Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iliya1

Miele DW question

iliya1
14 years ago

Hi.

I installed our new Miele Optima fully integrated DW. However, I can't decide exactly how far back from the counter top to locate it. Where should the front of the DW door be in relation to the cabinet? Should it be flush with the cabinet face-frame, or flush with the doors/drawer fronts? Where is YOURS located? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• User
    14 years ago

designed to be flush with doors

• iliya1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. That's where I put it, but it doesn't look quite right for some reason.

• kcboom
    14 years ago

I installed mine last week and it sticks out a little bit I mounted it to the face frames not sure what I am going to do to fix it.
    {{gwi:1444966}}

{{gwi:1444967}}

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Slideshow

• User
    14 years ago

KC you install is not really correct. It'll work , but you are missing out on 25% of the benefit of a Miele DW.

It's really difficult to tell what is going on from your pics , but I'll guess that you need some finished material (brown) to sit behind your frames to attach the DW to. This is typically the shortcomming of Miele installs in faceframe cabinetry.

• kcboom
    14 years ago

Thank you for the tip antss. I went back and made it flush with the cabinet doors had to do a little fabrication but no big deal. it looks a lot better, the dishwasher is square to the bottom of the doors and flush w/ them as well.

• iliya1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it *looks* like the mounting screws are supposed to go into the sides of the face frame, but this obviously doesn't work. You have to add material that is the right thickness to the inside of the DW opening on both sides and screw the DW to that. Then you can mount it as far back as you like.

Ours just BARELY fit under the counter! With the DW adjusted all the way down, I still had to file some small clearance notches in the wood piece that goes under the granite in order to get the thing to fit under there. This was caused by a mis-communication between all parties involved: us, the tile guys, and the cabinet builders. I wanted the tile installed on top of a concrete float, not hardi-backer. The floor ended up being 1-1/2 inches thick, total. I think the cabinet builders were thinking it was going to be 1 inch thick, and the tile guys (two Russians) kept telling us it was going to be 3/4"! In the end it worked out for the best: we got a Miele DW instead of the Bosch we were going to use (the Bosch units are too tall) and our counter tops are lower than they would have been (my wife likes that).

• User
    14 years ago

Just another reason to ALWAYS INSTALL CABINETS AFTER the flooring is in. You're lucky you have a Miele, many other models are not short enough to fit in that space now.

• iliya1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

[ALWAYS INSTALL CABINETS AFTER the flooring is in] Hmmm... That's a "which is better, Ford or Chevy" topic for sure. What was really needed were tile installers that knew how to convert millimeters to inches! Other than that, they did do a fantastic job on the tile work.

• kcboom
    14 years ago

I am going to have to agree with antss here too. I had to face nail to many boards and have to glue some boards since I can not nail under the toe kick. Also if you elevate your cabinets for the floor for some reason 3/4" isn't always the same. I was still waiting for the floors and the cabinet guy was pressing for a paycheck which doesn't come easy these days in his line of work.

{{gwi:1444968}}

• iliya1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, you *do* sorta have to add the thickness of what you think the floor is going to end up being to your toe-kick! It's usually not that hard, especially if everybody speaks English! Anyway, as I said, in my case everything ended up for the better. In your case, I'm not sure what happened, unless of course there is some kind of optical illusion making the photograph look like THERE IS NO TO KICK AT ALL! What the heck happened there?

• User
    14 years ago

You've got it installed correctly now by the looks of it.