Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariava7

Help with Mandevilla ID

mariava7
16 years ago

What is this Mandevilla's name? We bought some Alice Dupont and Red Velvet varieties a few months ago from a plant retailer. They all are currently blooming profusely. This single plant came out different from the rest.

{{gwi:417787}}

The flowers are scarlet red and long lasting.

No trace of pink and never run out of blooms.

It's leaves are dark grren and smooth. Not like the other mandevillas that have that 'crinckled' leaves.

It is vining exactly like the other Mandevillas, not the bushy kind (Dipladenia). The plant retailer had no idea what it was and would not give us info on what nursery they acquired it. We would like to purchase more of it but need the name so I can search it in the web. Can anyone help ID please. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I have one that looks exactly like that and the tag says Sun Parasol Crimson.
    Karyn

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

Great plant.I'm getting a good feeling that this is a permanent small vine for the bay area. I've only had mine a few weeks and it has grown very fast-from a one to a three gallon (about)pot.The old 'red riding hood' looks faded in comparison..but she's lived through some cold winters here so i give her that...

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn..Hello! You are always so helpful. Thank you so much! Where did you get your plant? Do you know of any source that I can order it?

Stanofh...Yes it is a very good plant. As you can see in the first picture, it grows robust shiny leaves even if it was only potted in a 5 or 6 inch pot. It is more desease resistant than the other mandevillas too. The Alice Duponts and Red Velvets got black spots in their lower leaves a few weeks ago because of that 5 days of rain. But this plant did not get any. I would highly recommend this variety.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Glad to be of help. I bought mine at a local nursery (Meadow's Farm) a year or two ago. It is much smaller and bushier then many of my other mandevillas and it winters over easily inside. It blooms like crazy during the summer and sporatically throughout the winter. I do have to battle mealy bugs while it's inside but have no problems with insects or disease outside. Maria if you are interested in a trade I have a small rooted cutting of this mandevilla.
    Karyn

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Karyn! I would love to trade but I don't have much tropical plants here in VA which I know you love. I have a collection of 80 plus varieties of amaryllises. They grow so good here. Here they are...

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/mkaea62/

Ohhhh, if I were in the Philippines, I would have LOTS of plants to trade. Email me of what kind of plants you are interested though. I might get lucky and might have a pot or two.

Maria

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Maria your amaryllises are spectacular! There are a couple I'd love to trade you for. Maybe I have some other plants you are looking for. You have pics of some plants that must have been taken in the Philippines. What in the world is image 398? That's so cool looking. Take a look at this amaryllis that's up for auction on Ebay (( http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-rare-Worsleya-The-Blue-Amaryllis-Hippeastrum_W0QQitemZ110162323463QQihZ001QQcategoryZ25463QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )) Click the link between the (( ))
    Email me at my AOL address.
    Karyn

• mariava7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Karyn! These amaryllises just grow so good here in VA even without a greenhouse. They keep me busy. I can have flowers all year round by scheduling their blooming time too. I have my own hybrids (seedlings) also.

Anyway, Image 398 is called "Pride of Burma", Amherstia Nobilis. And yes that pic was taken in the Philippines. Some nice people in this forum, just like you, helped me ID this plant correctly.

Ahhhhhh...yes, the "Blue Amaryllis", Worsleya...
    {{gwi:1313497}}

{{gwi:1313499}}

I would love to have one but rather not. I'm scared I can add up to it's being an endangered specie. I'll stick to plants that would be happy and flourishing in my growing conditions/area.

I'll email you...