Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_s_gw

Miele dishwasher leaking rinse aid

sharon_s
16 years ago

So, I've been trying to figure out why my Inspira is always running out of rinse aid. This weekend, I happened to notice some green goop seeping out from under the wooden toe kick under my dishwasher. Removed the toe kick to discover lots of rinse aid piling up there. Yuck.

So, I've cleaned it up and put paper towels under the dishwasher, to see if I can tell what is going on. It leaks some while the door is open a bit, but the most rinse aid leaks out while the dishwasher is running.

I'll be calling Miele in the morning, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone here had any thoughts on what could be going on. The dishwasher was installed in November.

Thanks

Sharon S.

Comments (30)

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

No experience with this, but I think the rinse aid dispenser unit is contained within the door and it might be that it is all part of the detergent dispenser unit. So it might be some type of tube that is messed up or it might be something going on with the reservoir.

Your DW is still under warranty so perhaps they can replace the entire dispenser unit.

Please let us know.

• User
    16 years ago

Call Miele ASAP and they'll send out a tech to remedy or replace. Is it possible that it was overfilled???

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I called Miele this morning. The triage guy was very nice and guessed at the problem before I finished my sentence. I'll be getting a call from the service scheduler some time this morning.

The guy I spoke with said it was more than likely a crack or something in the combi unit, which they can replace.

Antss, I'm definitely not overfilling. In an attempt to figure out where the leak was coming from, I taped a paper towel under the rinse aid dispenser and put some on the floor, under the door (toe-kick area) and let the dishwasher sit. I had some drips on the floor, but none on the paper towel in the dishwasher. So, then I removed the papertowel from the dishwasher and started a load. All the rinse aid emptied down the door (backside of the wooden panel) onto the floor.

At least the dishwasher itself isn't leaking!

Sharon

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Glad to hear they reponded. Combi-unit - now I remember that term. It is the combination detergent and rinseaid dispener, so you will most likely be getting an entire new dispenser system.

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that is what the triage guy said. I still haven't heard from the service scheduler. If they don't call today, I'll call again tomorrow. I really would like to get this taken care of. I wish I had caught it sooner, the rinse aid wasn't good for the wood floor--could have been worse, though. The toe kick hides most of it.

• User
    16 years ago

sharon- it usually isn't the obvious/simple when it comes to miele's stuff, but it never hurts to ask.

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Antss,

I understand. I help a lot of our friends and neighbors with their computers. I've learned to start with the basic questions .

Service called this afternoon and is sending someone on Thursday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sigh. The saga continues. A Miele service rep came out on Friday and replaced the combi unit. Was a very easy replacement--just had to take the door panel off and pop out the unit.

Good news is that I no longer have rinse aid running down the door onto my floor. Bad news is that the new detergent dispenser won't dispense. The door stays shut, keeping my detergent snug and dry. Nice for the detergent, but not so good for my dishes. :-(

I've tried 4 different loads, making sure the trays are pushed back and nothing could be sticking out, blocking the dispenser.

Sigh. I put in another call to Miele...

• flyingkite
    16 years ago

Ha, service guy definitely forgot to check the release lever.

I'm not sure about Miele, but it was pain in the ... to align lever properly in my old Whirlpool DW. Not an excise in your case, of course.

• flyingkite
    16 years ago

Sorry for the typo, should be "excuse in your case".

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! I do that all the time. I knew where you were going, though! ;-)

I'm just tired of waiting around for service people. I really don't want to do my dishes by hand. I'm thinking of tripping the dispenser myself--anyone have any idea of how far into the "normal" cycle the dispenser dispenses?

Sharon

• flyingkite
    16 years ago

Roughly, 10-15 minutes and I would recommend tabs.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Detergent release time depends on the cycle you are using.

If you are using the NORMAL cycle with two pre rinses then you will get the first pre-rinse...about 6. minutes in total. The second pre-rinse about 10 minutes in total, and then the main wash. The detergent is released about 3 minutes after the main wash starts.

If you are using heavy soil, Sensor, Sani and many others you will get one pre-rinse about 13 minutes in total. Then the wash will start and the detergent is released 3 minutes after it starts.

If you are using energy saver programs the detergent is released 1 minute after the wash starts.

This is how the detergent gets released on my model so I am guessing it would be the same on all.

Easiest thing I guess is to wait until the main wash starts and then throw the stuff inside.

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm using the "normal" cycle. My manual says it has 2 pre-rinses. Yeah, I'm just going to hang by and throw the tabs in. It's acting very strange--when the load is finished, there is a tremendous amount of condensation on the walls of the dishwasher and all the items in the dishwasher--even if I run the cycle at night and open it in the morning. It didn't do that before.

In addition to replacing the dispenser, the service guy raised the wash temperature. I wonder if he could have inadvertently changed something else in the process. Or maybe that's what happens when you don't use soap?

Oh well. Hopefully they will call soon.

• aamassther
    16 years ago

I'll bet the rinse aid isn't dispensing either. Resulting in excess condensation in your DW. Good Luck, I hope your problem is resolved soon.

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The service rep just left. Turns out that when the rinse aid was leaking, it leaked into the connector that powers the detergent dispenser controller, which ate away all the metal prongs in the connector. Sooo, they have to order a new connector.

The service rep said not to bother waiting for the pre-rinses to finish. He said just toss the tablet in when I start the dishwasher. That makes things easier.

