Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isjigsaw

Tomitillo Going Wild?!?

isjigsaw
15 years ago

Recently we decided to add tomatillos to our annual garden and have had good luck getting the plants to start growing. After a two week absence while on vacation it appears that our tomatillos have taken steroids and are now springing up like a virus in our entire garden.

We only transplanted two plants to the garden and now it seems that we have close to a bazillion of them. The new plants are smaller in size of course but have exactly the same leaf structure and flower shape size and coloring. No fruit on the new plants yet though the two original plants are developing nicely with many promising pods growing.

Now my question is this, what the heck is going on!?! We have plucked out most of the "wild" plants so that the rest of the garden will have room to grow but have left two of the new ones that sprung up by the house (50 some feet away) going to see what happens. These things just about choked out our other tomatoes and completely suffocated beets, carrots, lettuce and such.

I thought that tomatillos were in the same basic family as the tomato and have never heard or read of them spreading like this. Please note that we have not planted tomatillos in the past nor have we had this happen before.

The tomatillo variety we planted is the Toma Verde, though next year I think we will add some Purple Milpa as that should add good color to the salsa.

TIA.

James.

Comments (13)

• terrybull
    15 years ago

never heard of that.i planted two and i still have two.they do get big and a very nice looking plant.

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

Volunteer tomato plants?

• isjigsaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok,

Here are some pictures of the two plants in question.

the top two are the good tomatillo, one is the plant the other is the flower.

The bottom two are the "volunteer" plants.

Are these the same thing? Talked to neighbors today too, they have never seen these in the area either. Then again they never heard of tomatillos too.

James.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatillo Pictures

• james_in_lapine
    15 years ago

This is the 3rd year for me growing the Toma Verde and the first for Purple Milpa. I have only had the branches take root if left on the ground. I have not had new sprouts show up like you say you have. You said transplant so that rules out spilling seed.

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

Yes, they're tomatillos. I grew 2 plants last year in a container on the edge of the deck, and found that a few fruits that escaped me have managed to reseed themselves between the deck and the fence. Pulled them out as there are still bags of them in the freezer. Surprising really, I didn't think that anything here would reseed itself, especially heat lovers like tomatillos.

They're kind of like ground cherries in that regard - if you drop a fruit, or they get blown around by the wind, they'll take over your yard.

Like salsa?!

• lunamoonie
    15 years ago

I am part of a shared garden space in my condominium complex and a neighbor recently planted tomatillo plants in a nearby garden area. Although they have yet to bear fruit, I have had a several "volunteer" tomatillo plants sprout up all over my garden area. I have pulled some of them out, and kept a few.

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

I can understand volunteer tomatillo plants that appear the next year from the berries that dropped the preceding year, but I can't understand two new plants being planted in an area that has not been planted with tomatillos in the past showing volinteers in the same season that new plants have been planted.

Tomatillos are only remotely related to tomatoes. They are in the genus Physalis which is one of over 100 different genera in the family Solanaceae. They are most closely related to those decorative chinese laterns that many use for fall decoration.

Carolyn

• isjigsaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well the volunteer tomatillo plants MAY have come from a slightly distant neighbor. He saw my plants growing and came over to ask if I had any extra fruits as he FORGOT to plant his this year. My garden area is probably the most open dirt in the general area and thus the volunteer plants. I guess I have my answer. Thanks all for your posts.

Today we finally were able to pick some and have a salsa planned for this weekend. Two plants yielded us aprox 5 lbs of tomatillos. there are probably 20 other pods growing.

Now if only my tomatoes would ripen up... Weird weather this year.

James.

• Renee Gavino Thompson
    last year

Anyone know how to get rid of tomatillos for good??? We are building an house and have HUNDREDS over several acres. Cleared the land a year ago and didn't have any until several months ago. We did not plant any and don't have any neighbors close to us so have no idea how they popped up unless it was somehow something the crew ate (they throw their food and garbage all over). HELP! We have been pulling them up but want to ensure they do not and cannot come back.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

Wow - a 14 year old post comes back to life!

Tomatillos grow wild in Mexico and reseed themselves easily. It may take years to completely get rid of them. If you don't let them fruit then they can't reseed themselves but the existing seed bank on your property may last a few years yet.

• docmom_gw
    last year

My sister had never grown tomatillos, and didn't know what they were. This spring, she has about 8 volunteer plants in a flower bed that are putting my purposefully planted specimens to shame. I think they are even more resilient/pervasive than cherry tomatoes. Probably similar to ground cherries, though not necessarily related. They make great salsa.

• cactusjoe1
    last year

Mice loves tomatillos - at least in my garden. They will pick a fruit, scurry off to a safe place and munch happily (i presume). They have their favourite spots and I get clumps of tomatillo seedlings all over the place - a lot of it quite a distance from the tomatillo beds. i leave some of these to mature and fruit so that i can at least have a larger share of the varieties I grow and like.

• HU-658434494
    8 months ago

These plants have taken over my garden all well. I was actually wondering if they could voluntarily come up like cross pollinated tomatoes produce cherry tomatoes here in Tennessee the next year. I feed my chickens tomatoes that go bad or are eaten by horned worms. I use the manure the next year..... Thought this could be the cause perhaps?? I really do not know.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County