Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shyan_gw

Painting from a second hand shop.

shyan
15 years ago

I bought 2 watercolour paintings last week with very little money, I can not figure out the signature. Does anyone know who paint it? I like the colours, abstract scenary painting.

[IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/kwekyan/arche1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/kwekyan/ABCD0003-4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/kwekyan/signature.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (12)

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

Sorry, but I can't be of any help with the signature, so don't know if it's a known artist or any one of the millions of non professional painters whose works regularly shop up in thrift shops and flea markets....it's nice, though, isn't it.
    Next time you want to post pics from photobucket, choose the 3rd option in the list HTML...this will actually place the photograph into your message, a lot more handy for those you hope to reach.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

The work looks professional to me. If they are original art and not prints they may be by a local artist in your area. You might try showing them to a local gallery. Unfortunately the signature is unreadable.

Is there anything on the back, perhaps the framer's information? They might recall the artist.

• shyan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1389561}}

{{gwi:1389564}}

Thanks for your help, It was painted on ARCHES paper, so I hope it is painted by the original artist.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Look closely at it, preferrably under a magnifying glass. If the color is a made up of tiny dots, it's a print. If not, it's an original.

Annie

• lindac
    15 years ago

I don't think there is much doubt that it is original art....but I don't think it's a "watercolor". I think there is another technique going on here...ink wash? Combo of woodblock print and color wash? I don't know....maybe you can find out what it is and that will narrow down the artist. tote it around to a few gallerys and see what you can fine.
    I like it a lot, by the way!
    Linda C

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Oh, I don't think there's any reason to doubt that it's a watercolor. I've worked in watercolors and see nothing in the paintings to make me question the original medium of the first painting. The second one may be mixed media--possibly watercolor and gouache?

Annie

• lindac
    15 years ago

I didn't see 2 pictures....only one.
    And nothing I see looks like it could possibly be considered gouache.
    I wonder if there is a picture there I can't see? I see an overall picture, a close up and a close up of the signiture.
    Is there more?
    Linda C

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

There are two paintings. I agree with Annie (I'm also a watercolorist) the painting we with the mats around it is watercolor, possibly with some frisket masking, wet on wet technique. The other painting (the close-up) looks to be watercolor with maybe some gouache and perhaps some metallic paint. Some watercolor pigments are more opaque than others (cerulean blue, which it looks to be, is more opaque than other pigments like ultramarine blue) so maybe that's the case here.

Let us know what you discover.

• shyan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1389567}}

This is another painting, the golden color is metallic paint. It is shiny under sunlight, I am sure it is also a real painting, but I don't know what the message of the painting.
    Really appreciate for yours ideas.

• baerbaer
    15 years ago

Hi shyan,

I looked at every conceivable spelling possibility in my "Davenport's" and come up blank. My walls are smothered in landscape paintings and I would certainly have bought the top one! Any chance that there is any name on the actual back of the frame (often in pencil) ?? Maybe under a protective paper layer protecting the back???

If anyone has any good guesses on the signature I will gladly look in the book again (I do not read this site every day so do not fear a delay! LOL).

Tschüss!
    B

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

If you have a local or regional watercolor society or art league, they might be familiar with the artist. Send them a pic.