Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyroseviolet

Too Mainstreamy, but the association is good, I think I will stay

lilyroseviolet
19 years ago

As a commercial artist I see the world changing with an effort to buy/win over the consummer with out much spiritual investment or rather it seems that machines have replaced live humans and their unique potentials.

The sad thing is our culture is brainwashed to accept this as in good taste. It also makes for an effort of intergration of paradigms.

For example, most artist no longer actually put in the "homework" to get accomplish work. The job has been "quicken" ( the work has been taken away, now you pay some one else to do it for you)and thus the results dont have the richness that many of us glutons for intergrity and creatively talented with unique contributions to better the world with delight and joy or uniqueness want, rather than clip on art or borrowed/prostituted art (when one sells ones creativity with the sole purpose of making money and with no regards to taking responsibility for what is produced-) I would enjoy being wrong on this one,though!

This is much like GMO seeds. But I did want to share here on this forum that I still have not yet found a decent web site or reference(s) regarding my search for:

yeilds from crops grown from saved seed verses purchased seeds such as Pine Co and the likes. What especially puzzles me is that first of all it is my understanding that once a farmer agrees not to grow any terminator or GMO seeds per contract the following year except to purchase seeds a new from that same company or else where. The main concern is that those seeds may not turn true when used from saved seeds and may prove extremely poor quality seeds if any attempt was made to use the daughter seeds. IN fact the genetic code in the pollen may also cross pollinate with a farmer who organicly grows ( nearby to far away) and saves his seeds for planting the next years crop.

One other question, shouldnt organic farmers be connected by bodies of land in order to better protect heirlooms which are already in a pretty classy position and have no need for improving? Zoning regulations on imposing new gmo around organic farmers should be considered if it hasnt already in demographics and wind currents, migrations,etc. IN that case, we need to protect the highest purest seeds which will come true from its parents and are not *%$@ and thus have unpredictable outcomes. And I understand this has been happening for some time. But I think diversity is the answer, a diversity of diversity is good,too. LIke that Polar Bear and Grizzly thing...the offspring would be adaptable to more . Is that good for Human ecology, as isnt that what the world is about? WHat is in our best interest?

The greatest threat to our food supply is (it is my understanding) -is that all the seeds will cross pollinate with the break down of sexually proliferating to evolve into sterile seeds, instead hand pollination may be the methods of the future as all insects may be owned and those not owning insects will have to hand pollinate. Or will there be pollen to cross polinate with? Or is is the terminator only terminates the male or female? I guess I dont quite get it yet.

Also, water will be the new fuel of the future as soon as we figure out how to compost and the agroeconomy starts sustaining itself.

I really glad that there is a food system that is very concerned about preventative diseases. I learned that nutrients/foods/diet/prevention will someday be a requirement for medical students education. I wondered its contents? I think that our current staff is too political...however, that is their job to do politics, and universities may feel obligued to accomidate a large contributor, such obigations are uncomfortable for all parties.

Here is the bottom line...

Does the seeds saved mean the farmer is now instead having up to offer the best 50% as well as what was traditionally sold at market? WOuld this be considered as higher yeilds and better crops? Then next year, if the crops didnt do as well, how would a farmer know if its the seed or what the culprit would be? I know climate would be obvious.

I do feel positive that our universities are finally setting into preventative mode. I think alot has to do with all the fancy technology and large corporations who have swifty brought us to the point where our health can finally start regenerating instead of degenerating!

Comments (12)

• joel_bc
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Interesting post, Sue. Much to think about. I agree with you in some of your thoughts about art (my wife is a professional sculptor). Also some of your other ideas.

Stay in the dialogue here. And best of luck on the land, with your art, homeschooling, etc.

Joel
    (western Canada)

• marshallz10
    19 years ago

Hi Sue; you have an interesting member page and seem to so busy and creative. I have a neighbor who is, with her husband, a painter and recently pulled her two children out of public school for home schooling. She does some gardening but also buys eggs and vegetables from my farm.

Don't take this wrong but you seem a little confused about seed growing, saving, and properties. For more than 10,000 years people have been collecting and saving seeds for later replanting; each year they took pains to select the seed from the best plants for the next plantings. Some of these have come down to us as Heirloom varieties which are always "open-pollinated" (OP)) and genetically quite diverse.

When these OP heirloom varieties are grown out, no two plants are exactly alike. The advantage here is that if a pest or disease or bad weather strikes, some of the plants might resist damage even though most of their sisters might decline. So over the years OP heirlooms will change as each generation of reseedings adapt to existing conditions.

Plant scientists began uncovering the secrets of plant genetics and how to direct changes in plant properties over a century ago. Before the mid-20th century, plant breeders developed means for controlling hybridization of major food and fiber crops. A farmer could then purchase a hybrid variety with known (predictable) properties, These "first generation" (F1) hybrids have nearly identical individual plants (or very limited genetic diversity). These directed hybrids usually also offered higher yields brought on by what is called "hybrid vigor" and so are very attractive to farmers.

Hybridization can happen spontaneously, of course. We see that in our gardens when different kinds of corn cross-pollinate and the next year's replanted corn seeds show the effects of crossing. In the old days, cross pollination led to plants with different traits found to be valuable. Farmers and early plant breeders replanted seed from these new-ish plants and reselected for those desirable traits over generations of replants. Eventually these hybrids became "stable", that is, when their seed was planted, the resulting plants came true to type. If you have seen the word Traditional applied to an old-time variety, this often refers to an earlier stable commercial hybrid.

