Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Gaggenau, Advantium & Plate Warming

plllog
16 years ago

I've rearranged my working plan for the new kitchen and think I can now fit an Advantium. I will definitely be getting the Gaggenau Combi Steam and Convection.

Gizmonike mentioned putting a regular dinner plate right in the Gagg steam to keep warm, and I know one can do that in the Advantium.

What I want to know is whether either of these can be used for warming dishes for serving?

I may still get a warming drawer, but it doesn't fit as well in the new plan...

Thanks for any information you can give me. The stores are hopeless as you all know, and I've exhausted the info in the promo materials (I think).

Comments (7)

• jillypie
    16 years ago

I just used my Gagg combi to warm plates tonite. I put the plates in after roasting a chicken when I removed the chicken. But usually it is much easier to put the plates and the serving dishes in the WO ahead of time. When entertaining, its just one less last minute step.Plus I can be using the Gagg while holding other dishes in the WO.

• susanandmarkw
    16 years ago

I have both a Combi Steam and an Advantium and I use my Advantium as a warming drawer all the time. It seems to work quite well and has never ruined food at all. (Keeps garlic bread and waffles crisp, etc.)

After all the hype about the Combi's reheat properties I did try that with our Thanksgiving fare and was less than impressed. Using the settings Gagg specifies, the food got very damp from the steam. We threw away the first plate and then used a microwave cover which helped, but didn't totally eliminate it. Also, only doing one plate at a time (the only option), and taking 15 minutes a plate, didn't work for me at all. (And even at 15 minutes not everything was hot.) Not that I love what a microwave does to food on reheat, but I found the Combi far less practical and even useful, in the end, at least for that purpose. We did try stacking plates on two levels, but that absolutely DRENCHED the food on the lower level, again causing us to throw it away. So, prepping plates for four would take about an hour. Not very practical, at least not in any house I know.

-Susan W.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

We use our Gagg Combi-steam a lot to reheat/refresh food and have never had a soggy plate or food. The plate or dish does get very hot, however. Our setting is 60% steam, 250 degrees F, which doesn't look steamy inside at all.

• plllog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the replies! Gizmonike, special thanks for the warming a plate of food instructions.

But what about plate warming? That is, warming the plates before putting the food in them?

• jab913
    16 years ago

On occasion I will put plates in the advantium while to warm them before placing food on them. I just stick them in there while preparing the food. Works fine for me.

• homepro01
    16 years ago

Hello Plllog,
    I know you had mentioned this in another thread about the fact that the Gaggenau controls could be put in the countertop rather than face mounted! I found a picture. I reviewed so many pictures of Gaggenau installations and until now I could not find a picture with this setup. Alas, I was looking for glass tile and ran across this picture!

Homepro01

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaggenau Modulars with controls on top

• plllog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Homepro, thanks for the pic!

Looking at the installation instructions for the Gagg gas units I think they might require that the knobs be in the face (that is, they could still be deck mounted, but might require manufacturing a connector to the valves which might interfere with warranty). But I was told that the induction could be deck, the specs sure looked like it, and this installation proves it!

Jab, thanks for the info on the Advantium!