Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgood4u

NEW: A few of my favorite things--seed swap

mgood4u
18 years ago

Anyone interested? I thought of doing a swap where everyone sends in 3 types of seed from their VERY favorite flowers or veggies. They don't have to be rare or named but does have to be a plant that you absolutley love to see growing. (named, rare, or not). For example--one of mine is Linum rubrum (Scarlet Flax). I grew it from a seed trade last year and I loved it so much when I saw it for the first time. I made sure I saved a lot of seed for this spring. After I get all our favorites I can figure out a way to divide them up amongst us. Any takers? Dawn-mgood4u

Comments (71)

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is a great question Dale. I think that around 20 seeds of each type is good. But of course if you have more to send of it that will be all the more I can spread out amongst us. Know what I mean? I will do my best to make you sure you all get a good number of each type back. The more the merrier I like to say! lol.

When I emailed you all my address I copied and pasted and sent you all the same message. So I know it wasn't a very personnel message. I hope I have answered all your questions here. But if not please feel free to email me and I will email you personally. I just wanted to make sure everyone got my address right away. Thanks again everyone--this will be neat!

BTW~ Is anyone here into veggies or mostly flowers? Some like both or one or the other. Dawn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is a good pic of one of my favorites, Scarlet Flax. Actually the color is so vibrant that this doesn't even do it justice. But it is awfull close. Thought you might enjoy seeing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: linumrubrum

• schechoski
    18 years ago

Hi Dawn,

Can I join? This sounds like fun and I can have my favorites to you by the 14th.

Sue
    schechoski

• patty_b
    18 years ago

Hi Dawn, I mailed my six today. Also included some empty small plastic baggies in case you choose to divide. I know I would be happy with small samplings(1/3, 1/4, etc.) of more varities than a whole trade of six. Thanks so much for hosting.......Patty
    ps. I am interested in tomatoes if others are. I sent a couple of my favorites.

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

Dawn
    Is it too late to join? Send me details please!

Sue

• ladyblues1965
    18 years ago

My seeds are on their way!!

Kelley

• uptreasa
    18 years ago

Patty b, I wonder if it was you that traded with me in 2003. If so, thank you again for all the wonderful seeds I have enjoyed so very much! Dawn, I sent out 3 of my favorites today, with an extra serving per packet. You may divide. Thank you. Treasa

• patty_b
    18 years ago

Yes Treasa....it's me. I remember all the goodies that I got from you too. I think we included some of our favorites at that time also. Patty

• eln2002meyer
    18 years ago

I can mail mine by Thursday if it is not too late to join

Ellen

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

My seeds are on the way. Thanks for hosting. !

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, so there are 21 of us. Great! I have got lots of seeds today. I have seeds from:
    Marcia
    Patty grow5
    Donald
    Cherie
    Ann
    and Aline
    Thanks! You guys are fast! Dawn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We got some great seeds already guys! Thanks for sending so many great ones! And thanks to those of you who sent one for me to try--I love them and can't wait to start the GW faves garden! Also, thanks for the extra seed bags!!!! I have none! lol. They go very quickly!

Do you guys want me to post what each of your favorites are? Or would you rather be surprised when some of them (or all if possible) come to you???

• drippy
    18 years ago

I vote for surprise! That's part of the fun of the swaps for me.

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

I like the surprise idea, too. Perhaps once the seeds are sent out and received, we can post links to and/or photos of our favorites and explain why we like them :-)

• alinehuey
    18 years ago

Surprise me! Only thing I ask is that if it is a perennial that it be a zone five. By the way the ones I sent are zone five.
    Aline

• uptreasa
    18 years ago

Aline, I sent one annual and two perennials. Both of my perennials are hardy here in my zone 4. : ) Treasa

• ladyblues1965
    18 years ago

Suprise sounds good!! Feel free to divide what I sent and keep some for yourself if you like any I sent.
    Kelley

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay--surprise it will be!!! Good idea Marcia-everyone can post their favorites after the swap if they want to. Got more great seeds today from:
    Kim Wheeler
    Ladyblues1965
    Firefly

You have some great favorites that I haven't heard of. How exciting! Can't wait to divide and send! Dawn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

One of the swappers emailed me a note about what she is sending. One of her favorites inparticular had a touching story that comes with it. So I thought it would be nice to post for everyone. She said she didn't mind.