Doesn't really make me feel good about the rinse aid, I have to say!

• flyingkite
    16 years ago

I'm just wandering what kind of chemicals they use in the rinse aid formula? Rinse aid liquid seems to be very aggressive and I would even say too dangerous for use in dishwashers. Just think, if for whatever reason your DW doesn't rinse well, what happens to your stomach?

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

The service rep said what? I personally would not do it, but if you are using Electrasol tabs it probably won't hurt because they do not dissolve in cool water. I would just rather it be in the main wash..after all that's what the dishwasher maker thinks should happen.

Rinse Aid. If you go to P&G.com and then navigate to the MSDS sheets they will sort of tell you what is in their brand of rinse aid. Doesn't sound too bad but...

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, the service rep said to just throw it in. If I have the time to babysit it, I may do that and open the washer after every pre-rinse, just to see what happens with the tab.

I'm not happy about the rinse aid. I never used it in my Novotronic and it dried beautifully. Not too pleased that I have to use it now. Makes me wish I had brought my old dishwasher with me. It was only a year old when we moved.

The rep taped the connector, so there wouldn't be any chance of sparking. Gulp! With the thread about the GE dishwashers being recalled because rinse aid could get into the wiring and short it out, I'm a bit nervous!

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

What Novotronic did you have? My previous model was a Novotronic that I bought in 1996. I always used rinse Aid even when I had kitchenaids,and whirlpools so I don't know how my older Novotronic would have dried without RinseAid. Funny I never tried it.

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My mistake. I had a Touchtronic, not a Novotronic. Not sure where my mind went on that. I had one of the 800 series. I miss it.

Well, the saga continues. The little connector came in and the repairman came last week to put it on my dishwasher. I wasn't home when he fixed it (I was out of town), so I don't know if he actually tested it, but I discovered that the detergent door STILL isn't opening. SO, I put in another call to Miele. They were very nice to make sure someone came out the next day.

This time they sent a senior tech to diagnose (honestly, I think they thought I was nuts). He came today, spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally discovered that when the rinse aid leaked into the wire, in addition to eating the wire, it shorted out one part of the computer. But of course that part wasn't on the truck.

Soooo, here's hoping that when the computer gets replaced, it will all work again.

• rolls_rapide
    16 years ago

Rinse aid is composed of water, citric acid, alcohol and preservatives, with possibly metal corrosion inhibitors.

The function of rinse aid is not only to cause the rinse water to sheet off the dishes, but also to neutralise any remaining alkaline detergent. This may be important, as modern dishwashers (depending on the programme) may only perform two rinses, before drying.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

I you go to PG.com and move to the MSDS sheets you can find a description of the contents of the products. Doesn't seem like there is too much danger in rinse aid.

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Would you believe the saga continues. The senior tech just replaced the computer and the dispensers still aren't working right. Miele won't let him replace the dishwasher yet. They want to try replacing the computer again, so now I have to call them and complain.

I've reached the end of my patience. I'm on my 5th visit, I've got a brand new dishwasher with spliced wires, rinse aid that leaked who knows where in the door, a damaged floor and toe kick (from when the rinse aid was leaking). I don't trust this dishwasher anymore. I'm just beyond annoyed at this point. :-(

• User
    16 years ago

Call Miele in NJ, ask rep to escalate the call up the chain. Can you authorize a a replaement DW is the ??? to ask. Put your boss on the phone if you cannot.

BTW - where is your dealer in all of this? Also, I'm not sure if the not happy $$$ back offer is still in effect, but you could see.

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Antss,

Thanks for the support. You know, it didn't occur to me to involve the dealer. I live in NJ, so I figured it was best to go directly to Miele. But I will call the dealer if I get nowhere this time. I think if I could actually speak to a supervisor and get them to see the big picture, they would replace the dishwasher (which has now been discontinued, oh joy). I think that they are looking at it as a detergent dispenser not working properly, and not a rinse-aid soaked dishwasher with spliced wiring.

A scheduler called this morning to tell me that the new computer has been delayed, and I took the opportunity to spell things out, again. I also pointed out that GE just recalled 2.5 million dishwashers because rinse aid could leak into the wiring, and my dishwasher DID leak into the wiring, and here it still sits. She said she's escalating it to her supervisor as well. We'll see.

Thanks!

Sharon

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Sharon

I agree with Ants speak to the dealer as well. They should have connections to the local sales rep who could also get involved.

I would also go to the Miele web site and post an email complaint about this.

What model do you have that is now discontinued? This should not matter because they should replace it with a comparable model.

Did you get the extended warranty. It states that Miele may replace the machine if X(don't remember the amount I thought it was 3) number of calls are made to fix the same thing.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Never mind I see it is the Inspira.

• sharon_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YEA! I got a call from a supervisor today and he's putting in an order to replace my dishwasher! He said I had put up with enough. Yippee! My faith is restored in Miele.

Jerrod, no, I didn't have the extended warranty, but the machine was only 6 months old when I first called about the problem, so it was still under warranty. The rinse aid must have been leaking for months before that. They are scratching their heads because they've never seen this happen before (rinse aid leaking). Lucky me. But, I'm happy now to have this over with. Can't wait to get this dishwasher out of my kitchen!

Thanks again for the advice, guys!

Sharon

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

I'm so glad for you! I hope you will soon have a DW that will work perfectly!