Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecwv

36' Pro-style? gas range under $3500

ecwv
14 years ago

I have to select a range, asap, for my new kitchen. My choices appear to be: Fisher and Paykel, Delonghi, Bertazzoni & Fratelli Onofri.

I'd love opinions and thoughts - pros and cons.

note: we are pretty serious cooks, who cook a very large variety of foods from different cultures. We also have young kids and do a lot of pasta, so I like a lot of output on one burner to get that water boiling as fast as possible. I also don't like waiting for an oven to take forever to reach 350. I plan to get the single range, in order to have a large oven. We'll have a second oven in the kitchen.

I really need to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• w0lfpack
    14 years ago

I've heard good things about the NXR and I think its price is inline with what you are looking for. I do not own one and have never seen one in person as a disclaimer.

Alternatively, you may be able to find a showroom floor model that is highly discounted locally.

• labellaluna
    14 years ago

I am in the same boat, ecwv. I have ruled out Fratelli Onofri because we are only considering all gas ranges due to electrical/budget considerations. I had a chance to look at the Berta and a 24" Fisher Paykel today. I like the looks of the Berta and I am not too concerned by the oven size--with the rack at the lowest position, you have 10" (height) until you hit the heating element. I measured my old Kenmore range when I got home and it seems to offer the same height to me when I set the rack at the second to lowest position which is where it almost always positioned. I also rarely have more than one thing going in the oven at a time so I don't need a huge oven. The salesman told me a couple of things worth passing on--only when I pressed him did he admit preferring the Berta because it is more substantial, and there is no doubt about that. While it is true that the FP does not have the heft of a Wolf or a Blue Star (those things are tanks) or even the Berta, it is a home range--nothing commercial about it and I think it would suit me just fine plus I like its European look. He also told me that Fisher Paykel and Delonghi are made by the same manufacturer and just glancing at their specs, they seem to be the same except for cosmetics. He cautioned that FP and D have recently switched their manufacturing to Mexico, Bertazzoni is still made in Italy as it has been for generations. My primary interest is in purchasing an all gas range with some significant BTUs within my budget. I also do not want a lot of electronics--no more motherboards for me. All three fit the bill. And the same salesman told me that while he doesn't sell many FPs, the ones he has sold seem to be doing well--not too many repairs, he said the same for Berta and then added that he has sold many of those so he has more to draw from in terms of repair history. I left undecided and called a friend who has been a Berta owner for 2 years. She said she would not do it again--the oven size is too small for her cooking style and the burners perform inconsistently for her. There are several Berta fans on this forum, I'd love to hear first hand about FP and Delonghi.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

I picked up our Blue Star RCS on clearance from an appliance scratch and dent dealer for ~2880. Ours was neither scratched nor dented. The dealer had bought 10 of them in a warehouse deal from a distributor.

Deals can be had. A high volume dealer in Los Angeles is selling the same 36" model for 3499 right now, advertised on Craigslist. A dealer in NoCal is selling them for 3299. There is a 36" Blue Star RNB (unfortunately has the center two burners taken up by a griddle) on ebay right now for $2700.

If you do not want or need dual fuel and are content with gas, as both my wife and myself were, want a pro-level range with some serious output and a huge oven, then check out Blue Star. Call some dealers, check craigslist, chances are somebody has got some RCS models like mine on closeout.

I could not be more delighted with our Blue Star. It is an absolute tank of a stove. It is simple in every regard, no fancy electronics, no clocks, just a cavernous oven and some really excellent burners. The Italian ranges are lovely things, including a 36" Bertazzoni in Ferrari Red I saw which might be the loveliest stove I have ever seen, but the Bluestars are in a whole different league. They make the Bertazzonis and the Fratelli Onofris seem dainty.

• User
    14 years ago

There's PRO style ranges. And there's pro STYLE ranges. In your price range, you're mainly going to be in the style category. Show no go. Shopping around may find you a deal in the function category, but it will take a lot of shopping. If you're a cook, it will be worth it for a PRO style range, like the BlueStar. And, you just rearrange the budget for your priorities. Cut some $$ from your DW and REF budget. Go with DIY laminate counters for now. But, if you are a cook, get the best instrument you can afford. And, frankly, although the Italians are gorgeous, they don't back it up with performance. Sorta empty headed male models rather than true Renaissance men.

BTW, you might think about a 48" range and nixing the extra oven elsewhere. It'll be more versatile in the long run.