Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Share your favorite/most worn/most versatile clothing item

Sueb20
9 years ago

I do enjoy our fashion discussions. I wondered if we might all share "the best piece I own"... with a photo if possible?

In getting ready to switch over the summer/fall clothes, I am reminded of one of my fall/winter favorites: a black Eileen Fisher cardigan. It is a very basic cardigan, similar to the one in the link, but I end up wearing it so much! It's good with jeans, or worn like a blazer to more formal events. I have worn it to less-formal fundraiser events with black dress pants and a blouse -- I like that it covers my less-favorite body parts. But I have also worn it with jeans. It's warm but not bulky, and yet not TOO warm. I have a very similar EF cardigan in a black and white marled knit, and another in a burgundy (all purchased at the outlet), but the black one gets the most wear.

My other favorite: Lucky Brand Easy Rider jeans. I have about 8 pairs!

Here is a link that might be useful: EF sweater

Comments (53)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, speaking of Horny Toad, my favorite casual summer dress is this one. I own two, both black, because I was afraid they might stop making them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Best casual dress

• tinam61
    9 years ago

No pics, I'd have to go digging through my closet and model - and that's not gonna happen, ha!

I love cardigans Sue. I know KSWL said others have thought they are out-of-style or old fashioned, but they are so popular! There are so many updated styles. I have some similar to yours, some with the drapey type front (comes down a little longer in front than back), some button, some don't, even have a belted one. I also like the marled yarns.

Black pants are one of my most favorite/most worn, most versatile. I have wider legs, slim legs, ponte pants (slimmest leg), ankle length, etc. Not to mention black yoga pants . . .

A white shirt. Dresses up or down, wear a funky necklace or a scarf. Can be worn with jeans, skinny pants, or tailored pants.

A denim shirt. My favorite one is a longer length, tencel fabric. I love to wear it with slim pants and a chunky necklace. Can be worn with a tank or tee underneath, or with a scarf.

Still one of my fave jeans is a pair of levis (can't think of the number and too lazy to go look), longer and boot cut. Love with heeled clogs or booties.

Just a few of my fav pieces.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Sue, I am so glad you posted that EF cardigan. This is apparently my year of EF I have a shopping cart with a few pair of pants I fell in love with when shopping earlier this month (too warm to let myself think of fall clothes) and a couple of sweaters. I am trying to decide between the short icon cardie or the long... and I am in love with the oatmeal high low cardi.

Which leads to one of my favorite fall wardrobe pieces.. a long RL cardigan. I can't call it a topper because it is a cable pattern but it's very long. It originally came with a rhinestone pin to close it-- I rarely wear it but it does let me dress it up for, say, Thanksgiving festivities but most often I wear it with a dressier long sleeve tee or a turtleneck.

Other favorites - a selection of jackets I can wear with dress pants OR jeans.. my now over-the-hill black suede wedge booties, one of a few jean jackets and the scores of scarves and jewelry that class up a simple turtleneck.

I need a new leather jacket. Maybe santa will surprise me!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Great idea for a thread!

Old Navy boyfriend skinny jeans and khakis. They have a relaxed boyfriend fit in the hips and thighs, narrow leg and the waist isn't too low. The come in lots of colors and washes. I roll the cuff down and they look like ankle pants, roll the cuff up and they are more casual.

They are only $30 and almost always on sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boyfriend skinny pants

• geokid
    9 years ago

A good coat. It doesn't matter what you have on under it, a good coat automatically dials up the style. (I live in a part of the country where we wear coats of some sort 9 months out of the year.)

My favorite from my closet...until I buy my next favorite :-)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I would have to say my jean jacket. It's not a regular style, but has a 1" denim ruffle at the wrists, around the neckline, and around the bottom~ii've been wearing it for at least 5 years. The other item is also a jacket, black wool double breasted, and comes just to my hips.

I either wear black leggings(have several pair in different fabric weights), or black Michael Kors jeans the majority of the time. DD and I went shopping the other night and I'm 'changing up' my style this winter with a black wool blazer. I have every intention of wearing skirts with tights/boots or leggings/boots, rather than jeans. I love boots in the fall/winter months!

• User
    9 years ago

LOVE that coat, geokid!!

Would have to say that my go to outfit in fall and winter is black knit separates, a pair of slim pull on slacks and a round neck, three quarter sleeve black top, mid hip length with a swing shape from the pleat in the middle of the back. This outfit can go anywhere.....in warmer autumn I wear d'orsay flats, basic black or gold to dress it up....in winter I wear black velvet smoking slippers with gold embroidery :-) This outfit can be accessorized with about half my Hermes scarf collection and all my other winter scarves, or with substantial gold jewelry and earrings, or with miles of pearls (40" strand of 10mm pearls looks especially good with this!). And I have a great color blocked taupe and black sweater/poncho that provides just the right amount of warmth over it with a black cashmere scarf. Or a red cape from Bergdorf's that was my mother's, it also looks great with this outfit. I would probably wear it every day if I could!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I'd like to find a neat cape or poncho.

I could add jean jacket to my list also.

Pattycakes, why did I think you lived somewhere hot? I realized I'm obviously wrong as I read your list!

Geo - that coat is darling. I don't have many coats as we get just a small period of really cold weather.

• User
    9 years ago

Um,... black? LOL. Black is my favorite color to wear so I have lots of it. It's easy to dress up or be casual. I also have some stripe shirts I really like- navy & white, white & navy, black & white, white & black.

Hey count me in on liking cardigans. Thankfully they don't make just one style.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

I have these Hue corduroy leggings that I really love. They are comfortable and I wear them all the time with long sweaters. They are also really cheap so I don't care if they get dirty or need to be replaced. I have a bunch of pairs in different colors. The black, grey and brown are nice. Some of the bright colors are too bright and I don't like them at all!

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Ha Jamies.. I have that same scarf in the pastel colorway. I don't wear it often but every time I do, I get multiple compliments when I wear it. I actually bought an old client one because she always ogled mine!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought a poncho during a trip to Woodstock, VT, last month! It's still too warm yet to wear it but I can't wait. So "out of the box" for me. It's dark green cashmere. Yummy.

Sorry I am not responding to everyone but I do agree with the coat/jacket concept. I may have really boring clothes but I love a funky jacket. I have an orange corduroy jacket, I know it sounds weird but everyone tells me I look good in orange, that is about 10 years old and I get so many compliments on it. I also have a great Boden purple wool short jacket that I love. And a navy/white polka dot rain jacket from Anthro... I have been looking for a new winter coat for two years and can't find The Right One. Maybe this is the year.

I love fun scarves, too -- that one is really cute. jamies!

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Beagles, have you tried the boot cut corduroy from HUE?
    I think I want to try a pair of these. Do they really feel like a step up from workout or yoga pants?

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I wish I could wear a scarf. I love the look, it's so versatile and easily dresses up an otherwise plain outfit. I've purchased several scarves, will put one on, DH says I look great, and just before walking out the door - I take it off! I'm just not comfortable wearing them and I don't know why.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

long, black "travel knit" skirt. Had it for years (Coldwater Creek, I think); wearing it now.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

jamies , yes I have the grey ones and had the brown ones but I didn't like the brown. I think they are much nicer than yoga pants. They are thicker and they look more like regular corduroy pants. I will wear those out w/ a nice sweater to restaurants but wouldn't wear yoga pants to a restaurant.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

My red Talbots trench coat (5 years old now), and any of my EF sweaters (most days, I wear them to work instead of a suit jacket). Fortunately, have an EF outlet within driving distance!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Magdalena, I have done the exact same thing about 100 times!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

My indigo blue or black "So Lifting" Chico's jeans, paired with a v-neck cashmere sweater (I have several colors) and chunky jewelry and short boots (either black, brown or tan suede). I am in the process of putting summer clothing away and bringing out the winter comfies!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

So interesting to hear everyone's favorites. When I used to travel very frequently, I had loads of black and still do even though I love color. For some reason I have been stuck in a grey rut lately. Why is everything single thing I have bought grey?!

I also remembered my favorite Cole Haan flat-heeled black riding boots that are 6-7 years old at least. A couple of years ago I had a shoe guy re-condition them. He did a great job, and they looked brand new last year. They were on sale when I bought them, and a real deal IIRC. Love these boots.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Magdalena and sueb20. Me three !!! I love, love them, but... ?? Best for me are the long, narrow-ish ones. I simply, boringly drape around my nck and loosely knot at breastbone or mid drift . They hide tummy area nicely if I'm wearing a clingy top.
    The big square ones leave me feeling too encumbered , and at a loss how to wear them in a way that's attractive, and comfortably unselfconscious. I don't get it either.
    :(

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I have a black polar fleece type fitted jacket, stand up collar and zip front that I'm wearing right now, and wear much of the year....inside like a sweater when the house is chilly, and outside, especially when shopping, as it is so light weight and easy to carry, yet comfy warm. In the winter, I wear it under coats, and in the summer, I drag it along like a cardigan. I should've gotten two...I'll have to keep my eye out. Maybe a navy one would be good.

• kkay_md
    9 years ago

Mine is an Ann Taylor black wool-cashmere blazer. It's several years old, and was on sale when I snapped it up. I return to it again and again. Very versatile, flattering, comfy, warm. A classic.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

This is a hard one for me. But I think i can add my Ralph Lauren silk black and white scarf to this list of favorite things.
    I don't like heavy scarves, and I like this one with my light weight jackets and my my heavier down coats.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I have such scarf envy... Whenever I see someone well put together, it seems she has a scarf on. Yet again, I decide I need to incorporate scarves. Yet again, I buy one, put it on, and yep, yet again, take it off before I leave. I just feel choked to death! The weird thing is I have a long neck...

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I have such scarf envy... Whenever I see someone well put together, it seems she has a scarf on. Yet again, I decide I need to incorporate scarves. Yet again, I buy one, put it on, and yep, yet again, take it off before I leave. I just feel choked to death! The weird thing is I have a long neck...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

My most worn item is a favorite bathrobe ( I think this is a popular item to hold onto for far too long, since they are often comfy and are personal). The robe I can't give up is white terry, but the terry has raised self design, sort of paisley. It also has turned up cuffs in a contrasting cotton, black and white paisley print. (it also has a rip in it, drat) I bought it probably 16 or 17 years ago on a trip to Paris with my Mom, in a department store near our hotel (but not GL or Printemps, ie not a tourist place at all). I wish I could have it replicated.

My favorite go-to outfit is a fitted white button down shirt with a long scarf. Preferably the shirt has 3/4 sleeves and a hidden placket. Must be a very good quality cotton, and opaque. To me, this look is so flattering and classic. Prints are nice, but I think people look great in white, the way diamonds are placed on black velvet. It shows you, the wearer, off -- not the garment. This photo does not have the hidden placket but it is a very good example of my ideal shirt (fitted, 3/4 and on the long side);

(oh and I have to work on that come hither thing she's got going, too!)

You can wear it year round, and with khakis or jeans or capris or good wool slacks. You can dress it up with jewelry, button it down for evening. Mostly I wear it with scarves. The long oversized flowy cotton ones that one wraps around sort of cowl-style. I like the way it frames the face, and I can find scarves I love for $5 on NY street corners as well as in the $100s. I probably own 3-4 dozen of these type of scarves.

To me, a square scarf is hard to tie and hard to wear and doesn't elongate you the way a cowl can or, my fave, the overly-long scarf in a light gauzy material , like this or like many in the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: I love anthro scarves

• deegw
    9 years ago

I also have scarf envy. I am glad I am not alone. I can't stand the feeling of a necklace or a scarf on my neck. I wear necklaces but take them off as soon as I can. I try to wear scarves but often take them off before I leave the house because I feel like I am playing dress up.

I love mtnrd's burberry scarf picture but wearing it wrapped around my neck like that would drive my CRAZY.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

aww, really? Have you tried the light gauzy cotton ones (that Burberry one is cotton gauze btw, not wool)? They weigh nothing and are draped so loosely....

• deegw
    9 years ago

mtnrd - I know it's irrational. Like a fear of tiny spiders. Fear that a scarf or necklace will come alive and strangle me? Is that a universally recognized phobia? :)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I don't actually remember when, maybe in my late thirties, but I just couldn't wear a turtle neck or scarf. I can only wear a scarf outdoors with a coat or jacket. I can't leave them on. My neck just gets too hot.

My DD's wear all those loopy large scarves and look great in them. Even if I could put up with wearing one, they over whelm me since I have a small frame.

• User
    9 years ago

I only feel completely and well dressed with a beautiful scarf, in my case it is almost a security blanket.....well, the rest of her outfit is awful but at least the scarf is Hermes...

Also LOVE turtlenecks and would live in them year round if they had built in air conditioners for summer! (Does anyone remember that Thing about Diane Keaton's turtlenecks in the movie Something's Gotta Give?)

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 8:16

• Jamie
    9 years ago

I have scarf issues too. But the min-granny one I posted is silk/rayon and very flat. Because it's not acrylic or wool, and lays flat, and is openish crocheted, It's the perfect combination of slippery and stays-where-it-lays. I can wear it longer than some other ones. Guess that's why it's a favorite item.

I bought a couple of little crocheted ribbon necklaces at a fund raiser. These make good scarf substitues, and I find that I can actually wear them. Very colorful, and they have the textile feel when you don't want to wear jewelry. Of course it's a different look - it accentuates delicate collar bones, where a scarf tends more to bulk up the appearance of your upper body (thereby shrinking your hips :))

I'd like to see a whole thread on white shirts. Right now I'm considering one from wintersilks and one from llbean.

Like bestyears pointed out in her vacay home thread, the closer you get the more to consider..

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy necklace

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

KSWL, I love Hermes ties, but Hermes scarves feel too queen-of-england, especially for every day. Plus, unless they have changed, they were always big squares, which are so hard to tie. When I tie them, I feel like a cowboy in a kerchief, or a boy scout, or a kid about to dive into spaghetti. Plus they are tighter to my neck and not washable. After a while something so close to me that can only be drycleaned is unpleasant, too.

Ellendi, you make a good point.

Jamies, another white shirt fan! I forgot to mention my other criteria - no pockets! For the same reason I like hidden plackets --- clean smooth lines. Ralph Lauren has some nice choices. Chicos also had a nice one, and no-iron to boot.

• User
    9 years ago

Lol about the Boy Scout or cowboy look!!

The squares come in two sizes, and the larger one is really more versatile. MaiTai has some wonderful scarf tying videos on her blog, she is a lovely German woman of a certain age who lives in France. And although you are **supposed** to dry clean your scarves and I usually do, they can be hand washed and rolled up in a towel to dry, then pressed beneath a piece of cotton flannel, which makes them fresh and clean again.

I think the queen wears her scarves around her head to preserve her hairdo from the rain. I have worn mine that way in a convertible, but you have to have the size that is long enough to cross the ends in front of your neck and go around your neck and tie back in front to make sure it doesn't blow away!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mai Tai's Picture Book

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

I framed all of my mom's Hermes scarves and hung them in the garage.

My favorite most worn piece of clothing is a trench coat that I've had forever.

Next favs are a black leather jacket, black cashmere coat, black riding boots and a camel hair walking coat.

• User
    9 years ago

"I framed all of my mom's Hermes scarves and hung them in the garage."

Ouch.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

Didn't mean for it to be an "ouch" moment, kswl. They were too beautiful to give away. By framing them and hanging them in the garage, we were able to appreciate them on a daily basis.

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks for that clarification, Marlene----I thought you were symbolically trashing them!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True confession: I do not own a white shirt.

True confession part two: I don't wear any kind of shirt that has to be tucked in. I don't know why, it just makes me uncomfortable to have to tuck in a shirt. I think part of the problem is that I have a hard time finding one that fits properly. I am short, so if it's too long, there's too much material to tuck in. Also, I have a small waist and find that to get a shirt large enough to not feel tight on my arms, the shirt ends up being too blousy around the waist, and it looks stupid.

So now you know. Also, really, my lifestyle doesn't often call for a white dress shirt.

Oh wait. I do have one white blouse, but it has little pink bicycles printed on it. And...I have never worn it!

I have spent a couple hours in my closet today weeding out the summer stuff. I love bringing down the boxes of fall/winter clothes from the attic and re-discovering the sweaters!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

SueB,

Oh, I hate that part of fall, admitting the cold weather is here, LOL!

Neither of the models are wearing them tucked in, and neither do i ... the style is meant to elongate, not divide in half with the horizontal line of a belt. As for fit, are you trying petite fitted styles? The men's shirt with no darts or seams is not nearly as flattering, it hides the waistline curve.

I am not sure I would call it a "dress shirt". For me, a white cotton shirt is perhaps most lovely with jeans, a pair of boots, and a gauzy Anthro scarf.

The bicycle shirt sounds cute!

Maybe you could identify more with the same look in a color? I couldn't find great examples, but while I was looking, I came across one example of colors, and on the link below there is also a video of a woman wearing what I am recommending (3/4, opaque, no pockets, buttons not visible or hidden, meant to be worn out). I think she looks super.

Here is a link that might be useful: click on the arrow under the photo

• texanjana
    9 years ago

The first item of mine is also a white shirt, much like the one pictured by Mtn, but I think the one I have is a Foxcroft. It's 3/4 sleeve, buttons up the front, is fitted and not meant to be tucked in. So versatile, I wear it year round.

The second is a black hip-length leather coat that is the perfect weight for our winters here. I bought it for myself for my birthday years ago, and still love it.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I under appreciate cold weather so I dread the closet change over this time of year and rejoice when putting fall and winter things away. It's a vicious cycle: I don't like winter clothes so I don't like to shop for them, then winter comes and I don't have anything to wear which makes me dislike winter even more.

I wear a lot of white shirts - button downs and tees of various necklines and fabrics. I can't stand to wear turtlenecks but I can wear a scarf, I guess because I can take it off or rewrap it if necessary.

I wear scarves from October to May. I have many, many scarves of all sizes and materials.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I am soo NOT a fashion maven compared to the rest of you ;-)

Here's my favorite item. I have 3.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Red, I have that shirt too!! Hey, maybe it comes in white...

• ellendi
    9 years ago

And speaking about shirts, I'm actually buying them too but the more loose fitting ones from Loft.
    At work I wore parchment colored khaki pants, a white tee and a Loft work shirt worn open. Remember that combination? I received so many complements.
    Nostalgia perhaps?
    Mtn, I can see you stocking up on those shirts, since you might on see them as readily as other items.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1761002/SONOMA-life-style-Straight-Leg-Knit-Jeans-Women-s.jsp?pfm=rrrecs-pdp-vert

These jeans are amazing! I had a 30% off coupon and went to Kohls to get Cuddledowns. Came out with two pair of these (black and blue). They are so comfy. Wore one pair to work yesterday and plan on wearing the other pair today to a cookout. They remind me of my fav Chico's jeans, the So Lifting, which are not being made this year.

They are on sale for $21.99 then I had the 30% off coupon.
    They feel like pj's on!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I love scarves for dressing up an outfit. I wore them a lot in Europe as they are an extra layer...over the shoulders for the cathedral, over the head for a drizzle, around the neck if it's chilly, around the purse if it's hot... Below is a nice video for ideas about how to tie a scarf.

However, I too am in the camp of no more turtlenecks...when I have a hot flash, it feels like strangulation. Scarves I can take off, but turtlenecks, I'm stuck. Such a shame as I have a zillion of them...I lived in them all winter when I was working...they look so great under a jacket, with or without a scarf, necklace or lapel pin...

I have a couple of white shirts, but I have trouble finding them opaque enough, I never have them ironed so when I'm rushing to get dressed, I by pass them for something that doesn't need ironing, and with my coloring, the white is a washout on me so I have to add color besides. I also have to worry about length as I'm short...tunic shapes just cut me off. Then there's the boobage issue...button fronts can gape on me which also isn't fun. (I remember giving a talk one time, and the fellow in the front row was staring at my belly. I realized my shirt had gaped and he was seeing skin. At least it wasn't in the boob arena. Last time I did that! After that it was pullovers, button in the back, long scarves in front or camis underneath!) So for me, it's not a go to item, though I can see how it could be for someone else.

Also, these days, I'm so into comfort that knits are by far my favorites...they move and stretch with me. When I wear wovens without any lycra in them, I feel like I'm fighting my clothes.

I didn't try them, but was tempted....I was in walmart and see that Lee is making a super comfortable jean now out of very stretchy, very soft denim with almost a flannel like feel...a real cross between a legging and a jean...but they also had them boot cut. Next time I'm at the VF outlet, I'll have to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to tie a scarf

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Presently my most favorite is "Not your daughters jeans". Good fit & very comfortable.