Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooshwa

36' Wolf DF Range against bar. Need Hood Suggestion!

mooshwa
14 years ago

We are going to be purchasing a Wolf 36" dual fuel range with the griddle in the middle. Its not on an island really, but we will need an island hood, because it will be set into a counter top that has raised bar behind it.

What Hood recommendations would you make for Noise level is very important to me. I need to hear myself think ;)

Comments (4)

• i_n_k
    14 years ago

A griddle is tough, not very many good hoods out there with adequate CFM for that use. I would probably recommend Faber (http://www.faberonline.com) as those you can typically purchase for under $2000. They're very good quality hoods and work well.

Another brand worth looking into is Ventahood (http://www.ventahood.com) as they are more suited to your type of stove, albeit a bit more expensive. The key with Ventahood is they use a multi-blower system which adds power but it's an extremely quiet hood. The capture space is better (it's a little deeper) and again you're less likely to have an issue with smoke, etc.

So where ever you're shopping see if they carry either of those two, and hope that helps a bit ;)

• mooshwa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How are broan hoods: I'm looking at a Broan e63000?

Are these hoods loud. It says its 9.5 sones at 900 CFM. That 'sounds loud'

• i_n_k
    14 years ago

Broan's not bad - they just tend to be quite flimsy (and noisy in some cases) compared to other brands. However price-wise they're obviously lower than most, but the best advice I can give you is to try and find a local dealer who displays it before you make the investment. A hood can become very irritating if it's noisy, rattles, or if the filters are difficult to remove and reinstall. So see if you can't find someone in your area who has it in their showroom.

• aprince
    14 years ago

You're purchasing a top of the line Wolf so I would bet that cost isn't an issue. Why then is cost an issue with the hood? It shouldn't be. That's like buying a sports car but using old spare tires. Sounds and looks good......in idle.

Wolf recommends 900 CFM for that range, but with a griddle, you may want 1100 or 1200.
    Wolf also recommends a 42" wide hood. With a griddle I would say that is very important.

Some manufacturer's supply a duct for 8 or 9 foot ceilings, where as some, like Vent-A-Hood, offer it in addition.

Regarding noise, the LARGER the blower, the QUIETER it will be for everyday use.

In my opinion, for less than $2000, you will be forced to get less CFM and less width than you would like. This will make the hood noisier, and not very effective.

A Vent-A-Hood meeting the recommended Wolf criteria, will be over $3000.
    The Broan, with an external blower of 900 or 1200 CFM would be a good unit but will still be over $2000, probably close to $2300-2500. DO NOT get the internal blower, even though it costs less. The extension on this is for an 8-9 ft ceiling.
    If you can meet the criteria with a Faber, in width and power, that may be the way to go.