Most farmers dropped the older OP varieties and old-fashioned traditional stable hybrids to buy F1 "improved" hybrid varieties. Unfortunately, hybrid varieties from these processes cannot produce seed that is consistently true to type. So if one replants seed from an F1 crookneck squash, the resulting progeny might produce a hundred kinds of plants with a hundred different fruit types, a few of which might look like crookneck squash.

The farm therefore is required to go back to the seed company to buy the F1 hybrid seed.

The genetically modified/engineered seeds differ in fundamentally different ways from the seeds of yesteryears. Most are described as transgenic in that their engineering involves insertion of DNA materials from other unrelated species of plants, animals or microorganisms. Once these transgenic traits are introduced and pass testing and regulatory hurdles, seed is produced along more traditional lines for marketing to contracting farmers.

Some gm varieties might even reproduced stablely like the old fashioned OP Heirloom and Traditional varieties. In fact, the developmental costs of transgenic crops are so great that breeders work out reproducible lines if possible. The seeds are patented but so are the genetic modifications and even the plant traits. So, you might be able to grow out seed saved from a gm variety successfully but be potentially in a world of hurt with the law. Pollen from a transgenic crop can cross with your related variety so that your food is technically contaminated with the patented genetics too.

This is getting a bit long, ain't it...?

Just a word about Terminator technology. This is not a seed or varietie but a built-in suicide gene complex to stop unauthorized production or reproduction of patented gmos. In some cases, a proprietal chemical materials needs to be applied to a crop to counter the Terminator genetics and so the plants can complete their life cycle.

I hope this helps some.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    19 years ago

Thanks for clearing up some things for me too Marshall

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    19 years ago

It just occured to me while reading Marshall's post that seedless watermelons are fully "terminator" technology!

• althea_gw
    19 years ago

That was good Marshall. Should we just send our $15 membership to you from now on?

• lilyroseviolet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

...why it sounds like a step towards human convience to enjoy more with out wasting time spitting out seeds.

What are the differences/comparisons of the same watermelons (used for the genetic alteration)which do produce seeds as far as the vitality of nutrients and if any differences show up.
    How is the manipulated genetic information ingested by its host and how can that information effect new DNA of another species in the food chain? What are the studies (being)done and what do the results (if any) show remotely to the thought that the nutrient value has not be compromised that the vitality and health of the plant used in consumption is of the utmost of all importance in true agriculture attempts ?

• lilyroseviolet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

After a recent google I found this on proprietal chemical...I guess this isnt helping me understand....could you please tell me better what the term means?

Here is a link that might be useful: proprietal chemical

• marshallz10
    19 years ago

Thanks for the offers of financial support. And other accolades. :>)

Sue, proprietal chemical means a material patented and sold by the company for a specific use or uses for which the patent was awarded.

Seedless watermelons have seed, just so atrophied that eating them is hardly noticable. Sterility is a kind of Terminator technology although pollination is still required to set fruit. Otherwise the technology would be parenthogenic -- fruit production without pollinator.

I don't know of differences in nutrition. We eat the sugar-rich "placenta" and spit out seeds.

There remains controversy over the safety of some gm crops for livestock, humans and other organisms in the biosphere. There has been limited toxicological research on such materials because of a basic assumption called "substantial equivalence", or the novel transgenic constructs do not differ in any significant way from their natural analogs. When no one is looking for effects, finding evidence of adverse effects is difficult. When gmo foodstuffs are not labeled, there is no way to measure effects of ingestion on the large-scale testing required for meaningful acute and long-term effects, if any.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    19 years ago

We eat the sugar-rich "placenta" and...................

Well, the one I bought [seedless watermelon that is] to see if I have been missing anything, looked fairly good before and after cutting. It was about 8 pounds...a large mini. Well, the sweetness was poor so I added xylitol [Glycemic Index of 7] to make it edible!! Texture was not as good as larger home grown "good" melons either.

Be sure to wash melons before cutting as the knife might carry bacteria into the melon.....particularily these imported Mexican melons in off-season.

• marshallz10
    19 years ago

Many melons and watermelons are picked in the unripe state and so never quite sweeten up the way they should on the store or home shelf. In fact breeders look to introduce the appearances of ripeness so as to allow earlier harvesting. We end up with way to many beautiful fruit without real ripe-fruit tastes.

• lilyroseviolet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So again, I hear "breeders" are more concerned about a market plan rather than the delivery of a fruit full of the greatest potential of healthy goodies in it and I am not referring to the new (GMO)pharm foods, either!

I am still unclear to what happens in 3rd world countries and here in the US with the heirloom saved seeds when they decide or have been mandated to use GMOor the likes of? Do they offer it up, use it up themsleves for food or just sell it out knowing that new seed is on its way?

I have tried to find this out in a google, but I find myself unclear to methodology regarding these practises and the uniqueness of each farmers dilemma to purchase gmos for the first time and the dependent need or desire to continue in subsequent years to follow.

Are farmers offered restituition if the seeds dont preform or are there too many tangibles in the growing season.

Basicly, can a farmer get their money back if they are not satisfied and do they have recourse to the seeds of their past?

• ericwi
    19 years ago

-there is a recent thread, on this forum, titled: Peruvian agreement protects heirloom potatos. See below. It pertains to an effort to set up special zone in Peru where traditional varieties of potato can be grown, without being subjected to interference from anyone who owns patent rights to certain seed types. To my knowledge this concept has yet to be tested in court, so I regard it as a kind of legal experiment.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths