Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spf5209

HVAC noise problem

spf5209
12 years ago

Another rant on what seems to be commonplace stupidity/sloppiness/could not care less attitude of some of the subs. When we tested the new HVAC (with geothermal heat pump), it was very noisy with no start-up check list filled out. Turns out they did not install the noise-dampening pad or attach the correct flexible duct pieces to keep vibrations from transferring. I guess I am just old school, but can't begin to comprehend the mind that walked away from that job thinking it was done correctly. If I turned in my projects in that condition, my boss would rightly wonder what kind of employee he had.

Now that they have fixed that, the noise from the air flow through the ducts/registers is still loud. Builder says that is normal in an empty house and will dissipate once the furniture/rugs, etc. are in. Anyone have experience on this they can share? Was it loud in the empty house and okay with furniture? Can you hear the air rushing through the vents when your HVAC kicks on? Thanks.

Comments (13)

• User
    12 years ago

Do you have a two speed system? You'll normally use the low speed in summer for better dehumidification and the higher speed in winter for more rapid heating. Yes, soft furnishings will diminish the air noise somewhat. Are you listening close to a return duct? Often times, a too small return duct can be quite loud. I'm assuming that the Manual J that was performed on you home spec'd the size and number of ducts for optimum performance, but additional sound insulation beyond simple insulated ductwork is not part of a standard install. Do check the figures to see if they installed what was calculated.

• spf5209
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Hollysprings. No, this is not close to a return duct, but coming from the floor registers into the room. They did perform a Man J to size the system and I have asked for those numbers. What is your definition of "simple insulated ductwork"? There is no insulation on the outside of the galvanized ducts; should there be? The installation manual does mention insulating the first five feet and installing vanes and 90 degree bends. Thanks for your input and advice.

• david_cary
    12 years ago

You should not hear load rushing noises from the vents even in an empty house. The man J won't really help, the Manual D dictates duct sizes. If the noise is too much, then the air flow is too much for the duct and registers. Duct work costs money and it isn't so much a shoddy install just a cost effective (or cheap) one.

So ask for a manual D - that is what you really want. And just try to get more ductwork installed - but you might have to pay for it. Also, the registers can be changed out for quieter ones. We have wood ones on our floor that are very quiet and we had replaced 2 on our ceiling that don't adjust but are quieter.

I just stayed in a 1986 house with the noisiest airflow - it was really unbelievable. So don't think this is a new problem.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Just about everything sounds louder in an empty house.

Forced hot air systems are almost never perfectly quiet, but the sound should still be very minimal.

• spf5209
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response. We are meeting with the builder and HVAC sub tomorrow and hopefully it will get resolved (without costing us more money, lol!).

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

The problem is how many HVAC systems have you listened for in vacant houses?

Furnishings tend to soak up noise pretty well.

• spf5209
    Original Author
    12 years ago

David - The main supply duct is 8 X 10 inch galvanized and then the runs are 6-inch galvanized tubes. They did come in and made some adjustments and have added some insulation to the outside if the tube pipe. It is better but I am thinking the lining/insulation should go on the inside or is it all about velocity and size, so maybe a bigger duct size for the run? Did you buy a certain type of wood register or is there just one basic model?

Brickeyee - No, I have not listened to many vacant house systems, but I'm having trouble imagining a dining table, sofa, an area rug, and two chairs soaking up a lot of noise. Am I being unrealistic in thinking that if I am sitting in my chair reading without the TV on that I should not be hearing rumbling from the HVAC or whistling/air rushing noises from the registers?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"an area rug, and two chairs soaking up a lot of noise."

These will soak up a LOT of noise.

Whistling is a problem indicator. Something is restricting flow and increasing the flow speed to make the high frequency sound.
    A we designed a system will have a low level of essentially 'white' noise. A gentle rushing sound at low amplitude.

You can often still notice it if you are trying to listen for the unit coming on and switching off.

• jeannc
    12 years ago

My new house has same loud problem. I have a 3 zone system. When 1 zone alone comes on (heat or a/c), the air volume noise is tremendous-like very heavy rain. In one particular zone, each register (ceiling) makes a loud pulsating noise in addition to the loud air noise.

My house is fully furnished-builder says this is normal. So, I too am unhappy, but do not know what else to do!

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

I thought I was the only one! Everyone thought I was crazy when I mentioned how loud the air was coming out of the floor vents. I think it's the wood covers, which I've never had before. They had to take them off to do something with the floor, and the air came on and it was quiet.

• worthy
    12 years ago

but I am thinking the lining/insulation should go on the inside

That makes Joe Lstiburek's list of
    Top 10 Dumb Things to do in the South
    . And, unless you're in the far north, it's still the South a few months of the year in other climates as well.

• spf5209
    Original Author
    12 years ago

worthy wrote "That makes Joe Lstiburek's list of
    Top 10 Dumb Things to do in the South."

And therein lies my dilemma as the equipment manufacturer and many other engineers recommend lining the first five feet of the duct for noise attenuation.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Lining the inside of any ducting makes about as much sense as using plastic visquine lined flex ducting. The liner deteriorates causing all kinds of "goonies" floating through your air.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio