Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smari

Need ideas for remodeling this family room

Maria A.
11 years ago
We are just buying this house. Will start remodeling soon. I am looking for ideas for this family room - overlooking the lake. I think if done right, this will be our favorite room in the house. At this moment, I think there are too many materials competing for the eye (two types of stone, three grains of wood), and the room feels "cold". Any ideas are welcomed! Thank you!

Comments (36)

• Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Note: the wall on the right has wood paneling I don't like, and the room where this photo is taken from has an older hardwood floor and large opening to the family room. (there is no door) There is a beam above which you can see a bit in this photo. The mantel looks like a cement slab (or it might be stone, not sure) and the step in front of the fireplace is brick.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Beautiful Room and great view---looks like my view from my sunroom. Have a question---big or small budget???
  • Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    There is a sizable budget but there are other areas of this house which need attention! :) So, not sure at this point how much of that budget will go to this room... At this point I'm just looking for ideas, possibilities...
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I totally can relate about sizable budget but having to fix other areas---we ended up doing a lot of painting and it turned out great. Since you're just moving in I suggest the same for you. The floor is nice and can work with just about any style. The stone walls however, look too rustic, are too contrasting to the floor, and busy. Since there is sooooo much stone I suggest painting it light not dark. I think the stone AND the ceiling should be the same color, perhaps a soft neutral gray hue-make sure it has ash undertones, not red or else your floor will look very green. As for the paneled wall, paint it 2-3 shades darker of the SAME color of the stone. A new ceiling fan (if you must have one) or a new light fixture and a new surround for the fireplace will look very nice. A sisal rug and tailored panels for the bay... Hope this is helpful and congrats on your new home! SW 7015 Repose Gray for stone/ceiling---SW 7018 Dovetail or SW 7017 Dorian Gray for paneling...[houzz=
    McLean Residence · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Conservatory Craftsmen · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    TJP Designs and Construction LLC
    11 years ago
    The room and fireplace is very nice, but how would you feel about removing some of the stone on the walls? As the song goes ‘too much of a good thing isn’t always good thing!’ Could be the case here! A large colorful room rug would warm things up too!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Love the room I suggest a big flat screen tv over the fire place and a nice black leather couch that will give a nice cozy feel to such a beautiful room
  • Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    wow, nice suggestions! I like one idea someone made to completely remove the paneling and the stone everywhere except the fireplace. Not sure how hard or costly that would be... I also love the arched fireplace but again not sure what it would take to change that...
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    The stone in the photo creeser put up is Divine! If you wanted to replicate it, you could faux-finish the tan/gold stones to more of a taupe/gray hue... Just a suggestion- :)
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    If you're willing to remove the paneling and stone wall, then why stop without doing the fireplace too? Start from scratch and do it all-just remember you could encounter problems along the way-there is no telling what lies beneath the stone and paneling. Good Luck!
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    Rustic Living Room · More Info

4573 AF · More Info

Start by painting the woodwork a light cream color. Then a warm red ocher for the ceiling paired with a room size rug with the same color in it. Get a new fireplace surround or paint the brass black. Get a larger mantle in cream to match the woodwork.
    I can't imagine what painted stone would look like but doesn't sound good. Go carefully with that.
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Visual for you... [houzz=
    European Elegance with an Urban Twist · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Mix it up · More Info
    ]
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I like the stone walls because they are so unusual. I would at least live with them awhile because removing will be major.

The hearth and mantel are the really glaring things to me. That brick especially is one thing too many. Can you have someone give you an estimate to create a wood surround? Or cover in concrete. At least paint the brick a dark, dark gray.

And change out the brass on the fireplace to coordinate to new light fixture.

Mantel needs to be beefed up.

So many ways to go for warming up the room with paint. Like both directions given by Natalie and Dar Eckert. I would look towards my furniture first. Are you starting from scratch or do you have pieces already? With so much already going on, keep it simple and solid color. Select your furniture and area rugs first and that will help with paint selection.

And definitely paint that white ceiling to warm the room. Gorgeous room!
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Yes I'm back. I like the stone and I like the slate---just NOT together. Both have a lot of pattern and are busy and contrast in color-too much! If you prefer the stone, keep it and change the floor-if you like the floor then do something with the stone. Plain and simple. Have Fun...
  • Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks SO MUCH everyone! I like all the comments and there are here some very good ideas! At this point I'm inclining to ask for an estimate for the following: remove stone on all walls except the fireplace vertical (keep the stone between these two windows all the way to the ceiling). Remove the slate and replace with hardwood like in the adjacent space (OR cover with room size carpet - I forgot to mention we have a 6 month old baby who will be crawling/playing on this floor for at least a few years...). I'd like to upgrade the fireplace (either changing to arched opening or at least upgrade the door). I'd like to remove the mantel, I don't think it adds anything and I don't think I'd like to add more decor on this stone wall... We have one other full wall for hanging photos and such... No, we do not have furniture, so we are starting from scratch. What I know is I'd like to have at least two recliners, so we don't fight over them :) And live plants in corners, we love green! I don't think we will have a TV in this room, we never turn it on and the house has a media room with large TV for watching movies. I love all the suggestions about paint colors, we'll have to think about it all and figure out what works best with the furniture, rugs, woods, etc... Anyway, I already love this room, I know it will turn out great and I'm so happy I shared my question with you all! If you can think of any other ideas or can give an update based on what I just said, please keep sharing! THANK YOU!
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    [houzz=
    Cat Mountain, Greenbelt Homes, Austin TX · More Info
    ]
  • Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Do you think removing those round stones from the wall will keep the stones intact? I'm thinking... could I reuse them to build an outdoors kitchen counter and fireplace?... Same question for the slate floor - if I decide to remove those stones, can I save /reuse them?...
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I'd keep the stones and fireplace exactly as they are. When I look at the photos submitted by houzzers, I visualize how the walls of the rooms would look with stones all about. Answer:The walls of the rooms would look better, more unique with stones all about in those photos.

I'd certainly paint the white heating "base boards" a gray to blend. If the brass fireplace surround fits well, I'd paint that as well. In this photo the decorator painted one. I'd wait until the furniture was placed to decide on a tone. The room will soften considerable when you have furniture / rugs / lamps etc.
    Master suite · More Info
  • elenaperuzzo
    11 years ago
    I suggest you to use colours on the wall instead stone. The floor material is very nice,you could paint the walls with different range of grey.
  • PRO
    Monique Jacqueline Design
    11 years ago
    Hello!
    Not knowing what needs to be done in other areas of the home and concentrating on this one alone, here are some of my thoughts! I would continue in the hardwood floors since this room is open to the family room so you have a cohesive feel between the two rooms. Having the hardwood will also provide warmth that the tile does not, both visually and in actuality! I would remove all the stone, except the fireplace elevation. I love Dar's attached photo by Weaver Custom Homes. If the fireplace stone does it clean up, I would remove all the stone accordingly. I would use ten mentioned photo above as inspiration! Should you want more details or guidance, please feel free to contact me!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • torres2672
    11 years ago
    That stone is going to be pricy to remove and you will need to add drywall and insulation once complete. Since you are in a cold climate I would suggest furring out over the existing stone w/ a 2" strip. Add spray insulation and finish with drywall. This will save you a lot of money. I also noticed the baseboard heat. From the size of the room I suspect this will be a highly used space but may be cold in the winter. Consider investing in radiant heat. You can use hardwood flooring or tile over it. This will make for a very comfortable space. Designing the room will be the easy part after this. The ceiling can be made into a coffered style with cove lighting and recessed as well. This will add a touch of class. My guesstimate on doing the above with HWF without knowing dimensions is in the $15K-$20K. Upload pics!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Do your painting on the ceiling, paneling and baseboards right away. That will add warmth. And get a new light fixture.

But for now, since you have a baby: get a large, room size, plush, soft rug! You will spend much of your time on the floor, playing with your child. And this will buy you time to work on other areas of the house. And will absorb sound, add warmth, etc.

Then in a few years do the hardwood floor, and definitely radiant heat under the wood! I wish I had done this under our tile floor!

And since I am a very big cheapskate, I try to find the option to save myself the most money. One thought: keep the stone on the walls and reface the entire fireplace. Coating in a cement (or do I mean concrete?), would tie in with the stone look, and add a simpler more modern look.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Note the walls. These photos are from CNeithart's "French Colonial in Pasadena"
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC · More Info
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC · More Info
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Also, note the ceiling in the above! That would break up the large expanse and wood adds warmth! And, I believe it is possible to add radiant heat to a ceiling rather than a floor.
  • torres2672
    11 years ago
    As an architect I would not recommend radiant heat in a ceiling. Particularly if you have a baby crawling around on the floor. Radiant heat systems are one of the most efficient ways of heating a home. Remember that hot air rises and cold air drops
  • Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I found a photo of the adjacent room to the one I posted above. Imagine you stand in the same spot, and take one photo of the "stone room" above, then turn 180 degrees in the same spot, and take this photo. You can see how the two spaces have absolutely nothing in common and since there is no door or separating wall... I'd like to create a more "unified" feel between the two spaces... Most likely the area pictured here will host our dining table, although I'm not 100% sure... The floor in this room will most likely be replaced with the oak you see on top of the stairs in this photo. The wood on the wall is probably maple, not sure. The window trim I have no idea... So, the reason I wanted to replace the stone floor above with the same oak floor was to create a space with fewer changes...one large "room" as opposed to two smaller areas... Any suggestions? I don't know what I'm asking for sure... :)
  • Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    forgot the photos...
  • bamamom
    11 years ago
    Marie...If I am reading correctly, the beam on the ceiling is the dividing line? Does the big window on the left side of each photo get shared with each space or are the two seperate big windows? Even if each space has a big window in each area, you can still make this one big room. Paint the beam to match your ceiling, sort of visually get rid of the dividing line. Add the hard wood in the "stone" room.
    I like your idea to remove all of the stone except on the actual fireplace. Then replace the mantle with wood to match the trim of the windows. Stone the hearth and replace the fireplace door color with a dark charcoal. You can buy HIGH HEAT resistant spray paint at Lowe's or Home Depot and spray the brass. I would suggest a very light latte color for the walls and the wood wall, blending with the stones of the fireplace and the existing wood tone of the floor pictgure. Preplace your light fixture to something a little more contemporary (brushed nickel).
    PS The hearth with the baby...look for those hearth bumper kits to protect little heads from boo boos :-)
    Congrats on your new home and good luck with your decorating.
    Please post pics when your finished.
  • lisianthus
    11 years ago
    Is it faux stone or are they actually structural stone walls? If so, I wonder if you could fir them out and add drywall? Paint the walls a light shade that matches the fireplace. Paint the ceiling a shade or two lighter. Pergo would make a great floor but not sure how it would coordinate with your other room. I'd be inclined to paint the window trim & moldings white.
  • Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't think this is structural stone. But, I would need to check on that. Not sure. To answer the question about the windows, none of the windows in these photos are overlapping. This house has a lot of large windows, which is great for light, but not so great for heating/cooling, I'm a bit worried about that... And, makes it harder to place furniture, as there are very few "walls"...

Yes, the beam divides the two rooms. Someone suggested removing it but I want to keep it to hang a swing for the baby there :) and possibly a heavy curtain as a noise barrier so someone could feel cozy in the "stone room" without hearing all the noise from the rest of the house...

I don't like the fans but I am not sure which of the windows actually open... I hope some windows open because we have nice woods and lake right outside and I want to hear the birds :) Yes, there will be many bird feeders outside these windows so we will have a live show every morning watching them feed. :)
  • Maria A.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't think this is structural stone. But, I would need to check on that. Not sure. To answer the question about the windows, none of the windows in these photos are overlapping. This house has a lot of large windows, which is great for light, but not so great for heating/cooling, I'm a bit worried about that... And, makes it harder to place furniture, as there are very few "walls"...

Yes, the beam divides the two rooms. Someone suggested removing it but I want to keep it to hang a swing for the baby there :) and possibly a heavy curtain as a noise barrier so someone could feel cozy in the "stone room" without hearing all the noise from the rest of the house...

I don't like the fans but I am not sure which of the windows actually open... I hope some windows open because we have nice woods and lake right outside and I want to hear the birds :) Yes, there will be many bird feeders outside these windows so we will have a live show every morning watching them feed. :)
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Check out having window film installed. You can have it totally clear so view not impeded. This will help with heat loss and gain. And, it isn't too expensive!
  • PRO
    Dream Home Professional Contractors LLC
    9 years ago
    Beautiful room, Install a wooded mantle stained to match the wooden window trims, place a rug in front of the fireplace and one sofa on the right side facing the large bay window. Place two chairs facing the sofa, combine this with end tables and a matching coffee table. The rug will cover up the stone floor (if your intention is to not change the flooring), add light window treatment
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Old post
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Why is a post that is 3 years old. Still showing up???