Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica1026_gw

Need help picking colors for exterior of Home!!

Jessica1026
12 years ago

New help picking colors to paint our home. It has a fake brick (pale yellow with multi-colors in it). My husbands wants doesn't want to paint over the brick, but he hates the yellow. Was thinking of a sage green, but would i have to paint the bricks? The house is in Florida and i'm planning on doing some landscaping after painting it. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have!! Thanks~

Jessica

https://picasaweb.google.com/111053091072315741940/January262012?authkey=Gv1sRgCOqHiO-syMSoPQ

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

I would pick out one of the lighter tan colors from the brick and paint the wood parts with that, maybe a little less yellow than you have right now. Then, the brick that is already painted around the front walk I would repaint a much darker shade also taken from the existing brickwork.

However---if it were my house---I would paint the whole thing a taupe color with the trim a lighter creamy shade of ivory. This would unify the exterior. And I'd do it in a taupe that leans slightly toward brown tones than greys, since your roof is in brown tones.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Your pics

• Jessica1026
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice! Painting it in two weeks so really could use any other suggestions!
    Thanks!!

• Jessica1026
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice! Painting it in two weeks so really could use any other suggestions!
    Thanks!!

• caminnc
    12 years ago

I would find the darkest color of your roof in a paint deck and go about 3 or 4 shades lighter on the four outer walls. Then I think I would do the brick wall a darker color on the same strip.

• jjdcl
    12 years ago

I would pick a color that would make the brick disappear as much as possible, probably a medium to dark tan would work the best. If you painted it sage green it would have an even more patchy feel.

If it were my house I wouldn't paint just yet. I'd remove the octogan door frame, the pillars on either sides of the windows, the trim detail in between the windows, the wood siding, the brick garden walls, and the brick. I would stucco everything and then paint. I would add really tall shutters to the windows and some gas lamps. A dark tan or sage green with black shutters would look awesome.

Yes, I know that's probably not in the budget, but it's what I see when I look at the pictures!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I think straightening that door frame is a good idea as is removing the columns if they are not structural-they look decorative with the exception if the one near the door, so it shouldn't be too hard. Get rid of the low brick walls as jjdcl also said-no cost since that is a DIY project.

You could also change the garage door to mimic the windows on the other side-there are so many choices now-ones that look like french doors (that is what we have on our ranch)and other more modern interpretations. Just google to find examples. I would not do shutters on a house like yours.

I would paint the non-brick areas one of the middle shades from the brick. I actually like the brick and think you might, too, once that yellow is gone.

Pretty house that could be a fabulous mid-century type ranch with a few changes.

• kayec28
    12 years ago

I can't tell what function the low brick walls are serving,(is that a patio area? a garden?) but I do know that I had a similar wall around a side patio of my house. That side of the house had drainage issues due to the slope of the land. One of the first things my landscaper did was take down part of the wall because it was basically acting as a corral for the pooling water. I wondered if your walls could also be corraling water close to your house, which is never a good thing.

I would try not to paint the brick until you've at least experimented with pulling another color out of it. I agree with earlier posters about trying one of the tan/brown colors in the brick to paint the rest of the house, which will minimize the yellow you dislike so much. If that works, change your outdoor lights to something bronze-y and substantial. You could find some bronzed house numbers to place either vertically down the one structural pillar or horizontally in the triangular space above the garage.

Here is a link that might be useful: house numbers

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH