and easy than mortar & pestle for chopping and grinding up small quantities of dry herbs. Invaluable for making up tea blends or grinding up dried chili peppers from the garden.

2.) Electric tea kettle

Who doesn't like a good cup of herbal tea? I got hooked on electric tea kettles years ago. It's faster than a microwave for a single cup of tea and it's great for kitchen or office.

Any other suggestions?

FataMorgana

Comments (5)

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Mini-food processor, which holds about 2 cups. I have had mine for a year, and it is invaluable for chopping large quantities of herbs, and also for chopping onions and other vegetables with herbs. It is very easy to clean, and they come in a range of prices.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

One of the best gifts I've ever gotten was a big box of assorted glass bottles to be used in making herbed oils, vinegars, etc. They were collected (by my friend) over the year at flea markets, yard sales, antique auctions, etc. so you can imagine the variety! A big pile of new cork stoppers was included in the box.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

A selection of the less common herbs and spices - sumac, juniper berries, asafoetida, nigella seeds to name a few - for the 'herby cooks'. Perhaps a few recipe cards included.

Also for the 'herby cooks', a nice mortar and pestle, or a pizza cutter - very useful for chopping fresh herbs.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

Oh there are so many things. A few that I like to receive and give are:

1) Herb Books, including Herbal Cookbooks;
    2) Herb Magazine subscriptions;
    3) Herbs, seeds and clippings;
    4) Gardening gloves and tools;
    5) Pots and potting soil;
    6) Membership to the American Herb Society or any local botanical garden;
    7) Herbal Teas with a nice tea cup;
    8) Herbal Soaps, Bath Salts, lotions, candles, etc.;
    9) Hand made herbal blends for teas, cooking and/or baths;

1. Herbal vinegars, oils and butters;

. . .and the list can go on and on!

And it's always helpful to provide information with the gift on how to use it. Lots of people out there are afraid of herbs because they don't know how to use them.

Happy Winter Holidays!

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

Along the line of equipment, I used a crock pot this year to make hot infused oils, filling a quart widemouth mason jar with herbs, covering with olive oil, and heating in a water bath. Then I strained through nylon net, put the oil in a double boiler, another useful item, and added 1/4 beeswax to stiffen the ointment. I loved the fragrance that comes out from the various herbs, and made presents from them putting the ointment in baby food jars since I didn't have a source for cute small jars. I usually combined several herbs in one salve, with comfrey as a main herb. So there were several items I used that would be useful gifts.