Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Annabelle as a companion to Hosta?

thisismelissa
14 years ago

in my hosta garden, I have pretty dense shade in some places. A designer at Gerten's Greenhouse told me that Annabelle Hydrangea would do ok/well at the back of my shade garden.

This would be nice if I could screen out some of my neighbor's ugly landscape. About midway across the garden, you might see my hose reel... behind that area is where I'd especially like to screen. The goatsbeard I planted there 3 years ago hasn't really grown in size, so I like the idea that the Annabelles could get to be 4+ feet tall.

The Anabelle's I have out front get about 6 hours of morning sun and do well, but tend to have some leaf burn out by the end of the season. They were 4 feet tall in their third season.

Has anyone used Annabelles at the back of their shade garden? Got pics?

Comments (14)

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

Here's pics of mine (planted 05) under group of boxelders - dappled shade at most. Mine get pruned by critters to the ground each winter and dependable grows back and blooms better each year. Neighbor has 4-5 along north side of garage and are gorgeous.

{{gwi:960451}}

From other side, next to Elegans
    {{gwi:960452}}

and flower
    {{gwi:960454}}

Paul

• loisflan
    14 years ago

I have Annabelles growing in full shade, and they are wonderful. I cut them back to 6" every fall and use their blooms along with spruce tips for winter decor. I have also dried some and have them inside.

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paul and Lois.
    How tall do yours get in full shade?

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

I'm guessing 3.5 to 4' tall and width maybe 6'.

Paul

• yardmom
    14 years ago

My Annabelle never got more than about 3 feet, but it was in mostly shade and there was probably some root competition. My Lime Light was a much better grower, but it was in more light.

• gayle0000
    14 years ago

Great pics! I'm sold. I'm getting some!
    Gayle

• User
    14 years ago

I have almost 60 year old Hydrangea Paniculata (old fashioned PeeGees) on the north side of my house and in the shade of a huge maple. I cut them down to 12 inches every fall and they grow to 4 - 5 feet high by midsummer. They are very floriferous, but the blooms are half the size of Annabelle. I love Annabelles, but in less than bright shade I've observed, they tend to be pretty floppy.

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

I love Annabelle. I have 6 of them lining one side of my hosta garden. They get probably 2-3 hours of direct sun per day, and no flopping. Give them plenty of room, because they get huge! Mine are planted 4 feet apart, and they've grown into each other.

Deanna

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

Annabelles are beautiful but even in full sun they tend to flop. You might want to check into Incrediball which is supposed to be a stronger stemmed version of Annabelle or Invincible Spirit which is a pink flowered arborescens type. Limelight is also great, but does seem to bloom better with more sun.

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

I have Annabelle hydrangea in shade, with maybe an hour or so of dappled afternoon sunlight, at best. This will be my third year.

I cut mine down in early spring / late winter to about 6 or 8 inches. I was told NOT to fertilize them - fertilizing them makes the blooms too heavy and they flop.

I've also heard with enough water, they do well in sun, but that was someone's experience in zone 4 (I'm zone 5).

• hvaldez
    14 years ago

manyhosta-you have a truly beautiful garden. the hydrangeas are wonderful. I have not ever seen such a vast amount of them. What is the dark bronze colored plant next to them on the corner of the house near the light post?

• loisflan
    14 years ago

Melissa, I agree with Paul on size, about 3.5 feet. They do "flop" in a heavy rain though.

• User
    14 years ago

Hvaldez,

Thank you for the kind words about my garden. The purple plant at the corner is Physocarpos 'diablo' (Ninebark).

Here is a closeup with hydrangea blooms.

Here is a wider shot from the bottom of the slope.

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Manyhosta...
    I had a feeling you were going to say diablo!
    I just got a diablo ninebark tree form for my front landscape. From the street, my annabelles are going to be its backdrop.

The tree form is really cool. It's trained into a standard, not grafted.

I'm excited about it!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH