Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverly14_gw

2nd dishwasher (drawer)

beverly14
14 years ago

We are designing our kitchen and have space for a dishwasher and an additional dish drawer. Any brand recommendations for both?

Comments (9)

• clean_freak
    14 years ago

All dish drawers are made by Fisher Paykel regardless of whose name is on the outside. You can get the same drawers sold under the names Fisher Paykel, KitchenAid, DCS, or Kenmore. The difference seems to be primarily the packaging (handles etc.) I think KA may have a disposal in addition. But they aren't radically different.

They now sell single "tall" drawer which I wish they had when I got mine. If you have the room, it seems like that may offer a lot of flexibility in addition to a regular DW. I haven't seen the tall drawers sold under other brand names.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fisher Paykel dish drawer page

• dadoes
    14 years ago

clean_freak said: All dish drawers are made by Fisher Paykel regardless of whose name is on the outside. You can get the same drawers sold under the names Fisher Paykel, KitchenAid, DCS, or Kenmore. The difference seems to be primarily the packaging (handles etc.) I think KA may have a disposal in addition. But they aren't radically different.That's not correct. Kenmore drawer units were never sourced from F&P, they're a different mechanical design developed by Maytag (which Whirlpool obtained with the purchase of said company). KitchenAid drawers changed to the Maytag design on their 2nd-generation model release, and they're also now available under the Maytag branding.

Only F&P has the new "tall" units.

• appliancedude
    14 years ago

dadoes is correct. The F & P design has been problematic from a performance standpoint since day 1.

The Kenmore/WHP design is better. It cleans and loads better.

That said, the loading is different and not as tall so some customers are not adjusting to it well.

• clean_freak
    14 years ago

Well, I stand corrected. But I've never had any issues with my FP drawers and have had them for over 5 years. Don't have the Kenmore or Maytag so I can't speak to their design or quality. But I've been pleased with the cleaning and performance of the FP. I'd be curious to hear how people rate the two models who have had both. I liked the new tall drawer concept so I was leaning that way myself...

• dadoes
    14 years ago

appliancedude said:Â dadoes is correct. The F & P design has been problematic from a performance standpoint since day 1.You are inferring that my post of May 6, 09 at 2:51 is saying that the F&P drawer design is not good.

I never said that. In a little more than 3 months, my F&P DD603 will be 6 years old. I've not yet had any repairs or trouble with it.

I have run across complaints about the Kenmore drawers (and yes, the F&P units as well). Dishwashers tend to be somewhat "personal" appliances, operated under a very wide range of conditions (people who prerinse, people who don't; hard water conditions and soft water conditions; gel/liquid detergents vs. powdered detergents; people who use rinse aid and those who refuse; etc.). There'll always be both complaints and raves about every brand and model on the market.

• drtom77
    14 years ago

If at all possible space-wise, I recommend 2 full-size dishwashers. Solves all kinds of logistic problems which you won't realize you had until you have the solution.

• appliancedude
    14 years ago

"You are inferring that my post of May 6, 09 at 2:51 is saying that the F&P drawer design is not good.

I never said that. In a little more than 3 months, my F&P DD603 will be 6 years old. I've not yet had any repairs or trouble with it".

Good point. I only meant to respond to your F & P vs WHP mfg. comment, I added the historical problems aspect. Glad yours has worked well.

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

We considered getting a full-size dishwasher plus drawers. In the end, I decided it would be easier on our family to learn one set of instructions & loading, so we installed two full-size Miele Excellas. Great decision! Our Mieles can be run with sensor wash for partial loads, & we can really load them up when entertaining or doing big cooking sessions. We alternate them to equalize use & so the door seals don't dry out.

• newly_suburban
    14 years ago

Have you thought about doing one 24" and one 18" dishwasher. I was going to do one drawer, but based on feedback about the lower drawers working better than the upper, decided to do a smaller regular dishwasher instead. I think the 18 will be good for daily use and then we'll use both for entertaining...