Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillianma

Would you reupholster circa 1910 chairs?

gillianma
17 years ago

The dining room chairs in question (set of 4) are English red oak. I'm sorry, I have not yet figured out photos here, but I will try to describe them.

They are ornately but somewhat naively carved. They have the original painted (dark green) canvas seats and backs, which after 20 years of our use (yes, we use our antique and "antique in waiting" furniture)are getting increasingly frayed. One also has a sagging seat. The backs strike me as quite unusual, with decorative spindles, a canvas insert, a fleur de lys motive . . . I'm thinking that they were probably not terribly upscale when made. I must say that they are unusual (I have never seen anything quite like them in my auction lurking in the US) and are very pretty.

My best guess, for want of any better info, is that they are circa 1910. For those who might have better info, the label is "Brough Bros. Cabinet makers and Upholsterers. London Road, Liverpool." I have not been able to track this down.

DH and I bought these chairs as poverty-stricken grad students 20 years ago. DH wants to smarten them up with new upholstery or, perhaps, recycle them. I'd really like to keep them, and do not want to reupholster at all. I love them the way they are, sagging seat, fraying canvas and all.

Arguments either way are welcome. It will be grist to the mill on an ongoing (pleasant but passionate) discussion.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (4)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Class is accepting charming old ( and knowing the difference between old and worn out)..
    No class is having everything restored, refurbished and new.
    Class is having things around that speak of love and use...
    No class is getting rid of anything more than 15 years old.
    Ask your husband if you should get rid of him or have him "recovered" when he gets a few wrinkes, sags and gets frayed around the edges.
    If the chairs are not filthy, leave them as they are....I am sure they are charming.
    Remember when worn and chipped paint was looked down upon? Now it's the height of chic...
    Linda C

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

Maybe it's time to flip a coin.

I would redo them so that they have an even longer life. I would hate to have to sit in a chair with the seat sagging. You can take the time to find appropriate fabric (online if needed) to keep with the time and feeling of the chairs.

I think items which are used daily need maintaining to stay comfortable.

Gloria

• gillianma
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL, and many, many thanks Linda and Gloria!

Your two points of view precisely reflect the discussion going on here. We are taking our time with this decision and it is a pleasant discussion. I think I am going to have to figure out the photo thing so that you can judge for yourselves how "worn and needs care" or "well-loved and keep it" these chairs actually are. I admit the sagging seat is worrying, but I think the painted canvas is charming.

Linda, you are in my corner on the chairs. Thank you! But honesty compels me to admit -- I'm probably more in need of reupholstery than my husband -- so I dare not go there. LOL!

Thanks again, and please keep those opinions coming!

Gillian

• chelone
    17 years ago

There is nothing wrong with reupholstering elderly chairs that have seats that are FAILING. A chair is designed to SEAT YOU... a sagging, failing seat provides little comfort and NO joy for a weary backside. Unless you live in a museum furniture has to WORK, and therefore, wear is unavoidable.

Sure! have them reupholstered. BUT, make sure you speak to the upholsterers and make it clear that you want them to reuse the "stuffing" (it's likely horsehair, the "Cadillac" of filling). Request that the original coverings are removed carefully and returned to you. Keep them in a safe, cool place.

I had the c.1840 sofa redone in 1992. It's handsome.

Reusing materials that are now hideously expensive is the key to a good job.