Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Need Some Advice on that Viking Stove we Sold Please!

hobokenkitchen
14 years ago

I got a call from the guy who bought the kitchen from us. He says he is having trouble with the burners on the Viking stove clicking and only two come on.

Before he hires a Viking rep to come out I was wondering if anyone could give him/ us some advice on what to do.

They all worked fine as of the day before it was taken out, and I know that I have seen threads which talk about the burners clicking unless they are sitting just right.

It did not click previously.

I took a pic with all burners on about a week before it was uninstalled.

So does anyone have any suggestions for him on what to try?

He's still very delighted with his 'deal' and is happy to have a tech come out, but I am upset that he is having a problem, and if we can help save him a call out fee that would be great!

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• weissman
    14 years ago

Those look like sealed burners - is that correct? If so, the burner ring needs to be aligned properly - usually there a notch of some kind - that usually doesn't cause clicking just the flames to shoot up higher on one side. Also, the ignitors need to be clean and dry. Sometimes after a spillover, the ignitors will click until the burners dry out - the excess liquid causes the flames to keep going out and then the ignitors click - usually lasts only a minute or so. To clean the ignitors, a little rubbing alcohol on a Qtip and then be very gentle.

• weissman
    14 years ago

If he turns on only the burners that work, does he still get the clicking or is that only with the ones that don't come on? If it's only the ones that don't come on, it may well be that the burner ring isn't aligned properly, the burner doesn't light and the ignitor keeps clicking. Can he light those burners manually with a match - if so it may be that the ignitor is dirty or not working properly.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm going to send him a link to this thread, and maybe he can try some of these ideas. Thanks so much folks - I figured you would have some great advice! : )

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

weissman, I'm sorry I don't know if they are sealed burners or not. How could he tell (as I don't have access to the range anymore)?

• weissman
    14 years ago

The bottom of the sealed burners are flush with the cooktop - there's no place underneath them for any crud or liquid to fall. Open burners have space around the burner where crud and liquid can fall into - there's usually then a drip tray or some other way to get in there and clean the stuff up. The only real issue is that sealed burners definitely need to have the burner ring properly seated - I'm not familiar with how the Viking open burners work to know if that could be an issue or not.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

Another quick thing to check is the polarity of the plug that the range is plugged into. This is a common problem with the electrical outlets.

Good luck!