Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

NEW: Cracked Pot Gardeners **Feb**

Michelle Reynolds
16 years ago

FEBRUARY SEEDS BRING MARCH JUGS(bottles, pots, ect...)

This month we will have a seed trade, I will e-mail everyone with their buddy for the month and you will send your buddy a seed themed gift(seeds,seed starting supplies, books, mags, markers and gifts if they want them)

. please check your buddies trade list to see what they would like.

don't forget to post when you send out and when you receve. try to use delivery conf #s it rilly cuts down on hurt feelings and lost packages. please don't be shy about posting hints, and make sure your trade pages are up to date(I will update mine later tonight)

lets have a great first month

micyrey

Comments (127)

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello
    well I have started packing, I always start early becuse I usuly re-pack several time before I'm happy with it. I spent some time yesterday potting up some seedlings so they wont dry out so fast, I'm keeping my fingers crossed they wont be dead when I get back. I'm going to start my vegies, toms peppers eggplant, when I get back so I wont have to worry about them. I had tons of cannas germinate from the seeds I got from the theme garden swap, so they are now in 8" peat pots so I can water them rilly well before we go.**canna like wet feet(sitting in water) right?

I also have bunches of tiney patunias, I'm a little worried about these I don't want to water them tooo much. unfortunently I only got one passion vine to germinate, maybe I did not soak then long enough(2 to 3 days) or maybe to long.

I'm gonna be on the look out for neat seeds in florida, but I don't think they will let me take plants on the plane :)

I will be in and out of the chat room today please e-mail me if anyone has a time when they can chat.

I have winter sowed delf. too and they did fine.

well thats all for now
    have a great day everyone
    micyrey

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Just a quick update, my box went out today by priority, so should arrive with in two days. USPS # 0307 0020 0003 4320 4886.

Deb

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Michelle have a wonderful trip! You can always stop in SC and see some of your Cracked Pots! *grin*

Bring me back some love! (And some good plants! *grin*)

• hmle2217
    16 years ago

I just sent Thelwig55 her seeds earlier this week. I hope she gets them soon.

I received my seeds from fcoffill. Thanks Frances. I got a variety of coleus (mosaic variety), marjoram, alcea hollyhock, parsley, hot pepper mix, cilantro, dill, malva zebrina, shirley poppies, some nicotiana (3 packets) and plant labels. I feel so spoiled. Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

hmle2217
    Your 'wants' list fit my seedbox very well. I hope they will grow well for you!

• scottrell
    16 years ago

Hello everyone! please put me down as received! I got my package from Linda yesterday. I love everything! Linda, thank you so much, you are so thoughtful. I am going to have to change my wants because she filled so many of them! I got 3 kinds of zinnias, 4 kinds of gourds, lettuce, dill and parsley! I also got a journal notebook, the cutest notepad and a very beautiful handpainted pen. Thanks again!
    Hey Micyrey, yes canna do like their feet wet. What part of Florida are you going to be in? Maybe I can reccomend some gardens to visit?

• sguanzon
    16 years ago

Hi guys, I know Patty received my box.....my delivery conf says it was delivered. Just prior to that she had emailed me that she was having computer troubles. Maybe that's why she hasn't posted - anyone heard from her?

Sue G.

• galium
    16 years ago

I've been in touch with thelwig55/Tammy. She said that she would be mailing to her partner soon.

Sue I haven't heard from Patty.

I still haven't heard from the following members with their Plant Hardiness Zone:

debbya
    hmle2217
    thelwig55
    micke
    esiuol
    pattygrow

Please post here or send me an email.
    Thanks,
    Mariann

• ibartoo
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Sharon I am so happy you liked what I sent. I kept thinking of stuff I should have slipped in after I sent it. Oh well, I may send another one later........

I keep reading about you all winter sowing so many things that i have decided I just gotta do it too.... I have some poppies and a few other things I want to start. I haven't ever wintersowed before so it will all be an experiment.

I have had great fun meeting and chatting in the chat room, maybe soon I will get a chance to meet everyone else.

I am going crazy waiting till can plant outside, I don't know how you ladies in the colder zones do it! I would be nuts!

Has anyone tried hybridizing hostas? I read about daylily hybridization, but I wondered about hostas.... Any ideas......

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello
    I think it was sassy that I was telling about my 7 foot
    tall cosmos, do these look like you cosmos? this one is
    way over my head, the monarchs just love these.

this one is next to the 6foot fence, the top of the plant
    was over it by the end of the summer, they look like cosmos to me.

we are going to orlando and will making a day trip to the coast, my in-laws have been there before and said there is a great nature area on an islane near the space center, I would love to go to a nice garden or butterfly house, if anyone has segetions.

by for now
    micyrey
    ps this is my "greenhouse" in the basement, not all the lights are in use yet but I will be planting lots of seeds when we get back. it is hard sometimes to keep the cats out, there is catnip growing on the bottom shelf :)

• scottrell
    16 years ago

Hi! I like your setup Micyrey! If you are going to be in Orlando area - Harry P. Leu Botanical Garden (Orlando), Wonderful place with a butterfly garden. I must tell you the Butterfly garden to beat all is in Coconut Creek Fl. It is called Butterfly World. If you are a butterfly person like me, and I think you are! LOL! This place is a must! There is nothing like it in the whole world! It is worth the trip! The place is filled with butterflies, hummingbirds, plants, vines, flowers, parakeets, lorikeets (they will actually fly over to you and let you hold them) Oh! I could go on all day! They also sell seeds and plants.
    The picture looks like orange cosmos and pink zinnias, they can get really tall in summer. Have a great trip!

• hmle2217
    16 years ago

Galium,

I'm in zone 9. Thanks!

• micke
    16 years ago

I am mailing my box off to my partner tomorrow, it is ready to go:)

will post the confirmation tomorrow.

I am in zone 6

• thelwig55
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone, I have been MIA for quite awhile, I was unable to get to the Roundrobin forum for a month or so from the main page, It kept telling me loggin failed!
    I am able now to log in, and relieved. I missed the first swap and I am behind with the second.
    Debbya, yours will be going out tomorrow morning, Sat. sorry I am late. I want to Thank Mariann for helping me out with the round robin and getting Debbya address for me.
    I saw above Zone info Needed, I am in zone 6

Look forward to really getting involved in the group.

I received my seeds from hmle2217 today, she sent me a very nice assortment, some will be new for me, which makes this very exciting and she sent me some daylily seeds, which was very exciting. We just bought out Flynns Daylilies out and we just started out growing the seeds, I have 500 crosses in my basement now, so this summer and next year will be so exciting to see all the new flowers. Plus this is my first year WS, I am hoping to have some beautiful gardens this year. Right now they are pretty ugly, I dug out 3 beds this fall, so I have lots of rooms for all the new seedlings!

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I'm in zone 5.

Deb

• hmle2217
    16 years ago

I'm so glad you got them! Enjoy and happy gardening.

• galium
    16 years ago

UPDATE
    Micyrey -- S
    Galium -- S--R
    Micke -- R
    Beckilove
    Kalena67 -- S
    Sandlapper_rose -- S -- R
    Veja11 -- R--S
    Debbya--S
    Pixiesluvplants--R
    Sassyd -- S
    Thelwig55--R
    Mellen--S--R
    Hmle2217--S--R
    Fcoffill -- S
    Ibartoo--R
    Wynative --S--R
    Esiuol--S--R
    Pattygrows --S
    Scottrell -- S--R
    Squanzon --S -- R

Tammy I'm glad you were able to log on. I've had password problems before and know how frustrating it is.

micyrey/Michelle-The orange flowers look like Cosmos to me. Some varities can get very tall. I know you'll have a fun time at Disney World.

Linda-Good luck with your winter sowing. I'm not even finished with mine yet. My DD is visiting with us and I asked her if she would help me. She said "Mom, when have I ever shown any interest in dirt". LOL

{{gwi:1238922}}
    Mariann

• thelwig55
    16 years ago

OK I am now online and I have my seeds ready to sent out to Debbya and now I lost her mailing address and decided late last night to delete all my e-mail out of all my folders and guess what I delete out Debbya address. If anyone logs on that has her address please send over, thelwig55@yahoo.com.
    Thank you, Tammy

• wynative
    16 years ago

CAROL!!! Good news - your package is finally on its way! :) conformation # 0306-2400-0002-2656-5032 Sorry that there has been so many problems with getting this to you. The items I ordered for you, has not arrived but have put an IOU in and will send them when they do. Thanks for being patient!