"and 3 packets of a pale lavender morning glory that helped bring up my spirits after Katrina. I always keep some of these to share and now I really know why. Massive amounts of tree limbs and debri could not keep it down. The garden it grew in was the landing spot for a tree with a three foot diameter trunk.It's reclaimed it's space in the garden winding it's way toward the sun through all of the fallen tree limbs and producing those precious little pale lavender blooms!"
    Looking forward to having some of someone else's favorites!
    Happy Gardening!
    MimiB1 ( Brenda Shiflett)

• uptreasa
    18 years ago

Wow, this Morning Glory is very, very special!!! I had to hold back tears. I sure would love a few seeds of Brenda's precious Morning Glory. If it doesn't have a name, I'd call it 'Brenda's Katrina'. Thank you. Treasa

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

How is everything progressing ??

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't posted over the weekend. I have been really sick! Yuck. I got a lot more seeds over the weekend.
    Grannymarsch
    Patty Brown
    Linda
    Ellen
    Treasa
    Claudia
    and S. Chechosta-----I didn't get to open them all yet since I have been sick. We are waiting on a couple more I think. I am going out to get more seed bags for dividing and they will be on the way! Thanks DAwn

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. Take it easy and Get Well Soon !!

• uptreasa
    18 years ago

Dawn, get well. Take care of yourself. Thinking of you. Treasa

• MimiB1
    18 years ago

Dawn, we certainly hope that you are feeling better. There is so much Flu going around here. Please take care of yourself. We are thinking about you! Also, please let me know when you receive my seeds. The mail here is still a bit quirky so I am just hoping they arrive shortly. No mail for 3 or 4 days and then a whole mail box full!

Treasa, please email me your address so that I can send you some of the Katrina Morning Glory seeds. I am very happy to share.
    Brenda

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all. I think I am still waiting on about 5 or so envelopes.

WHO WANTED TOMATOES????? I cannot remember who emailed me saying that they were interested in tomatoes! Thanks Dawn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Never mind. I found the tomatoe lover! lOL. Thanks for all the get well wishes. It does seem like everyone is feeling sick!

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I figured I better get dividing. So, I have been dividing forever! lol. I finally got all I have received so far divided as much as possible. I have a huge tupperware bowl filled with seeds! I used all the seed baggies you guys sent plus 400 bags I bought today! No exaggeration. There are really great favorites here! I am certain that everyone will get a large variety coming your way--so get the potting soil ready! heehee. I will let you know when yours comes Brenda. Not yet.

Thanks guys, I am feeling better--now everyone else in the house is sick! Hopefully we will all be healthy for the holiday! Thanks again for sending soooo many great seeds for the swap! Dawn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think these are who were are waiting for. If you have decided not to send PLMK! Thanks --Oh, and if I said I got yours and I am confused....Correct me! lol
    We still need seeds from:
    Disgett
    Clay_Lady
    Romando
    MimiB--I know yours are on the way!
    BeverlySC
    Sguanzon
    zztopsoil--love that name! heehee.

• uptreasa
    18 years ago

I am soooooooooooooooooo excited!! : )
    I feel like a little child on Christmas Day, full of anticipation, hope, smiles, joy, and wonder. This is wonderful!
    Thank you Dawn, and thank you everyone for sharing your favorites with the rest of us. : ) I am absolutely tickled! Treasa

• farmerbell
    18 years ago

Dawn, I can't wait. Every day I check the mail looking for more seeds. I need SSA (Seed Saving Anonymous)! Thank you for all your time and effort. I certainly hope you are taking a sampling of all the seeds that you can use. Stay well.

Ann

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ann~

My momma didn't raise no fool!!!!!! LOL!

I am sampling a few of course! And I have also added a bunch of my favorites into the mix. Right now I have too many seeds. (If that is possible!) I want to WS about 120 varieties--but I just don't think it is feasable! lol.

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No seeds came today. I know it is the 14th and although I am anxious to start dualing out the goods, I can wait a couple more days and see if some of the others arrive. There are 2 that I know are on the way for sure. If that's ok. Of course, I have enough seeds here now to send to anyone who wants theirs mailed out now. Just let me know! Dawn

• drippy
    18 years ago

120? That's all? Last year I WSed ten times that (not a course of action I recommend - I spent all summer being the Madwoman of Chaillot trying to get stuff in the ground, LOL!).

And I'm probably going to do it again...sigh,,,is there any cure for this disease?

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

I told myself I wasn't going to winter sow or buy seeds this year! Huh, that promise lasted a long time--until about the first frost! I don't think there is a cure, but as my husband said--if you are going to have an addiction, this is a good and fairly cheap one :)

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kim~ what did you sow them all in? I will never come up with enough milk cartons or pop liters. Not only that but I'll never have enough room. What works good for many seeds outdoors?

