Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Late Emerging Hostas

donrawson
14 years ago

Help me out with any additions or revisions to my list of late emerging hostas. Thank you.

LATE EMERGING HOSTAS

ÂAmerican IconÂ

ÂAphroditeÂ

ÂBlack HillsÂ

ÂBright LightsÂ

ÂChoko NishikiÂ

ÂCutting EdgeÂ

ÂDeep Blue SeaÂ

ÂEskimo PieÂ

ÂEternal FlameÂ

ÂFortunei cultivars

ÂFranceeÂ

ÂFujibotanÂ

ÂGold StandardÂ

ÂGreen FountainÂ

ÂGrey GhostÂ

ÂHoneybellsÂ

ÂIndependenceÂ

ÂInniswoodÂ

ÂJimmy Crack CornÂ

ÂKinkakuÂ

ÂManhattanÂ

ÂMountain SnowÂ

ÂMountain SunriseÂ

ÂMr. BigÂ

ÂParadise PowerÂ

ÂPraying HandsÂ

ÂOn StageÂ

ÂOrange MarmaladeÂ

ÂRevolutionÂ

ÂRhino HideÂ

ÂSnow CapÂ

ÂStained GlassÂ

ÂSugar DaddyÂ

ÂSummer SnowÂ

ÂTokudamaÂ

ÂTokudama AureonebulosaÂ

ÂTokudama FlavocircinalisÂ

ÂTopazÂ

ÂWoolly MammothÂ

ÂYellow RiverÂ

Comments (25)

• flowerchild59
    14 years ago

Add montana hatsushimo, and ginrei, they just emerged a day or two ago here around the same time as on stage.

• jennaj_z4mn
    14 years ago

Add Sutter's Mill, Hollywood Lights, Lakeside Frosted Mint--they all are just coming up in MN--Zone 4. My others are up at least a couple of inches or more. Thank you so much for doing these lists Don--I am always referencing them!!!

• donrawson
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is 'Stained Glass' late to emerge? Or plantaginea?

• joebar
    14 years ago

my two patriots are beyond slow- loaded with eyes, but lazy as can be.

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago

I have two Guardian Angels, One in full morning sun for about 5-6 hours and one in a very shady area, both are just barely peeking out.

Independence and Great Arrival: Still a no show

Francee and Patriot: Have two of each, 25-30 eyes each, first ones up for me for last 3 years.

Manhattan, Orange Marmalade, Stained Glass, Deep Blue Sea, Marilyn Monroe, Gold Standard, and Snow Cap and JOTN: JUST broke ground last week.

I don't know if this means these are all slow to come up for everyone, just my experience.

• joannemb
    14 years ago

Is Carrie Ann also late emerging? Mine are still coming up one by one (I mass planted them as edging, and have 26 out of 38.) They were bare root plants that I planted in October.... wondering will they always be late to arrive or was it just because this is their first year?

• bunnycat
    14 years ago

I don't think Cutting Edge is slow...au contraire! Mine was up and leafed out with Montana A. and Sagae. It is enormous, 20" high, and yet there are others nearby still barely visible. It will start to spread out and cascade down at some point, but sure isn't slow here in western NY. Had snow on the hostas a few days ago.
    It's a wee bit dark outside now, but you get the idea.

• Eleanor B
    14 years ago

Not sure if others have the same experience, but I have had Lakeside Black Satin for @ 8 years and it has always been late.

• hostahillbilly
    14 years ago

I cast a vote for plantaginea, at least here in U.S.D.A. Zone 4b, along with it's progeny 'Aphrodite', always the last one here, given the same lighting.

HH

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

Find it peculiar that Joebar and Alexis are having opposite experiences with respect to 'Patriot'. There is no doubt that location within a garden influences shoot emergence, undoubtedly due to differences in how quickly and how far the ground temperature increases. Certainly for me, I have several clumps of 'Fortunei Hyacinthina' in different locations in my yard and the one that is in complete, but open shade, for most of late winter/early spring is always the last one to break ground.

A great many of the Hostas I have are planted in nursery pots of varying sizes and those black pots will heat up the roots a lot earlier than any I have planted in ground. I can make confirm however that given similar circumstances in terms of locale, certain cultivar families are much slower than others to emerge. No doubt 'Fortunei' cultivars, as a family, are later to emerge. That includes of course 'Patriot', 'Francee', and yes, 'Gold Standard', along with 'Revolution' and 'Striptease', to mention just a few. I would be shocked to hear from Alexis that her 'Patriot' and 'Gold Standard' are next to each other, with the same direct sun exposure. More than likely a good deal, if not all, of what she is experiencing is due to differences in the micro-climates of the 2 locales.

'Rosedale Spoons' is slower for me than say, 'Risky Business' for instance, by quite a bit.

Pieter

• alyciaadamo
    14 years ago

Is Queen of the Seas a sleepy head? All my hostas are peeking out except for this one.

