Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yonga_gw

What should I Plant?

Yonga
10 years ago

I live in Washington state in the Seattle area and just started gardening. What would be a good vegetable or fruit to start with? Something except for peas, tomatoes, and pumpkins.

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Might be something of interest below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening Fact Sheets

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Is it that you don't care for the flavor of peas, tomatoes, or pumpkins, or do you already grow them?

What are some fruits and vegetables that you would like and be proud of growing on your own as opposed to buying from a store?

The easiest and most care-free edible plantings might not be the same ones you would like to eat. I wouldn't grow zucchini, for example.

• Yonga
    Original Author
    10 years ago

larry_gene,

I already grow peas, tomatoes, and pumpkins, and I care for the flavor.
    Which would be better to grow, squash or chili peppers?

• Yonga
    Original Author
    10 years ago

larry_gene,

I already grow peas, tomatoes, and pumpkins, and I care for the flavor.
    Which would be better to grow, squash or chili peppers?

• bosaapje
    10 years ago

Between squash and chile peppers, squash would be easier to grow assuming it's a summer squash or a shorter seasoned winter squash. You CAN grow chile peppers here but they usually like a lot of heat. If you decide to do peppers, try to get one that's known to set fruit in cooler climates. I think WSU and/or OSU extension office has websites with some varieties than might do okay. I'm South of you, down in the Longview/Kelso area. I've grown Thai Hot from store purchased plants that did well, even in pots. Be careful thought, they ARE hot! :) Right now I have some called Matchbox that I grew from seed. They're loaded with green peppers but aren't ripe yet.

• bosaapje
    10 years ago

Between squash and chile peppers, squash would be easier to grow assuming it's a summer squash or a shorter seasoned winter squash. You CAN grow chile peppers here but they usually like a lot of heat. If you decide to do peppers, try to get one that's known to set fruit in cooler climates. I think WSU and/or OSU extension office has websites with some varieties than might do okay. I'm South of you, down in the Longview/Kelso area. I've grown Thai Hot from store purchased plants that did well, even in pots. Be careful thought, they ARE hot! :) Right now I have some called Matchbox that I grew from seed. They're loaded with green peppers but aren't ripe yet.

• bosaapje
    10 years ago

Wow, GW is having issues with posting. It appears the message isn't posting but it actually does...twice!

• Yonga
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same happened to me.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

A lot of fruits and veggies do wonderfully well here in western WA so the question is more of what do YOU like and when do you want to grow it?

Fall vegetable starts are appearing in garden centers now and feature all manner of cool season veg - greens, brassicas (Cabbage, kale, broccoli, Cisco's favorite Brussels sprouts, etc.), many root vegetables and garlic and onion starts. There's even time to grow a crop of snap peas.

Berries are great choices for this area. Strawberries, raspberries and relatives and blueberries all do very well here (consider all the U-pick farms!) but are most often readily available in late winter/early spring as are most fruit trees. And while it is not so critical with the berries, be sure you select fruit trees from among those varieties best suited for our Puget Sound climate. Box stores don't always select based on that criteria so look at better local nurseries or garden centers.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

If your squash or chili pepper choice is due to limited space, the peppers would take a lot less space. Chili (hot) peppers are more reliable and will mature and turn color more easily than bell peppers.

Many summer squash stay in bush or clump form (zucchini) and do not take the space that winter squash do.

Chili peppers can be dried and stored long-term. I still have a jar of powdered peppers from the 1990s in the freezer.

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

I am a fan of pole beans, strawberry or raspberry, zucchini (just one is enough ha), cucumbers, and kale. I do peppers but it's iffy if they do well. They look ok this year bc it's been so hot but most years I only get a few, not worth it.