Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
segbrown_gw

Mixing regular dishwasher and one or two DW drawers

segbrown
15 years ago

Has anyone used both a conventional dishwasher and a DW drawer or two? I like the idea of the ability to run a small load in addition to a regular load -- I guess my ideal would be two sets of DDs on either side of the sink ... but $3K worth of dishwasher seems a little ridiculous.

Am I missing something obvious?

I would put custom panels on the drawer(s), of course, and if it were a single drawer, match a regular drawer below it.

Comments (10)

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

The folks I know who use more that one washer got a cheap one for the 2nd unit. They only use it when hosting parties and such, so it's good enough to do party dishes, pots and pans and such.

If your goal is to simply be able to wash a small load once in a while, look for models that let you just wash the top drawer (bosch).

• eeagle
    15 years ago

For small loads most new dishwashers will allow top basket only washes which in my mind is the best of both worlds. The drawer models seems to be an inefficient use of space IMHO.

• jakkom
    15 years ago

You might want to think about mixing a regular 24" DW and one of the 18" DW instead. A DD is good if you usually have small loads, though!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I considered the same thing but went with 2 regular 24" DWs. We use both and try to run one then the other. We usually run at least on of them everyday and often both. Using them both helps keep dirty dishes from piling up on the counter or in the sink.

I wouldn't get a second unit unless you plan to use it regularly. Not running a DW for a length of time can dry the seals and lead to cracks or other leaks. We bought a house that had been vacant for a while and had to replace the seal on the DW as well as some other plumbing parts.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We would definitely use both regularly ... at least for the next six or seven years while kids are at home (kids and all their friends, who also generate dirty dishes). I guess I'm also thinking ahead to that point, when we'll want to run small loads when it's just the two of us.

Maybe a stack of two DDs on one side of the sink, and a single on the other with a drawer below it ... though I'm sure I'll change my mind a dozen more times.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

We went through the same process -- we will have kids at home for another 6 years or more and the extended family gathers here. We are using them both regularly, and I have been glad we got the two full size DW's so we can easily wash mixing bowls and larger items when I want to. It seems to maximize the benefit of having two DWs and I now think I'd be frustrated if I had more limitations on one side.

We figure that if we get at least 8 years (had them nearly 2) out of a DW and then decide our lifestyle no longer justifies 2, we have a 24" space ready for some DW drawers, more cabinet drawers, an open cabinet if we put a floor in, a beverage fridge, fridge drawers right next to the sink for veggies, an ice maker and a narrow cutting board cabinet -- lots of options with little change to the space. In the meantime, we have a DW that is quiet, cleans well and cost less than the drawers.

I understand the thought process you ar going through. I'm sure either option will be good, but I have no regrets with our choice. And as much as I talk about not worrying about symmetry on this forum, I do like the fact that the two DWs balance on either side of the sink. Of course, the drawers on either side of the DWs are different. ;-)

• alku05
    15 years ago

Segbrown, please get a quote for the cabinet that would go under a single DD. We were originally going to get a single DD on either side of our sink, but the cabinets to go under them were so expensive, that it was the same price to put in two double DD's. So that's what we did. If we weren't interested in easy unloading as the years go by (DH had back surgery at age 37 and has been told he will need more down the line), we would have done one regular DW and one set of double DDs.

• segbrown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, I wondered about that. (Cost of drawers, that is ...) Thanks for the info!

I really hate bending over, and I'm soon to be the shortest person in my family (at 5'9"), so all my choices are revolving around not bending over. ;-) I'm not TKO, I'm THO (H for height).

If I can swing it, I think I'll use two sets of DDs, and use the bottom ones for overflow, and the two higher ones for every day.

If I can't swing it, I guess I won't.

• clean_freak
    15 years ago

Segbrown - do you have the drawers today? I didn't see if you mentioned that in your original post.

I have the dish drawers (have had them for 3 years) and love them but wouldn't do two sets even if I could afford to. I find them convenient for smaller loads but platters, larger plates and pots often don't fit or if they do manage to squeeze in, you can't fit anything else in the drawer! I usually hand-wash these things but it would be nice to have the option of using the dishwasher. I do find that stemware does very well in the dish drawers however. The other drawback worth mentioning is noise. I find them much louder than my old Bosch. The last thing that I find slightly annoying (given the high cost) is that the interior of the drawers is made of gray plastic and they can stain. But despite all this I do really like the drawers. Really!

Ideally I would go w/ one set of drawers and one regular, less expensive dishwasher - you can get a stainless Bosch for somewhere in the $700-$800 range or less and they are great dishwashers. That offers the most flexibility of configuration and in terms of what you can wash. I think it's the best of both worlds for everyday use and entertaining.

Good luck with your decision.

• alku05
    15 years ago

As I mentioned before, if it weren't for the bending over problem, we would have done one regular and one double DD for maximum versatility. All of our plates fit in the drawers. We keep one drawer configured for pots (racks removed) and even our largest stock pots fits in there fine. Without the racks, several pots fit in one drawer and we can run a heavy cycle.