Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexandra_marie_gw

Lots of Pics! Looking for paint suggestions for new home!

alexandra_marie
14 years ago

Hi there!

I've asked a bunch of paint questions over the past few months, and now i'm looking for the 'main' paint color for my new home. I was planning on Kilim beige, but my floor is wood w/ a light stain (it's the enitre downstairs and most of the upstairs), my kitchen is maple w/ a toffee stain, and my granite is similar to Santa Cecilia classic. That is a lot of beige. To top it off, my two sofas are beige...

I've attached a bunch of pics of the main living spaces. These are pictures from the first day we moved in so it's pretty empty. Actually, it's still empty a month later as it's our first home :) lol.

The chartreuse settee will be in the main living room w/ the beige couches. The pillows on the couches are just temporary until I figure out what I want.

The only thing I know is that the back wall (where the fireplace is) will be SW Reflecting Pool. It's a soothing turquoise color. I love the 'pop' of the turquoise and the chartreuse couch.

For the main space, I'm clueless. Should I go gray.. or is that depressing? Taupe? Ugh, I'm clueless.

I like lighter colors but most rooms get a lot of light so I feel they may get washed out. Reds, golds and sages are not my style (so gorgeous in other homes though) so please don't recommend anything like that.

For a little more info, the kitchen and main living room are one big space. There is no place (besides the bay window) where you can change colors.

THANK YOU for any and all suggestions!

Example of 'Reflecting Pool' from MyNashvilleNest

Comments (18)

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

What a nice space and I love the furniture you have so far. Will you be looking for an area rug in the living room? If so, you might take a look at Company C rugs, as they have some really pretty, colorful patterns. Since you'll have a strong color on your accent wall and strong colors in your furniture and (I assume) accessories, I'd recommend staying fairly neutral on the rest of the walls. Maybe a shade a bit lighter than the color of your sofa and chair. Take a look at a color like BM Everlasting, if that's not too pale for you. Also, you might bring that pretty turquoise back into the kitchen with backsplash tile...

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

I think yellow would be lovely as your main color. But, I think what you need to do is go to the paint store, buy a few pots of paint, paint them on some boards and start moving them around your house. See how the different paint colors react in the light, how do they feel at night, how are they during the day, do the colors evoke a positive feeling for you? Unfortunately, there is no short cutting this process. It can be a frustrating and lengthy process but in the end this is the best way to ensure that you will actually like the color or colors that you choose. Good luck!

• sundownr
    14 years ago

I've just repainted my whole house. I really like Sanderling SW7513 in my LR and Pavilion Beige SW7512 in my BR. My DR is a darker color that I really like too, Homestead Brown SW7515.

• djsaw
    14 years ago

Beautiful house! Personally, I would find an inspiration piece. For example, I would use the pillows on your bed. The green in the pillows looks about the same (on my computer screen) as the green in the couch. I would paint the walls the blue in the pillow and hang green curtains that match the green in the settee. Since you said that you don't like warm colors I would just leave the dark brown to the wood furniture.

If you don't like that idea, then go shopping for an inspiration piece, preferably one that has 4-5 different colors, that has the blue and green in it that you like. Then paint the walls the lightest color and go from there. You'd be surprised at how easy it is once your colors are already picked out for you. Good luck!

• hilltop_gw
    14 years ago

Can't help with paint suggestions but want to say your home is beautiful!! Can you share what kind/brand of floor you have? Type of wood? Engineered? Was it finished on-site? How's it holding up? Really pretty.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Your home is beautiful w/present paint color.....very elegant! Personally, I would use color in fabric, area rugs, accessories, etc. ;o)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Your home is gorgeous! I love all the windows and warm wood tones. You mentioned that your flooring is maple stained toffee. It is beautiful. I'm curious, because I thought I had heard that maple cannot be stained well. Would you mind sharing how your floor was finished?

As for the paint colors, I agree with others who stated that you might find it best to keep your background neutral if your furniture fabrics and accessories will be bold and bright. When we built our home, the most helpful thing in terms of choosing paint colors was to buy sample pots and paint poster board or wood to see how it would look in the rooms. It's better to spend a little money on samples than to choose something you don't end up liking and either have to live with it or pay to have it repainted.

• alexandra_marie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW thanks for all the comments all!

