Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19735161

New Growth at This Time of Year?

User
17 years ago

Hi,

Has anyone noticed new Sans. growth at this time of year? I noticed it started happening for me in Sept. I've got 4 or 5 different kinds of Sans. that have started pushing up brand new growth from down under the mix, after having been fairly inactive for the summer. Just curious, making me wonder if they're winter growers?

Comments (11)

• jover
    17 years ago

Hi, mine are making on the moment different new flowers, there are about 10 different ones starting, it is like someone (nature)gave a signal.
    I have a nice stuckyi starting to open his flowers on the moment.
    After a stressfull summer with high temperature, the first rains are starting, temperatures are still good but a little lower, enough sun.
    So good growing conditions and you can see it in my plants.
    Of course I am talking about our climate but surely in some part of f.e. Africa will happen the same and plants seem to have a type of memory.

Saludos Herman

• GrowHappy
    17 years ago

I've a Hahnii that pushed up a pup in October! It did nothing all summer, in fact, was on the verge of death. I was pleasantly shocked. A couple of the other Hahnii types seem to have another layer of leaves forming in the center(rosette).

• melissa_thefarm
    17 years ago

A couple of trifasciatas that I've had for a while are continuing to grow, and a S. 'Fernwood' that I got as a cutting in the spring is getting set to bloom. My plants spent May-October outdoors under a pergola, enjoying a lot of heat and regular water, and came in when it got chilly outside. Since then they've been in a fairly warm room that has three windows but no direct sun, and it appears that they like it. I'm continuing to water them about once a week, as they're not acting dormant. They're in clay pots.

Two years of Sansevierias and the interest continues to increase. They're all alive so far, and some are growing. My husband doesn't understand the fascination at all.

Melissa

• GrowHappy
    17 years ago

Karen, I noticed today that my Patens has pushed up a pup! How very exciting! I was checking for growth on other varieties, but all of the Trifasciata varieties appear to be dormant. I can also see new leaves forming in the rosettes of some Hahnii varieties.

GH

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Herman,

Enjoy your flowers for all of us please, I've never seen Sans. blooms in person, I hope to someday.

Hi GH,

How Cool abt yr. Sans. patens' pup, don't be surprised if it take a very different form than the parent plant. I was intially stunned to see this (but have since learned it's not uncommon for juvenile forms of Sans. to look quite diff. than mature forms). I think mine threw its pup in Jan. or Feb. (it was definately in winter). Given that the parent is a fan shape of cyllindrical leaves, I was very surprised to see that the pup's 1st leaf was as flat as a piece of paper. Have since lost the parent (it had been fading), but the little pup happily continues, w/ broad, flattish leaves that are somewhat curved. I'd never guess it to be Patens if I didn't already know that.

Happy growing everyone!

• nanw_4wi
    17 years ago

S. masai and masoniana seem to push up new growth for me this time of year (well...early fall, actually).
    I think it just takes them awhile to push the 'pups' up through the soil, and the growth was actually 'initiated' during the summer.

Karen...(waving...How are ya?!)
    I'd never seen a bloom 'in person' either, as the one that had a bloom stalk last year ended up 'blasting'....but this year my S. parva bloomed and another has a stalk about to bloom right now!

Don't know if the scent is the same on all Sans....but the scent of S. parva was *wonderful*!
    It was very much like that of Jasmine but without the pungency.
    It was virtually non-existent during the day, and very strong at night.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    17 years ago

I always thought S. parva smelled rather like hyacinths. Whatever it smells like, it sure is lovely! :-)

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

I only have a MILT but it started pushing out growth in Nov and since it's in a cool room with very little light I was shocked, pleasantly but still shocked.

• User
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hiya Nan! Waving back, long time no see.

Yeah, one of mine pushing up a new leaf is also Masoniana, pretty nice.

My 1 yr. Patens pup is making odd leaves, original broad, flat leaf, now the others are coming in somewhat folded edge to edge w/ ruffly edges, cute, hard to believe it's gonna end up cylindrical.

I watered & even fertilized these today, it's warm here & they seem in very active growth!

Actually, I do recall now I once saw a large Cylindrica in bloom when visiting out in Calif. Was indoor & so fragrant that I found it by following my nose into the room where it was blooming, in a large urn. Must have been 3 ft. tall & the big urn it was in was easily big enough to fill my arms if positioned to give a big hug all around: quite something to see (& smell)!

• woodnative
    17 years ago

Hey Pirate-Girl
    I am in NJ, and my Sans collection is still relatively young. I have had two Golden 'Hahnis' each produce a pup this fall. I have a small, unidentified spoon-leaf which also just got a pup. I also have a "blue" kirkii, obtained late summer, which just produced a pup last week. This latter plant is being babied in a warm room under lights, and I am glad to see new growth on this beauty.

• nanw_4wi
    17 years ago

I'd forgotten that S. robusta, especially, is pushing up LOTS of new growth right now!

I'm not sure how 'it works', but my S. parva and S. sp. Lavranos & Bleck are both offset grown plants that are only 4? years old...but they're both in quite small pots as they're both rather small in stature.

Both have offset freely (they're stoloniferous, actually) and will likely need new pots soon.
    The parva did spend this past summer outdoors, but the sp. LB has never left the house. It sits permanently in a sunny south window, near the pane, and it does get rather cool there at night.

Remember a couple of years ago I'd posted worrying about that little sp. L&B that was going to flower?
    I was so worried that I'd lose it after flowering, but was assured that there was still a lot of 'action' going on inside that pot. Turned out to be so true, as the original plant is still alive and well!

I'll try to get a photo of it...the blooms are almost opened.

Ispahan....I suppose I could have my 'scents' mixed up! Wouldn't be the only thing;) I guess I don't know, offhand, what a hyacinth smells like....if you can believe that!?