Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eij106

Builder vs. General Contractor

eij106
9 years ago

Hello!
New to this forum- so I apologize if this has been posted numerous times before.

We're also first time builders- looking to build in the next couple years. So starting this process early. We purchased land last fall and want to build our 'forever' home on it.

Anyone have advice, experience, opinions, etc. on using a builder versus a general contractor?

What kind of money did you/can you save?

Is it 'harder' to use a GC?

Do you tend to go over budget with one or the other more often?

We have a toddler and one on the way- so we are fairly busy and husband travels for work, too. (if that makes a difference in experience).

Any and all help is very appreciated!!!!

Comments (3)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In my area, a builder and GC are the same thing. They are paid to coordinate the overall build, and all the sub contractors. I think what you are asking is whether to do a self build.

We are doing a self build, or, we are owner-builders. We have hired my brother-in-law, who is an experienced GC, having built a few homes in the past, and almost 20 years experience in the construction industry. He's more of a foreman, or a consultant, though. If he was officially the GC, then all the trades would contract to him. He would have to pay them, and then submit a bill to us, with his own markup. He didn't want to put him in the position of having to pay out of his own pocket and being reimbursed. So the trades are contracting to us directly, and BIL is around for oversight and advice. We are also using his contacts, and his name, to let the trades know we aren't dumbass rich people ripe for being taken advantage of. (We're neither rich, nor stupid.) But he's not the GC, because he's not signing any checks. If I call up a foundation company and mention that he's my GC, they no longer want to talk to me, they want to talk to him.

It's possible other areas have different terms, and maybe you would call BIL a GC.

It's definitely harder to do it this way. I don't have another job right now, and this build is quickly becoming a full time job. I spend my week days calling dozens of trades. I have to call at least 10 companies to get 3 bids for every piece. Excavating, surveying, foundation, framing, siding, roofing, windows, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, gas hookup, drywall, ... Last week, I visited every tile wholesaler showroom in the city, at least twice, looking for the tile for my bathrooms. I visited 2 window places. This week, I need to harass framers again (I don't have a single quote for framing, and they all want at least 2 months notice), I will hopefully be onsite when they dig a hole, I need to call bathroom fixtures people, track down a front door supplier, finalize the window order, and get the cribbers lined up to hopefully start next week. And that's assuming nothing comes up that throws a wrench in the plans. I spend my evenings online, preparing for the calls I need to make the next day, and discussing the build with DH.

If we'd hired a builder, I'd probably just be shopping for bathroom fixtures, and being pissed at the builder for not having a hole yet.

It's hard to say which way would be better for staying on budget. If we'd hired a builder, and we weren't really specific on everything from day 1, then there would probably be budget overruns from things I add later. And additions generally cost more when a builder is adding on his markup, or has to return things he already bought. But, having all the costs in front of me, and writing checks weekly, I'm a lot more careful to choose less expensive fixtures, and not add things that are going to affect what's already been purchased. On the other hand, a builder knows a lot better what it costs to dig a hole, or build a 2 story wall, so the budget would probably have been better set to begin with.

• eij106
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks amberm!! That is very very helpful and honestly sounds like a lot lore work than we want to do/could do!!

I think you're right- I am sure the cg and builder would be the same in our area too. We don't have any family licensed CG's so we would have to hire someone who would need to be paid same as a builder.
    Also, I don't think our lender would give us a loan without a licensed CG anyways.

I really appreciate your feedback!

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

Yes, there are general contractors and sub-contractors (or specialty contractors), who "build" a house. A general contractor is responsible to the owner for the overall construction, using the necessary sub-contractors or specialty contractors (whose work is usually limited to a single trade, i.e., framing, mansory, electrical, etc.).

Some general contractors may also do some work themselves or with their own workers.

Here in this forum the terms "builder" and "contractor" are often used synonymously.

"Owner-builder" or "self-builder" is frequently used to describe owners who do some or all of the work on their own house.

An experienced and responsive general contractor can make one's life a lot easier and more enjoyable!

Good luck with your project.

This post was edited by virgilcarter on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 20:16