Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

A funny pest story...

leafwatcher
10 years ago

Well I was walking around the yard this morning watering some newly planted tree's, Hydrangia and of course Hosta ! When suddenly I spotted half of some round fruit or veggie laying in my backyard Hosta area. I went over and picked it up.. it was a medium sized unripened tomato.. Stuck on the side of it was a big old ugly slug, one of those near albino scifi looking mutants. I shook him off and worked him into the limestone edging with the sole of my boot.

Well I got a coffee, and was sitting on the porch swing thinking how that slug must have worked to get a tomato that sized from the garden 20 feet away, over to the Hosta. He had built up a good appetite to eat half of it to be sure.

I sat there pondering the whole idea of it until "WHUMP" another half tomato smashed into the Hosta garden in almost the same spot. I looked up in the tree to see the true culprit scramble for his nest.. A squirrel of course.

And speaking of squirrels have any of you ever seen this? I have found white rocks, always white ... stuck into the shrubs and the trees. I have found them out of the rock garden area and it never caught my attention.. but wedged into the Korean Lilac it does. One day I actually saw a squirrel climb into the lilac, with something white in its mouth.. It was chewing on it awhile, then it lodged it into the Lilac branches and left. I went over there and sure enough.. a white rock..

I guess thats where it likes to leave its dental tools...

Comments (10)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I understand they have to continually file their teeth, as they grow like our fingernails. That's why sticks are always falling out of pecan trees. They use them to sharpen their teeth.

They're interesting creatures. I wish I had a few less, though. But my neighbor feeds them year round, so that's not going to happen.

bk

neighbor's squirrel feeder

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 19:51

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sometimes they dig up dormant roots in the winter, but in the growing season I've had zero problems from the little suckers.

Don B.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

They dig up the daffodil bulbs I plant and leave them scattered on the ground. I think they watch me plant them and want to see if it is anything interesting to eat.

Other than that, and sitting in the tops of the trees and shucking walnuts so the bits fall all over the place, I have little trouble with them.

Sandy

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I used to have a squirrel freeway through my backyard, as my elderly neighbor feeds them peanuts all year long. They don't come into my yard much anymore as both of my dogs would love to eat them. One of my dogs is so obsessed with them that she sits by the back sliding glass door morning until night through the summer. She only takes breaks to eat and pee. Once in a while she gets to chase one, but they're too fast for her. They're fiesty little creatures as well. They'll hang out at the tops of the trees and "sass" my dog if she chases one up there. It drives her crazy!

The main problem I've had with them is that they love to dig up bulbs, and they actually eat tulip bulbs. Someone on this forum told me that if I bury the tulip bulbs 12 inches deep that the squirrels won't bother them. I'm anxious to try as I've never been able to have tulips in my backyard because of this issue.

The only other problem I have with them is that they're constantly burying peanuts everywhere in the fall. The peanuts actually sprout and I am constantly weeding peanut seedlings out of the garden beds. They especially like to hide them in the hosta beds as the dirt is fluffiest in that area.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 21:38

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Yep, they bury corn, pecans and acorns here. I have a nice young red oak that they planted in a pot. But I also have pecan trees coming up everywhere in the spring. Finally learned how to handle that - after it rains, pull them up with pliers.

bk

• sm4657
    10 years ago

Yep, they torture my dogs, too.

I love the pic of the squirrel in the chair! How funny....

I have 4 dogs.....2 schnauzers and 2 poodles....the old toy poodle could care less what's going on outside, but the miniature poodle is obsessed with the squirrel....

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Oh, what cute little doggies! I definitely recognize the "waiting for the squirrel to make a misstep" pose they're striking there. The fuzzy white guy standing up is adorable. I love his puffy little legs!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I was looking at some seedlings this afternoon and trying to guess their heritage. The plantZ around -

SQUIRREL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaAxzIFgNso

• User
    10 years ago

Awwww, Idiothe, I have the UP movie, and it is so cute.

Thanks for the link to that SQUIRREL!!! alert.
    It lead me to the one a bit further down, how to cook squirrel.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to cook a squirrel--the ultimate revenge

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I no longer feed sunflower seeds to birds, so no squirrels. They can not reach the lard cake because it hangs on a bird feeder which has a bucket type protector around the pole. Though they harvested a green pear I noticed. Bernd