Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Can You Convince Me to Buy a New Range?

rococogurl
14 years ago

We are doing a facelift of our 23-y.o. apartment kitchen. There will be a new Miele Optima DW and Liebherr 30" fridge.

Cabinets will be refinished with new hardware. There will be a new, more contemporary color scheme, backsplash and marble counters installed.

The only question mark is the range.

We have a black 23 y.o. 30" wide Modern Maid, gas with self-cleaning oven. There is no vent hood and none can be installed. This range has better output than our DD's Viking, no issues and a large oven. The performance is excellent and since I use French copper cookware the performance of any range is improved. From a use standpoint there is no reason to get rid of this stove.

My query is totally based on aesthetics, which are wanting but not impossible. It's black glass, vintage looking and not an updated style though not hideous either. The main drawback is flanges on each side that will create notches on edges of the new marble counters on each side of the range. It would be nicer to have something without the flanges.

A pro-range is not viable or necessary. I prefer the European styling and a more modern look. This is an apartment not a home. It must be an all-gas range. I do not want any range with controls on a back panel.

I have seen the Fisher & Paykel, which has great style but does not come in 30".

It appears my options would be Bertazzoni and Electrolux.

What sayest you pros who hang out here? Can anyone makes an argument for a replacing what I have with either of those? Any other similar I haven't considered but should?

Comments (20)

• weissman
    14 years ago

Why don't you post pictures of your existing range. Without seeing it, I would most likely tell you to keep it. It sounds like it's very reliable and meets your needs. Just check the posts about all the issues people have with new ranges - even the best brands have problems - they just don't make 'em like they used to. If you can live with the look, I think you're lucky to have it!

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Am aware of posts and issues with this range but need to research and refresh.

Dealer admits oven must be opened when lighting and they get complaints about the lack of oven calibration dial. Need to take a closer look at this obviously -- also double check electrical requirements as the oven is convection. They say it's not powerful enough to require a ventilator.

Here is photo - black range is mine and stainless is the possible replacement. Stainless also would match finish on fridge and dw and help even more to update the look of the kitchen.

It's a very trad kitchen with natural color fir cabinets. Rather than paint those, planning to sand and refinish same color, just cleaned up. Will replace knobs and add modern pulls in bronze or soft brass. The thinking against repainting cabs is that they have ambered at the same rate as the floor and while the wood species are different they work together very well.

Wall color will be Farrow and Ball Stony Ground, which is a neutral taupe. The new splash will have mini subways counter to ceiling in same color (nearly a perfect match - per color sample). Counters will be Calacatta d'oro 3 cm. marble.

I just don't want to swap out a serviceable but unchic range for something new with issues. LOL

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

You say this is an apartment? do you intend to give these new appliances to the landlord when you leave?

• User
    14 years ago

Keep your old one till it breaks. There are lot's of little problems with the Berta. Most involving the oven and weak broiler. Or think about a G.E. BTW, the American Residential range can be found at almost the price of a Berta and it is 10 times better.

• idrive65
    14 years ago

I don't know that I'd put an American range in a kitchen with no vent hood.

• sasafrass
    14 years ago

IMO If you need convincing from us, you don't NEED it. Why spend $$$ just for the sake of it?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Hi Rococo, I miss seeing you.

Weedmeister...in large cities there are plenty of people who live in apartments they either own or lease long-term.

idrive: the entire borough of Manhattan and any house with a recirculating vent rather than an outside vented hood have ranges in them with "no" vent hood. Many locales do not have particular requirements on such, especially if there is a window.

Roc, how much of a notch has to be cut for the flange? Can you crank up the legs so that there doesnt have to be a notch cut into the new counter? The notch required by my Amana slide-in, cut into the soapstone was a minimal bevel on the front edge. Any slide-in will usually require a bit of something. Could you just use another slide in when the time comes?

Then is their any indication that the MM is going bad? Unless there were problems with it I would probably hang onto it. The design is actually quite minimal and even though black, is *one color...most stainless ranges have a lot of black on them so they are automatically two colors IYKWIM

That said we are using this range in a project because of knobs on the front, free of too many doodads and a floor sample: (Kitchen Aid Free Standing) It does have a back console which I dont care for design wise.

{{gwi:1411468}}

Here is the KitchenAid Slide in (although I think this one looks like its smirking at me.
    {{gwi:1411470}}

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Since you are doing a Liebherr, anyway ...what about doing it with a fir panel on the front and playing with a stain to match the ambering. Then you wouldnt have to worry about it.

Actually I think the only "sin" you are committing by keeping it, is combining high and low...Modern Maid being a rather entry level serviceable appliance that seemed to end up in lots of apartments and rentals. I might be tempted to keep it based on that alone.

• ya_think
    14 years ago

Spending all that money on a Liebherr... and more than average on a Miele.... I think it would be a sin to keep that range. If it was vintage cool that would be one thing, but there was nothing cool about the 80s.

(You wanted to be convinced, right?)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I think she is thinking about keeping it because it works well and some of the others she likes esthetically, people in here are saying they suck.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pal, nice to see you, too!

Yes, a lot of the above. The MM is as described. However, after shopping for stoves yesterday only a few of the higher end ranges had comparable build quality. How surprising (or depressing) is that?

The flanges are an issue for the counters, trust me.

Looked at GE Cafe, KA and Electrolux yesterday. I can't see changing out for any of those.

Going to look at the Berta today. Actually, the threads on here are surprisingly positive for that range, though mixed. I had an unusually frank phone discussion with a dealer known here to be very knowledgeable.

BTW -- anyone looking for a Wolf AG there's a $500 rebate.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

You seem to not like slide-in ranges, as opposed to freestanding. I am just curious as to why? Their irreversibility when it comes to having to alter the countertop?

I prefer slide in because they don't have the crevice, but also because I don't like the thing that sticks up on the back of the range, even when there is no knobs there. Its purely a design bias and nothing to do with quality:)

• gabeach
    14 years ago

Hello Roc! I have missed you since not seeing you on Attic!!!
    Anyway, I know you want modern, but were I you, this would be the perfect excuse to get the small LaCanche. I think it is smaller by a couple inches than 30". I love them, and if my stove ever quits (not likely) I will get one and end up with more counter space. Melly

• homepro01
    14 years ago

Rococo,
    Don't forget to shop your local Craigslist when you make a decision. I have seen brand new ranges on my local craigslist that people are getting rid of for half the retail prices. I think the Lacanche would be my first choice if I could afford one too. I would do it in a fun color like yellow with the brass accents.

Good luck!

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey melly -- tried to reach you and emails bounced back! So very glad to see you. Perhaps you know some of the old gang are still around together at a different place?

homepro -- you always have such sound opinions and I know from all the years we've been around here we like many of the same things.

Truth: I'd adore a Lacanche or a Brittania but both are too powerful in a kitchen with no vent hood. This is about making us more comfortable in a reasonable way considering the complexities and cost of doing anything in a NY apt. This is also the backlash of a long "do nothing and sell as is" strategy, then deciding to stay.

Looked at the Berta yesterday. Haven't seen anything else close to being that nice in the price range. Wish I could see one in action and do my own testing.

pal -- I'm not so much for slide ins, electronic panels above where ovens vent, or reaching across burners to controls. Demanding that way as I've been in appliance h*ll and don't plan to go there again.

• idrive65
    14 years ago

"idrive: the entire borough of Manhattan and any house with a recirculating vent rather than an outside vented hood have ranges in them with "no" vent hood. Many locales do not have particular requirements on such, especially if there is a window."

A recirculating hood will capture grease and is better than nothing, but she did say "There is no vent hood and none can be installed." which I took to mean, well, none at ALL. If I could only have a recirculating hood I wouldn't install a pro-style range.

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

"If I could only have a recirculating hood I wouldn't install a pro-style range."

Why? Even regular ranges like GE Profiles come with power burners in the 17-18K BTU range which is as much or more than many pro styles. As I see it, it's not what you're cooking on but how you're cooking that dictates your ventilation needs.

• mommyof14
    14 years ago

IMHO, If it works, and you like the way it performs, KEEP IT!
    They just don't make things like they used to, and I think you'll be disappointed in anything you buy new these days.

• turtleshope
    14 years ago

I would keep what you have! It looks good to me.

• pecanfudge
    14 years ago

Keep your range! Always hang on to reliable appliances. It's performance that counts.