Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Vintage style kitchen cabs....

patty_cakes
14 years ago

I've read where someone has taken vintage furniture~armoire/sideboard/buffet, etc.,~and used the furniture INSTEAD of cabinetry. However, i've never seen pictures of it actually done, so am trying to envision the final outcome. Has anyone seen this online and do you have the site? TIA

Comments (12)

• Miss EFF
    14 years ago

I have a partially un-fitted kitchen. My island was an antique bar cooler. We removed the rotting wood sliding doors, the galvanized lining, the rosin paper and the charcoal insulation to discover pristine wainscotting. The front had floating panels that we removed (and stored) and put a shelf in the middle so it is open in the front. We then dropped in a piece of solid surface for the countertop.

I then took a 3' by 7' wainscotted cabinet and turned it into appliance and pantry storage. My microwave is in there and is concealed.

I have a open cabinet/plate rack and a very large spice and dry good storage cabinet-- again open.

In the kitchen -- I have 4 traditional kitchen cabinets. One drawer base - 30" base - blind corner - 18" base. The rest are homemade cabinets that we re-figured. After all they are only boxes.

I live in a 115 yo farmhouse in Iowa -- wasn't fancy to start out with.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I know farmhousebound on the kitchens forum did it. you might do a search for hers there. This question would get some response on the kitchen forum.
    clink, can you post some pictures? I'm in Iowa, too, and ready to do the great kitchen remodel in February. I would like to explore this idea more. I do have one piece that I was intending to use.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

OK, I'm really intrigued by this concept. Have never seen it done. I found farmhousebound's post with photos that pinch_me referred to and they are amazing!! (Thanks for the heads up, pinch_me!)

I'd take a kitchen like that any day!!

• mfrog
    14 years ago

We used an old kitchen sideboard & vintage cabinets in our last kitchen. I don't know if this is what you are looking for.

{{gwi:1393560}}

{{gwi:1393561}}

We are using an antique kitchen dresser & a sideboard as cabinetry in our new house. I will take pics tomorrow for you.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm wanting a country French rather than a country sort of look. I recently purchased a 100 year old buffet cabinet with 4 drawers in the center and a door w/ shelves on each end, 6 ft. long. It would hold a variety of things, such as pots/pans/serving trays/cookie sheets, and other stuff. What I would like to purchase is maybe 2 identical upright French style chests or armoires and add glass for dishes, and a couple of other pieces just to 'play around' with. I need to keep in mind something for an island also.

I would love to have done this in my 1 year old new house, but couldn't pack-up the old house, and take the time trying to find these things. I feel I have a start with the 6' piece. ;o)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

The cabinetmaker linked below is the east-coast king of antique-reproduction/unfitted-look kitchens. IMO
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SM, thanks for the site, but still a little to 'kitcheny' for what i'm wanting. I want most of the bottom pieces to be on feet or legs, and no upper cab at all, just armoires for holding dishes, etc. I better get collecting furrniture!!! ;o)

• Miss EFF
    14 years ago

Patty cakes .....

Once my kitchen is clean (its harvest season on the farm) -- I will take some pic and send them to you or post a link where you can see them. I'm in the mood to re-decorate but I need to get my budget to feel the same way!!!!

Cathy

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cathy, do *I* understand!! Am really looking forward to the pix!! Now get to work! ;o)

• darenka
    14 years ago

Patty,

Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me. I don't actually have a lot of hope of getting this one (I'm on the frugality plan for the next two years.) But maybe it's the type of piece you'd like to work into your kitchen. If I do get it pulled together, I'll post pictures someday.....

And for the purists, don't worry, if I got it, I wouldn't paint it teal. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: The buffet I'd like

• darenka
    14 years ago

Sadly, this is probably the type I'll end up with as I've seen several go in the under 40 euro range. This one, I might actually paint teal.... or purple.... why not?

Here is a link that might be useful: And what I'll probably end up with....

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DARENKA, The antique buffet/hutch is gorgeous. Not exactly what i've 'got in my head', but gorgeous never the less. The second one isn't so bad either~not vintage, but nice lines and a good size~glass doors are definitely part of my vision.

I already have an antique(100 yr. old)6' French buffet that I use in the foyer. I would probably use this piece for pots/pans, etc. It has a cabinet on each end, and four drawers in the center. It could also be use to house a drop-in range. Now i'm thinking about the sink/dishwasher/ovens, and how they would be housed. Of course i'll need cabinetry, so i'm thinking 2 identical armoires would work.

I've only been in my new house 1 year, and wish I would have thought ahead. If the market increases enough, maybe i'll get the kitchen I *really* want.....and another new house. At least I can dream. LOL ;o)