Jan in Wisconsin- I may have miss typed it. My cabinets are maple, not the floor. My floor is Capella Pecan, prefinsished. I also agree that I want my background neutral as i'm looking for a color to paint most of the areas. I know that accent wall will be tealish, which is bright enough, so I want the rest a neutral color. I'm not sure if I should go more beige, taupe, or gray. Or, a yellow as someone suggested. I like colors in accessories, but walls to be relatively neutral, minus my crazy accent wall ;)

Hilltop - My floor is called Natural Pecan by Capella. It is engineered and comes prefinsihed (does al. It holds up well when say, walking on it with heels (no little indents) but is scratches like crazy! My dad helped us move in and slide our mattress across the floor. I now have a 10 ft long scratch that is deep. I beleive it's only in the top coat, but whatever coat that is, it sure does like to scratch. My refrigerator also left long indents when being installed by the deliverymen. I stll have no regrets though, it's just beautiful in person!!

I do like warm colors, I just don't want dark colors such as deep reds or sages. I think I'm going to pick of a sample of Nomadic desert and revere pewter. This is so much harder than I thought it would be. I have a sample of kilim beige on the wall right now and it turned out a bit lighter than I thought it would be :(

I also lke the suggestion of yellow, but i'm afraid w/ the teal accent wall it will look a little like easter in here :/ Hmm...

Thank you again! More suggestions are welcomed, specially w/ pictures of paint colors if anyone has them! :)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

What a lovely house you have!! How about trying something like Sherwin Williams Ivoire or BM French White just to give some contrast against your white trim. I think either of those colors would be safely neutral, yet still give some contrast, and both would look fine with your accent wall color.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Ivoire

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Here's the French White

Here is a link that might be useful: BM French White

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

If you like teal as an accent color....
    then you really might like Silver Fox. It is a gray color
    but it is one of those pale grays that looks stunning with
    warm wood floors. And it is a bright gray not a downer
    dark gray that is sooooo coool you feel depressed.

Here is Silver Fox BM

and here are some gray combos with teal accents.

Even with your oak kitchen the gray might be lovely.
    This image is of a darker gray but I think silver fox
    might work.

• alexandra_marie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

boxerpups! Wow thanks for all the pictures! I like the idea of gray too. It will work well with our warmth, actually it may tone down some of the warm. OUr cabinets are actually Maple, but they do have an oragnish glow to them that i'd like to tone down!

We tried Nomadic Desert and Kilim beige in our home and it was HORRIBLE. Kilim beige looked like silly putty with more pink, and Nomadic Desert looked like really cheap foundation on a girls face.. kinda pinky and too dark.

We also tried SW Universal Khaki and it has a gray sheen to it. So far I love it but I think it may have too much green in it; I'm not sure. . I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and get the silver fox! Thanks for the suggestion!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Your home is beautiful. My new home is similarly painted like yours with white woods and creamy ecru walls. I think you have to be in a home or have furniture set up to get the color inspiration. Take your time and just work on the rooms as they start to develop. Sorry no help on the colors, but I have ended up leaving some of my walls as is and brought color in other ways. Good luck, I'm sure you will do a great job.

Those are nice picture boxerpups...thanks for posting them.

• alexandra_marie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI guys! I finally found a paint and it looks perfect! It's SW Urban Putty. I loovee loovee loove it! We're snowed in from the blizzard so we're painting away :)

• msrose
    14 years ago

Can't wait to see. Post pictures as soon as it's done!

Laurie

• alexandra_marie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey guys! I lost this thread for a while :(

I took a pic after we painted so I figured i'd post it! The drapes arn't up yet, but they are an off white silk... beautiful! Also, that random floor lamp doesn't belong there.. it was helping us paint in the dark since we haven't installed ceiling lights yet.

The Urban Putty is a bit darker than in looks in the main room. The most realistic picture is by where the column is. THe blue is also a bit more subdued.

I lovee it!

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Boxerpups - great ideas and pictures!

I painted my entire first floor (excluding my kitchen) BM Muslin. It is so neutral - literally every color goes with it!

Here are some LR pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Muslin

• alexandra_marie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Willowdecor -- I LOVE Muslin. It was actually one of the contendors until we settled on Urban Putty which just looks perfect in our space. We love it :)