I guess it is way different for up here in the great white North! The ones that are the biggest in order are Heatwave, Montana A., Cathedral Windows, Loyalist(1 out of three the other two are still buding) and then Alex Summers the rest are just buds ranging in just poking through to almost an inch tall. Patriot was one of the later ones to bud for me. Some stuff only started taking off once I moved the mulch away.Plus all mine are all babies! Except for Sagea and Frances Williams.

• in ny zone5
    14 years ago

I have the same experience, the amount of light = heat a hosta location gets, and the depth of the planting will influence how fast a hosta will emerge. As an example, I planted my two m. 'Aureomarginata's with much mulch on top and behind large arbovitae, and they are coming up as fast as the others, and certainly not the first. There is no sign yet of m.'On Stage', as predicted. I have several hostas growing in shade behind thick stands of daffodils - very slowly.

• joebar
    14 years ago

mamma mia and clifford stingray are both lagging as well. striptease is looking gorgeous as ever and my captain kirk and paul's glory are taking their time as well.
    it seems that the el cheapo hosta's with the twenty letter names are the first ones up and look good to boot with many eyes.

• hostadom
    14 years ago

I've got several types in several locations. Differences in warmth and amount of sunlight are definite factors in the rate of emergence.
    I've got a Bright Lights (warmth and sun) that's as developed as my Sagea and Liberty and a couple of Bright Lights that are just peaking through (darker and cooler).
    Orange Marmalade is on the list but mine is at least middle of the pack.
    My 2 slowest are the On Stage and Jimmy Crack Corn. Stained Glass is also pretty slow.

• aka_margo
    14 years ago

I second Jimmy Crack Corn, and I would also like to add Bingo to the list. I thought I lost it, but low and behold it was just weeks behind the rest of the hostas in the bed.
    Jen

• User
    14 years ago

Blue Mouse Ears, new to my garden late last summer, is the last to rise here in 4b (west suburb next to Minneapolis). Abiqua Moonbeam, Northern Halo (also new), September Sun, and Elegans -- all in the shadiest spots in my gardens, also are just shoots while all my other hostas are up and leafing out.

• hostahillbilly
    14 years ago

FWIW, in a very sunny bed, our H. ventricosa 'Aureo Marginata' is running waaaaay behind the Liberty, Tattoo, and Paradigm in the same bed . . . all plants the same age and size when originally planted.

hh

• gayle0000
    14 years ago

Dick Ward and Bright Lights are S-L-O-W for me to peek out and to open up.
    Gayle

• tomahawkclaim
    14 years ago

Ones not showing yet at all:

Pandora's Box
    Limey Lisa
    X-Rated
    Little Sunspot
    Guardian Angel
    Mt. Snow
    On Stage

Ones sprouted but not yet unfurled:

Bessingham Blue
    Abiqua Drinking Gourd
    Gray Cole

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

Inniswood is always the last one to emerge in my garden, after On Stage, Choko Nishiki, Stained Glass, Praying Hands, Revolution, etc. But when it finally emerges, it's like a rocket being launched!
    Slowest Mini I have is Itsy Bitsy Spider. They are now beginning to show signs of life.
    All of the MUS Family are up and growing, although the latest addition, Mouse Trap, is extremely slo-o-ow!
    Hopefully, it will improve with age.

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago

Pieter,

You are correct in your assumption, and I should have thought of it myself. Both of the Patriots are not only in full sun in a raised bed. But it is a tiered raised bed and they are on the top tier.

Still a no show: Independence, Great Arrival and Bright Lights. Not sure if that is a permanent condition, I may, or not, take a peek this weekend to see if there is any signs of life.

• idiothe
    14 years ago

Paradise Backstage... slightly slower than its relative, the notoriously slow On Stage.

the plantagineas are all slow for me... plain, Aphrodite, and Ming Treasure.

re: others mentioned...
    Orange Marmalade, Gold Standard, and JOTN are not particularly slow... in fact, Orange Marmalade is one of the first "eye-catchers" to unfurl with bright colors. Stained Glass is slowish, but not last to emerge.

Patriot is on the slow end, but not slowest. Those big purple eyes start coming up, but seem to take quite a while to open up.

same with almost all the Tokudamas (including Bright Lights and Blue Shadows)... slower than median, not on the far end of slow - but if they make the original list, I guess I'd include Blue Shadows... I say almost, becasue the yellow Tokudamas, while very slow to grow, are not as slow as the other to emerge...

• justretired
    14 years ago

In my SE Minnesota garden Sunpower and Krossa are the last to finally peek their little heads out of the ground.

JR

• shade_tolerant
    14 years ago

Two more, Gin and Tonic and Sea Sapphire.

• hostahaveum
    14 years ago

My long suffering slow pokes are my 4 year old Second Winds- a beautiful solid very dark green, I have 5-6 at various levels of shade & sun all are still just about 2 inches up on May 1st -z.6b. Whirlwind its sibling & every other hosta I own is leafed out & growing nicely . After he catches up he does well ,just one late riser here in my gardens.