Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlspellman_gw

What are my Fully Integrated Fridge Options?

dlspellman
16 years ago

Need everyones help on this one.....

I am looking for a counter depth, fully integrated refrigerator and freezer. I am wanting to have them built into what looks like an armoir. Could be columns and or drawers behind, etc. But with a balanced center point. Ideally the width would be 48", but I do have flexibility to go larger.

I was leaning towards two 30" columns from Thermador or Bosch, but am afraid that may be a bit too big in scale for my 8' ceiling and kitchen.

I have considered two 27" SubZeros in the 700 series - but that's a ton of $$. I was willing to go the $6,000 for Thermador columns, but SZ would be close to $10,000 which seems ridiculous! Heck even $6,000 seems nuts, but I don't want to have any other refrig/freezers in the garage, bsmt, etc. for our family of four.

I have thought about two 24" columns, but now I'm getting close to the size of my refrigerator size in the 36" SxS that I hate b/c of the narrow refrigerator side. Freezer would be okay at 24".

Does anyone make a 42"or 48" fully integrated French Door?

Ideally the armoir would be 48" in width.... any ideas out there from you creative problem solvers? I'm at wits end trying to solve this one.

It seems I've also heard of a refrig. that allows you to change one part of a refrig/freezer from freezer to fridge or something. Did I dream that one up?

Finally, I'm also open to mixing in some under counter drawers if necessary - but preferred not to. My ideal storage space would be around 20 for the fridge and 12-15 for the freezer. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• weissman
    16 years ago

I can't help you with most of your questions, but with regard to "change one part of a refrig/freezer to fridge" you may be referring to the Maytag wide-by-size. It doesn't do what you want. When I looked at it 5 years ago, it was a standard depth side-by-side-like refrigerator where the boundary zigzagged so that the top of the refrigerator was wider than the bottom and conversely, the top of the freezer was narrower than the bottom. The problem for me was that the widest part of the freezer was the same as the normal side-by-side - I wanted a wider freezer part, not a wider fridge part. Also, it didn't get great reviews for it's cooling ability.

With regard to built-in integrated fridges, two brands that you haven't mentioned are KA and GE Monogram - they get good reviews on this forum and are cheaper than Sub-Zero - you might take a look at those. Good luck.

• Fori
    16 years ago

I think Liebherr also has some fully-integrated models.

I have a feeling that trying to get the thing symmetrical like a real armoire might give you some trouble unless you get a bigger freezer than you really want. But actually, some armoires aren't symmetrical--some have hanging stuff behind one door and drawers behind a different-sized door...

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Samsung makes a 4 door where I believe 2 of the compartments can be switched between freezer or fridge use. It is not counter depth or capable of being fully -- or even partially integrated unless your cabinets are extra deep stainless made to to match the fridge.

There is also a freezerator I've seen at Sears -- not sure who makes it, but it iz a freezer where the top mounted section can be used a fridge when desired -- kind ofa way to have a garage or utility freezer that gives you extra fridge space for an occassional party. I don't think it's really set up for heavier fridge use -- and neither really sound like what you are looking for.

I have the Thermador 30' fridge and 18" freezer. I didn't do panels because we had ordered the cabinets and trying to get the look right would have meant a number of changes. Doesn't sound like you will have a cabinet above, so I would think you could balance the wall without having to match the 2 sides -- or use the columns and split them up.

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

Lascatx-

I presume you bought the Thermador Freedom line in stainless steel. They certainly are beautiful and I was thinking of buying the same 30" refrigerator and the 18" freezer. Is it fairly quiet and does the internal ice machine work well? If I get them I will be buying the kit that keeps them together. Are you happy with their performance?

Thanks---Greg

• jetguy
    16 years ago

Have you considered the SZ736? I know you've had a bad feeling about a 36 inch because of the narrowness in a SxS, but the 736 is a full-width fridge on top with 2 full-width freezer drawers on the bottom. It's also dimensionally almost perfect for an armoire look.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Greg, yes -- I have the columns in stainless and they are beautiful. I never really liked the grill over the top of most built-ins and this use of space makes so much more sense to mer -- as well as looks better. Mine are installed side by side with the kit. They are very quiet and the ice maker has worked well. I questioned it once when my son was taking a cooler of ice water to band camp each day and we were using ice at home, but I think the drawer got put back without getting pushed back all the way. It wasn't the best time to discover that, but we never ran out and those were the hottest days of our summer.

I really like the way it looks, but I enjoy how well the space is used inside. I love the full extension drawers. The location and size of the drawers and compartments has worked well. It's just easy to use -- both the fridge and the freezer.

I did look at the SZ 736. I like the look of it, but for the life of me, I don't know why SZ thinks people want to reach dow to the floor for ice. Doesn't seem practical here in TX and it wouldn't be good for me -- I have neck problems. Our KD wanted us to see one on display. We waited to see it and decided against it in a matter of a few seconds. And it was design --not even getting to reliability or lack of.

• jetguy
    16 years ago

lascatx, we thought the same thing about the ice in the bottom drawer - how stupid, especially when there is an upper drawer. Go figure. We still bought the thing precisely for the reasons you mentioned in the OP - aesthetics, and nothing but. Trust me, if I could have gotten an Amana or any other cheap fridge that looks as good installed as the SZ I would have done it in a flash.

• User
    16 years ago

2 choices- SZ 700 series, or the new Thermador Freedom series. The Liebherr has a difficult or impossible time concealing the toekick area, so I don't consider it "fully" integrated.

No on the FD at 42-48".

If you want a blanaced center point and 48" you're just going to have to live with a narrow ref. Nothing creative will help you in this department. If you can live unbalanced or go to 60" you'd have some options with the Thermadors. You'll be getting close to you $10k pain threshold though. Just to put things in perspective though-- many might think it's nuts to build in a fridge, let alone make it look like an armoir. Since this is really at the top of the design heap, you should expect to pay for it.

• dlspellman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your feedback, it confirms most of what I have been finding. I was just hoping I had missed something. I am prepared to pay for it, if it accomplishes what I want. I'm just making sure I know I have considered all options.

I'm afraid to go to 36" wide because of the space between the fridge and island. With door open it's just too tight.

Is anyone familiar with the Kitchenaid 42" French Door refrigerator. How integrated does/can that look? I could do that plus one set of SZ drawers and get to the capacity I want and for about the same cost as two TH columns or SZ's. And a 42" size looks about right for the space.

Thanks again for all your help! I've been lurking for years and appreciate the feedback and info from all you regulars!

• linley1
    16 years ago

Liebherr has a 48" fully integrated (really 2 24" put together). When I priced it out it was less than the SZ 27" 700. Also Kitchenaid makes a 42" french door built in.

{{gwi:1462857}}

Here is a link that might be useful: liebherr 48

• dlspellman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I keep looking at the Liebherr, but then I look at its capacity and it just doesn't seem to have much. The 48" (2-24")only have a total capacity of of 14.2 cubic feet in the frigs. and 4.3 in the freezers. That's less than the 36" SxS that I have and hate (it has 14.4 & 8.2)! And less than the 42" KA FD which has 16.7 and 5.9 in less space.

So for a large 48" space, I just feel its not very much storage space, am I missing something?

• User
    16 years ago

Dl - that KA model is not going to give you what you want if you are coveting the armoir look that Sub Zero's 700 series acchieves or thge fully integratred look of the T'dor either. That is an overlay model. You will still see the mounting flanges and some of the casing. The door swing will be compromised also unless you make the panels narrower on the adjacent cabinetry or increase the gaps. Both of whivh defeate the purpose of fully integrating.