Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adoptedbygreyhounds

Don't leave your purse in the trunk of your car!!

I just wanted to post a reminder that this is not safe. Twice in the last 3 months in our family, a car has been broken into and purses stolen.

Last night, DD and a friend were just gone for a few minutes. Someone obviously watched them put their purses in the car. DD lost housekeys and carkeys (mine), ID, charge cards and checks, and a little money. This was in Atlanta.

In Washington DC, DS and girlfriend were just going into a grocery to pick up a few things. Same story.

DH and I intend to wean out unecessary cards, copy the rest and leave the info in a file. The inconvenience of notifying charge cards and banks, closeing accounts and changing locks is not outweighed by the convenience of going purseless!

To all mothers out there, "HAPPY MOTHER"S DAT"

Comments (9)

• User
    17 years ago

If you are going to put your purse in the trunk (and I can't imagine why), do it before you get to your destination. And if you need to put packages in the trunk or back of the car and intend to continue shopping, it's wise to move the car.

This was rule number one in Home Health Nursing in Baltimore City. And when someone forgot, their car inevitibly got broken into.

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

I have left my purse in the trunk sometimes but I never put it in at my destination - always before I arrive. It does still make me nervous as I've been with people twice who came out to find their entire car stolen!!

Here's another one I just heard about where I live. You know how people leave their purse in their grocery cart? They keep a close eye on it but may look away for a few seconds to grab something? A woman on the radio described how she did this - even kept her grocery ad over her purse so it wasn't visible. While she was quick looking away, someone asked her for help finding something while the other party reached under the paper into her purse and took her wallet. I usually don't let my purse out of my sight at all but I used to always keep it in the cart. No more - I keep it on the shoulder at all times.

• namabafo
    17 years ago

I confess to leaving my purse in the trunk sometimes. Actually, I sometimes leave it right between the seats and lock the van when I pick up dd at school...I'll have to start watching that...

I will say that when in a store, my purse is *always* over my shoulder. I am truly amazed at how many people leave their purse in the seat and walk away looking for something... Happened just last week at Target...I walked by a woman who was walking away from her cart (parked by an end cap of an aisle) looking at items. I got to her cart and not only was her purse in the seat--it was wide open with her wallet hanging out. I turned back and she was *3* aisles down...I could have grabbed her wallet and kept walking...

• mtnester
    17 years ago

One reason for leaving your purse in the trunk is when you go out for exercise (walking, jogging, bike riding, etc). You need your driver's licence, cash, glasses, etc, but you don't want to carry them while you're exercising. As others have said, if you put your purse in the trunk before you leave home, you'll avoid the risk, but it will still be available if and when needed.

I'm AMAZED at the careless behavior of people in the supermarket, too.

Sue

• wooderlander
    17 years ago

We had a little pile of several Target gift cards picked out at Christmastime but not yet paid for, just sitting in the top of the cart while we shopped for other things. I turned away for a second, didn't even step away, and when I turned back, the whole cart had quietly vanished. It definitely was deliberate, because you couldn't miss those cards. I could not believe how quickly and silently the whole thing happened. I'm pretty sure they thought we planned to spend the gift cards rather than pay for them, and they got a surprise when they tried to cash them in at checkout. Just glad it wasn't a purse!

• snookums
    17 years ago

That happened to me, in college. Dh (then boyfriend) and I went to a party and I didn't want to have to carry my purse around. So I emptied my wallet and put all of it's contents in my jean pocket, and put my empty wallet in my purse with just makeup now in it in the trunk of my car, and walked away. When we returned, someone had totally trashed the car - it was a hatchback Celica and I had locked the back seat access to the hatch/trunk. They had broken the driver window and then when they couldn't get into the trunk through the back seat, they broke the back window ($$$$) and the hatch cover, stole my near empty purse, an empty suitcase, and my earthquake kit. So they got nearly nothing but totally trashed my car!

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

wooderlander, I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed the wrong cart at the grocery store and not realized it until unloading at the checkout stand. Catfood? Brussels sprouts? Chocolate milk? This isn't mine! Obviously my head is elsewhere... If I've ever run off with your cart, I'm sorry!

Thank goodness I've never snagged one with a purse in it! I don't carry a purse into stores because I'm too ditsy lately. I put my credit card in my bra. I get odd looks occasionally when I hand them a warm card...

• jerzeegirl
    17 years ago

Another bit of advice.....don't put your entire checkbook in your purse. If I have to bring a check with me, I rip one check out of the checkbook and I fill out as much as possible ahead of time and I use a gel pen so the information cannot be washed away. As hampton pointed as, getting checks stolen can be a real p.i.t.a.