Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjacker

Inexpensive washer & dryer - in home for sale

cjacker
15 years ago

We have our home for sale and my washer quit.

Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive washer and dryer? We are living in the home at least until spring or summer so want something that does a decent job but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks for any information you could share. Jeanie

Comments (5)

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

I would buy second hand set like from Craig's list or from newspaper. Now lots of people is getting rid of stuff b/c of foreclosure, moving etc. I bought my first washer like this (for 40 dollars)here in USA and lasted me 9 years - it was already 12 years old!! It was Maytag. Even after all those years only hose started to leak but I got me a new one.

• cynic
    15 years ago

The Whirlpool siblings at the low end are fine machines for the money. My cousin bought a set of Inglis for about $400 for the pair and a friend bought Ropers for a little under $400. Similar machines and they're both happy as could be with them. I nearly bought an Inglis dryer but got the deal on the Whirlpool Gold so I got that instead.

I assume you're going to leave the set with the house? The other advantage is these are ordinary basic top loaders that most people know how to use. If they're laundraholics they'd probably replace anything you put in anyway so I wouldn't spend a bundle on it if I were you.

BTW, what's wrong with the washer? Maybe it could be fixed easily. And do you really need a dryer too?

• cjacker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cynic, the washer is one of the first Maytag Neptune FL, which we have already put a ton of money into and don't want to repair again. The dryer is probably over 15 years old, so thought we would sell it for what we could get out of it. The set will go with the house so thought we would put in something inexpensive that I'll use until we leave, but will look nice when the house is shown to prospective buyers. Thanks for the info on what you recommend - I will definitely check them out.
    czeckchick2, I have checked on craigslist and so far haven't found anything.
    We are rural and about an hour and a half from any appliance dealer so will keep checking craigslist, etc. until the weekend and then go in and check out the ones cynic has recommended.
    Thanks so much.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

If you don't find anything on craigslist in your area, check your local/area newspaper for yard and garage sales in your area this weekend. I see washers and dryers for sale all the time in our local paper, usually $50 singly and $100 for a pair.

• mike_73
    15 years ago

also if you have any small local community papers that come out every week look in there. we have something called Community Currier that comes in the mail every week which is a good source for classified adds. the adds are cheaper to buy than the daily papers so many people will place adds in those.

IF you want a new set and want a front load washer the Frigidaire is not too expensive, not complicated to use and looks decent. mine has worked well for me. other than that buying a low end Whirlpool is a good bet for the the average home buyer in a started home or any area where young families are moving that are just starting out in a home of their own. They will be just pleased to have one there and not have to worry about buying one. Now if its an upscale neighborhood you may want to not be so cheap as to turn some picky buyers off.