Micyrey ~ Way what a great set up you have for starting plants! I have a few tulips that I am forcing but the seeds I haven't got started yet. The temps are in the 50's & 60's this weekend and I plan to get some of it done - keeping my fingers crossed!

Marie

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

oh Micyrey!

you make me wish for a basement! or a shed or (dare I say it???) a greenhouse!!! (oh heck, I'd settle for a potting bench in the yard) We can go outside almost everyday here anyway (except in August when it is just too darn hot) I really want a light setup for my tropicals which always make me feel like a monster in winter because I have to bring them indoors. Every year I tell myself the 'spiders' have to go, and everyyear the sit on the dining table turning brown.... maybe next year I will find a better solution.

The cosmos are wonderful!( Mine were 5' tall this year, biggest I have ever seen them!) do the yellow ones get bigger?

My 'wintersown containers are full of sprouts, many need to be transplanted into bigger pots already. Any one know a good source for deep nursery pots. (I'd really love the ones that clematis come in, TALL and narrow)

Frances

• thelwig55
    16 years ago

Frances, you are so luckly to have sprouts, my jugs are frozen solid. I get used pots from a landscaping company, they just throw them away, These are mostly gallon size, but free.
    Tammy

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Hi Tammy!

what a great idea, unfortunately all I have nearby are "big Box" stores and a few small mom & pop type outfits who do not actually grow most of their own plants. No nursry containers, no nursery.

oh well will keep looking.

Sprouts! oooh I have sprouts! actually I hardly have a container without sprouts and I haven't even started the annuals.

Has anyone grown casterbeans before, the seeds are so pretty seems a shame to bury them in dirt! Do I need to soak tem, scarify them?

Any tips appreciated.

Frances

• galium
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that we have decided to drop anyone, from the group, who doesn't send this month.

We are aware that sometimes there are extenuating circumstances and will take those into consideration.

I don't think that it's fair, to us, to have to chase anyone down. I want us all to have fun with this group.
    Each of us has a responsibility to follow through with our end of the swap in a timely manner.
    Mariann

• hmle2217
    16 years ago

I'm new to gardening and last year my fiance/now husband built me a grow light shelf. Here are some pics:

Top two shelves are decorated with things:

Bottom 2 shelves. I don't have anything on the third shelf yet.

It didn't cost that much to build it either.
    Shelves cost $74.00 at Lowes.
    Flourescent lights ~$32.00 ($8.74 per item at home depot (I have 4)
    Bulbs (warm and cool bulbs): around $18.00

So around $120 dollars, you can have your own grow op set up. I also had him set up switches for me instead of a timer so I can turn off and on the lights with light switches. (he's an electrician).

Happy gardening everyone!

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

hmle2217

I could do that! (still not sure where I will put it) lol, perhaps in the spare bedroom. We don't have a shed (yet) and no basement (ever) but we do have a very rarely used guest room.... (it has good light and I keep plants in there already)

Who am I kidding I have plants EVERYWHERE

curious, how big are the flourescent fixtures? single bulbs? the chains are such a great idea! you can raise and lower the units as needed! I think the only thing it needs is some reflective film to line the shelves under the plants and a humidity tray on the floor (must have for tropicals!)

Thank you for sharing that

Frances

• hmle2217
    16 years ago

The flourescent fixtures are two bulbs with one bulb being a warm bulb 6000k and the other being a cold bulb 3000k (mimicks the sunlight). The chains come with the fixtures so you don't need to buy anything.

I haven't tried reflective film or humdity trays but they would work for tropicals! Let us know if you build one! Happy gardening.

• scottrell
    16 years ago

Hi! I love that setup! Your DH must be a very nice guy. My hubby is also supportive of gardening addiction. I would just like to clarify that ibartoo should be marked as Sent because I received a wonderful package from her.

• sassyd
    16 years ago

OMG! Our ME/MELLEN has so..........sent!!!!! I feel horrible! In our chat thingy I knew she was sending seeds, and when I received the 2nd pack.....all named crosses.............I thought....hummmm did she forget she already sent some? Well no she didn't, I'm just the idiot that didn't catch it! lol Mellen, sent me so many crosses and I can't wait to see babies popping!

Big hugs & kisses Mellen! I love them and I'm so sorry I didn't realize! Have them refrig....how soon can I start them?

About to bust something:)))))
    Have a good night!

Sassy

• mellen
    16 years ago

Okay, Sassy, take a deeeeep breath, now. LOL You are very welcome! I don't know if you have to stratify them or not. In the past, like a couple of years ago, I started some right away without doing anything and they grew. Does anyone here know whether you need to put daylily seeds in the refrig. before planting?
    Mary Ellen/ME

• galium
    16 years ago

Mellen-Daylily seeds need to be rehydrated and prechilled prior to planting. I winter sow mine so I don't have to do either.

hmle-I like your set up. I really should take pictures of mine.

Frances-I don't have a basement or a greenhouse which makes growing seeds a challenge.

Sassy-I forgot to tell you that your DL seeds are on their way again. There are just a few of them 2 are crosses.

Have a great day,
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

hmle2217, It was so funny when I looked at the picture you posted. I have that same set up! My husband bought all the components and put it together for me for my birthday one year. I have mine in the garage. Originally I used it for sowing seeds, but I have gone to winter sowing now. It is still handy for those inbetween times and I also store my geraniums in there for the winter and put a few house plants (like Christmas Cactus) other there for much of the year.
    Anyway, too funny! And I should say "Nice set up"!

Jeanne

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Hi, girls! Sorry I'm running a bit late with this, but my partner's package is going to today with delivery conf. #0103 8555 7491 9900 6477.
    Becki

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Becki,

Your package went out this morning. I have the DC # in my truck I will post it asap.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Pixie

• galium
    16 years ago

UPDATE
    Micyrey --S
    Galium --S--R
    Micke --R
    Beckilove --S
    Kalena67 --S
    Sandlapper_rose --S-- R
    Veja11 -- R--S
    Debbya --S
    Pixiesluvplants --R--S
    Sassyd --S--R
    Thelwig55 --R
    Mellen --S--R
    Hmle2217 --S--R
    Fcoffill -- S
    Ibartoo --R--S
    Wynative --S--R
    Esiuol --S--R
    Pattygrows --S--R (but hasn't posted)
    Scottrell -- S--R
    Squanzon --S -- R

If I've made an error please let me know.
    Mariann

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Mariann, I wanted to let you know I got the daylily seeds today, thanks so much girl!

Sassy

• thelwig55
    16 years ago

Hello Ladies, my package went out today, Should be to my partner in a couple days!
    Tammy

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I received a beautiful flowered box from Marie today, a bar of coconut lavender soap hear shaped box of cancy, lucky lady bug, my favorite bug, lots of seeds veggies seed pkts a handmade card heart shaped votive holders, a cute lil bag with matching coasters, real cute. thankyou Marie you sent too much but I love it thankyou carol

• galium
    16 years ago

Sue-Patty received your box..She's been having computer problems.

micke sent to her partner # 0306 3030 0002 5449 2661 (she is also having computer problems.)

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

I received my package from Micke today, and WOW! Did you save any seeds for yourself?? lol Thank you so much!! Micke also sent me a pair of gardening gloves, which I'm going to really need this spring when I do my clean up. (I hate doing it in the fall) I also received a beautiful Dahlia tuber, and some commercial packs of seeds! Thank you so much Micke, my seed stash was seriously low, and I LOVED going through them all. I need to go through again and jot down the ones I'm unfamiliar with so I can google them!

I want to let ya all know that I haven't been online as much as I would like, I come in and check on things, and post if I have to, then leave, because I've been experiencing such arm/shoulder pain. I found out yesterday after an MRI that I have 3 bulging discs in my neck (shoulder level) and 2 of them are herniated. So until I can get this taken care of, it will probably seem like I'm only popping in once and a while. I check in everyday, I just can't stay and visit. I've really wanted to participate in the chat room, but I just can't sit long enough and stay comfortable. But I will not drop out!! I'll just seem scarce for awhile. Take care, and Thank You again Micke! Can't wait for next months swap!

Karen

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

I recieved my package from Beckilove today! Thank you so much Becki! a wonderful assortment of culinary herbs! All varieties that I do not have! I cannot wait to get them growing. (I love fresh herbs! in the garden and in the kitchen!) and Butterfly Bush seeds, really looking forward to starting these as well! We have one, and it smells so good! She also sent garden gloves and plant markers!

Thanks again Becki!

Frances

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Frances,
    I'm glad the package reached you! I'm sorry I was behind schedule on this one! I hope the herbs grow very well for you! I too love fresh herbs! I'm glad I found some you didn't have. Take care!
    Becki

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

My box made it. ;)
    I know Michelle's on vacation, so hopefully it reached her before she left.
    Label/Receipt Number: 0307 0020 0003 4320 4886
    Your item was delivered at 1:46 PM on February 23.

• galium
    16 years ago

UPDATE
    Micyrey --S--R
    Galium --S--R
    Micke --R--S
    Beckilove --S
    Kalena67 --S--R
    Sandlapper_rose --S-- R
    Veja11 -- R--S
    Debbya --S
    Pixiesluvplants --R--S
    Sassyd --S--R
    Thelwig55 --R--S
    Mellen --S--R
    Hmle2217 --S--R
    Fcoffill -- S--R
    Ibartoo --R--S
    Wynative --S--R
    Esiuol --S--R
    Pattygrows --S--R
    Scottrell -- S--R
    Squanzon --S -- R

Deb-You are the only one who hasn't received yet. I'm sure your package is on the way.

Tomorrow I'm going to post the March Swap. I'll be sending everyone emails with their partners names and addresses.
    Have a great Day,
    Mariann

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Mariann,
    I'll post when the package arrives.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

I got my wonderful box today from Trina! What an awesome assortment!! She sent:
    A sweet note
    A cutting from a chocolate geranium!
    A cutting from either a Cardinal Olive Bush or a Blossoming Almond - either one will be awesome!!!
    6 ice cube trays from IKEA (I've always wanted to go there!) that she thought I could use for candy making (which I think I definitely can!)
    An awesome wooden box of Covent Garden Pure Ceylon Tea - Earl Gray - can't wait to try this!!
    My favorite - the most beautiful wooden angel figurine, which I assume you made! I LOVE it! I'll take a picture of it pretty soon and post it.
    A really nice pair of gardening gloves
    And a HUGE assortment of seeds!!

Girl, you went way above and beyond!!!! Thank you SO INCREDIBLY much!!!

Okay - here's a pic of the lovely angel she sent - it is now sitting on the window sill shelf in our hallway. I love it so much!!

Becki

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I am sooo happy you liked the box Becki! Yes I did make the lil angel. I had fun girlie girl.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Tammy's seed package arrived today.

Tammy sent~
    Gaillardia/Plume Red
    Mixed cactus seed
    Sunflower/Evening Sun
    Dahlia/Bishop's Children
    Gaillardia/Burgandy
    Buddleia/Violet butterfly
    Cupid's Dart
    Sweet Basil
    Mother of thyme
    Genovese Basil
    Greek oregano
    Catnip
    Parsley
    Cilantro

Thanks so much Tammy for such a nice selection of seeds!

Deb

• thelwig55
    16 years ago

Deb, you are welcome! I was getting worried if they were going to make it there. I sent them out Monday, didn't think they take long to get from Ohio to you.
    Tammy

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello
    well I'm back, sorry deb I did not get a post in before we left, I got your box on sat.
    In my box was:
    several lily bulbs (fragrent) MMMMM
    a cute frog wind chime, I love frogs.
    and many many seeds, I can't list them all but they are all great seeds.
    thank you sooo much deb ***HUG***

I still need to unpack and catch up on e-mails and posts, but we had a great trip, I did not get to go to a garden, I was the only gardener in the bunch and I could not get anyone interested in going. but we went to Sea World, Gaterland, Disney's Magic Kingdom, and Disney's Animal Kingdom, and also took a drive to Merrit Island(I think thats how you spell it) and did some great walks and drives throught the wet lands. we saw the shuttle(from a long way a way) getting ready to launch soon, wild gaters, and bunches of birds(pink spoonbills, ibis, egrets, osprey, and many more), butterflys, and lots of tropical plants I would have loved to dig up :)

well I think all my e-mail have loaded so I check in later.

missed ya'll
    micyrey

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Just wanted to pop in and thank you Michelle for the wonderful package of seeds you sent me. I had a ball looking through all of them and can't wait to see them bloom. You're a sweetie! Glad you had a good trip and a safe one:))

Sassy