Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tam123gre123

Getting a loan on new construction

tam123gre123
13 years ago

Were getting all our bids together and are fixen to take to our banker in a month or so...... We paid cash ($36,000) for our 5 acres. Were gonna ask to borrow $250,000 to build our 3450 sq ft home... We figured with our land for collateral and putting down 15% cash will be ok......any thoughts? Do you think will

need more cash? Kinda scared with the economy and everything!! Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated!:)

Comments (10)

• newhome4us
    13 years ago

WOW, that's a greast price for land!! And to be able to build a 3000 plus home for that amount...is AWESOME!!! what part of the usa do you live? I was told...they will do loans up to 80 to 90 percent of what they anticipate the finish value is.

what floor plan are you using?

• tam123gre123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mcginnis ferry by frank betz.... Added 200 sq ft and made it a 3 car garage! We are contracting ourself which is saving money, that price is even with all brick, stone and wood floors.... Were in Arkansas

• chad_m
    13 years ago

When I built our home last year the bank we used would loan up to 85% of the appraised value. As long as it appraises high enough you should be fine.

• newhome4us
    13 years ago

omg... i'm in northern virigina and the builders I spoke to so far for the Carinthia (don gardner) or the Allenbrook Frank Betz.... $400,000 ...and that's not sitting down talking about brick/stone/flooring. We are in the beginning stages....and will continue to talk to builders that we know build good houses...but we may concern being our own GC???? ...but the banks don't like that!!!

• dreamywhite
    13 years ago

Wow only $250K for that much sq footage? That seems very low. Are you building on slab or foundation, do you have a septic, well etc? We just built a 2450 sq foot ranch with basement, no brick on the outside only Hardi Plank and we did over $70K worth of work ourselves and GC it ourself and I am very frugal when it comes to prices and it cost $230K all said and done. If prices are that low in Arkansas I need to leave Wisconsin :)

• dreamywhite
    13 years ago

One thing I forgot to mention you are able to GC it yourself, we did it and again for my parents this year. Try Associated Bank if you have one down there, they are a better lender for that type of situation. Shop around because one bank may say no and another will say yes.

• LilFlowers MJLN
    13 years ago

That is the going rate here in my area in Louisiana. My DH and I were quoted on a 3500 sq. ft one story home at $285,000. Hopefully we can build it within the next 2 years. Our current house is 1800 sq. ft and only worth $152,000. I think you have to take the good with the bad. Homes are low priced in our area compared to everywhere else and cheaper to build.

• tam123gre123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dreamy white.... It's a slab and all brick and stone. Hard wood floors downstairs and carpet upstairs.... Our friends just built 3700 sq ft with a builder for 285,000. There in Oklahoma!

• xc60
    13 years ago

I won't even tell you the cost to build up here in Alberta, it's crazy expensive. :(

• robin0919
    13 years ago

You might also ck out Stock Building Supply. They do loans for OB.