Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooserider

Bleeding heart - is it really native

mooserider
12 years ago

Now that everyone has me skeptical about what's truly native... is bleeding heart really native? Most of what I see online is that it's not. But yet I see it listed here:

http://green.kingcounty.gov/gonative/Plant.aspx?Act=view&PlantID=40

Comments (11)

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

Dicentra formosa is a native. Most of the bleeding heart plants you'll buy called bleeding heart are likely some other dicentra. I have both next to each other and the non native ones I have bloom longer and have smaller leaves. But they are obviously related.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Dicentra spectabilis is now named Lamprocapnos spectabilis and is native to China and Japan.

Dicentra formosa is native to the Western US and is easily spotted in the forest in OR and WA. Be warned, in the garden it can almost become invasive. It even grows vigorously in dry shade under Douglas firs where of course, it is in it's natural habitat.

Dicentra eximia is native to the Eastern US

Most that you find at the garden center are hybrids such as 'Luxuriant', 'King of Hearts', etc. I find them much smaller spreading than the native. Brighter, prettier flowers too though I grow them all. I think I have about ten all together.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Actually the typical situation for native bleeding heart in nature is a moist place, where it will often be seen in my area with vine maple - another indicator of moist soil. Yet, it is true both will grow in seemingly drier situations in cultivation. Wild occurrence might have to do with the fact that there they will never ever be given water, and have to be located where there is some insulation from unusually dry summer years in order to survive. Or the moister places are where seedlings are able to take hold and live through the early years, a stage of vulnerability no longer being experienced by specimens having reached typical sizes sold at outlets.

I continue to find D. formosa 'Bacchanal' the most striking of them all. It was originally selected in Bothell, WA. A white form of the native I am growing is also very nice.

• botann
    12 years ago

I have a white form also. The foliage is a bit blue. Not quite blooming yet.
    Dicentra formosa, our native, is the predominate groundcover in a fifty year old, forty acre, stand of Red Alder next to me.
    {{gwi:1073485}}

{{gwi:1073486}}
    Mike

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Yep: moist deciduous woodland.

• kristincarol
    12 years ago

Grows in the Redwoods of California, too. (and all over my yard--those seeds sure to travel!)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I meant that our PNW Douglas fir forests are it's natural habitat not that our Western OR/WA forests are dry.

The bed in my yard is dry as a bone

I have 'Bacchanal' and do really like it. I have the blue foliaged white one too though do not know the exact cultivar. I have 'Spring Gold' too and the spectabilis 'Gold Heart' and the normal one.

I have not had good luck with 'Burning Hearts' have had two die. :(

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Blue foliaged white one might be 'Langtrees'. Unless it's all white.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Yes, I think it is 'Langtrees' here is a picture. Meant to deadhead the daffodils but didn't....

'Spring Gold' just starting to bloom

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Now that is thoroughly irritating. I haven't moved nor deleted my photos. Sorry.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!