• drippy
    18 years ago

Dawn, I like containers that are about the size of 1 lb. margarine or cottage cheese containers. I've used those, but since the lids aren't clear, you have to cut out all but the rim and a little extra (just the rim isn't enough), stretch plastic wrap across the top, and use the ample rim to hold it - punch holes for transpiration in the plastic. One of our grocery stores here also packages fruit salads in clear clamshell containers about that size. While I worked there, I gathered many - if you're not shy, ask for the used ones in the produce department - a stack of them go to the trash compacter every day. I also buy clear containers in lots of 50 at a local restaurant supply store - they're not too terribly expensive, and I'm getting a second season out of most.

I'm not above raiding recycling bins if I get desperate!

Good luck,

Kim

• uptreasa
    18 years ago

Kim encouraged me after I was very down in the dumps about my winter sowing a couple years ago. Thanks to her sweet picking me up, my winter sowing was a success, just like she and others said it would be. I do about 600 pots or more. I like using the 4 inch plants pots, and many old freezer containers which I've accumulated for my WS. Then I use plastic over them as needed. I have them to use year after year now. Thanks, Kim, for your very kind encouraging words back then when I needed them. : ) I am hooked on it now. Treasa

• disgett
    18 years ago

I didn't send mine in---maybe next time---I am sorry. Dale

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WEll, looks like I 'll have to buy all new tupperware! lol.
    MIMIB--got your seeds today! Thanks.

I spoke with Romando and Clay Lady and their seeds are on the way. If it is okay with everyone I am going to start dividing tonight and probably by the time I finish them all the other seeds will have arrived.

My final exam is cancelled tonight due to snow so I have some free time. Although I should study. But I'd rather play with seeds a little more! I can fullfill some wants by the looks of it so at least I can get those in the envies of their new owners. lol.

• alinehuey
    18 years ago

Thanks Treasa You just opened my mind to containers I have in cupboards downstairs that I am no longer using in the freezer that I can use for winter sowing. Now to find a use for the lids. I have a whole bunch of pint freezer containers that I have not used for years that I could not throw away.
    Aline

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was just sorting through some of the seeds. We truly have a ridiculous amount! lol. I think I will go swimming in them. Anyone for a pool party? lol. We should all get probably around 20 or more packs each I am thinking. This is a fun swap.

• drippy
    18 years ago

Whoa, Dawn - 20 packs after sending in 3 and postage for 3? We don't want you to wind up out money here - if you really think that's the way it's going to be, I would suggest you put up a new thread explaining that you need us to send more postage. I know I personally would be happy to send some along - but I'd likewise be happy with a lesser number of packs - whatever, but organizing a swap is a lot of work (which is why I don't do it and love those of you that do, LOL); it shouldn't cost you money too.

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Feel free to ask for more postage, baggies, whatever, to make it easier for you!
    Marcia

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kim, thanks for thinking of me in that way. The majority sent in 2- 37 cent stamps so I am sure they will be covered. I have sent out seeds before with the same number of packs inside and they all arrived with no problem. I am sure the postage will cover it. I am not sure how this works but I have heard people say that they received seeds with postage due on them. I figured this meant that the mailer didn't put enough postage so they got their seeds but owned some money for the difference. Does this mean that if someone owes a few cents it will arrive regardless? I will be putting them in a mailbox since they will already have the postage, rather than taking them to the PO. I truly think we are fine with postage. The envelopes aren't really all that heavy. Thanks Dawn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks also Marcia. I go through baggies like crazy and I do so many trades that they all come back to me in the end. They just travel around a bit in the meantime! lol. I really don't mind the extra stuff that comes with this swap. This is my first seed swap, so I am not burnt out yet! heehee. Actually, I am really enjoying it a lot. I love dividing seeds and putting them in the cute little baggies. Call me goofy, I guess I am just an addict. Give me a bunch of baggies and seeds and I am a kid on Christmas! Anyways, what I am saying is, don't worry about anything. I got it covered and I am happy to do so. Thanks so much for offering the help! I just hope those seeds arrive here soon-I am ready to roll here! Dawn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all. I am hoping the 2 seed envelopes arrive today. I plan on getting all your seeds out the beginning of this week. I'll keep ya posted! Dawn

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi. Got Clay_Ladys seeds today. Thanks!

• uptreasa
    18 years ago

Aline, I'm finally going to cut the lids into plant markers, even if they are a little short. Treasa

• mgood4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Please see the update thread.