Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Help Pick Feminine & Masculine Fabric

ttodd
14 years ago

I want to pick 2 fabrics for our chairs. Both of our desks are in the same room. I'm going to attempt the project myself. I was looking for an inexpensive decorating project and I have a book on reupholstering.

I'm not so hot at mixing patterns and I know some of you out there are. Maybe you can help narrow it down and give me your thoughts.

I won these pillow covers on e-bay (they will not be in the same room as the office but adjoining). Clearly I need to balance the stripe factor here!

My chair:

Fabrics I was looking at:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

DH's chair (he fixed it!):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Haven't liked any plaids or checks that I saw for him but if the price were right (since I only need a yard) I'd splurge on a tartan for him in a heartbeat!

I'm also looking for inspiration to do our DR chair seats. I'd like to do a mix of patterns but again drawing on the blue/tan/cream colorway. Do you have any suggestions of what fabrics you'd like to see on them? Your choosing! Doesn't have to be any of the above. Just needs to be under $10/ yard. DH promised to re-stain them very soon!

Comments (19)

• homebodymom
    14 years ago

I love your chairs! I like muted fabrics with dark wood, so i vote for

#7 for your chair and #2 (stripe) for your Hubby's chair.

What color is you dining room? I like the muted paisley (#3 in the section for your hubby's chairs) but it depends on the color of the rug/walls.
    Your chairs are so nice, any of the choices you listed would work!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Homebodymom!

The DR walls are BM Winter Wheat (a cream colr) and the ceiling is SW Universal Khaki (a brown w/ gray undertones). No rug - it's been 10 years - waiting for the right ne to find me.

This is the kitchen that I covet w/ dark blue (almost black) cabinetry - BM Polo. I'm not so inclined to paint my cabinets blue since I want to sell ASAP, but def. in the next house - those babies are going midnight blue but w/ warmer accents instead of stark white.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Either #5 and #2 or #7 and #1. I love, love, love #5.

• zipdee
    14 years ago

Wonderful chairs!

#5 for you and #2 for DH are my favs.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

ttodd, What is the color of your office walls? It's looking green in the photo of your desk.

• homebodymom
    14 years ago

OMG- the navy cabinets are amazing!! I am dying to paint my kitchen cabinets (hate the natural maple that was here when we bought) and was thinking black. But the navy.......

Breathing again- IMO if you want to do the blue/tan/cream scheme I would pick #3 paisley (from the hubby section) for the dining room chairs.
    Keep us posted !

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

#1 (stripe) for your DH's chair, #5 for your chair, and # 6 for DR.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

Number 7 for yours and number 1 for his but I'd like to see the number 1 aged a bit to blend. You could do a quick tea stain.

• roobear
    14 years ago

I like #5 for yours and #2 for him.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• loribee
    14 years ago

All really pretty---7 and 2 I think. :)

• polly929
    14 years ago

I like the paisley for both, if you wanted the same for both. But for yours I LOVE#7.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

#6 for you and the paisley for his chair. and love those navy cabinets!

• User
    14 years ago

Number 5 ... nice indigo and neutral tan, could be either masculine or feminine.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I vote for #5 for yours and # 2 for his.

• msrose
    14 years ago

I like #6 for yours and #3 for his.

Laurie

• jlc712
    14 years ago

#5 for you, and #2 for him, or

#7 for you, with #3 for him.

They are all pretty fabrics :)

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You've def. helped me weed out the no-go's and I'm going to order samples today.

My3dogs - the color is Jonesboro Cream. It does tend to lean towards green on my monitor too, IRL I wish it would go green just a hair more but it's pretty much a warm tan. It's often lumped into an orange category as an undertone. Can't say I see that though. If I were to repaint (which I AM NOT :O)!) to get it perfect I would do it SW Wool Skein.

Roobear - what can I say?! Thank you so much! Your visual was so wonderfully helpful!

Yaya - I hear what you're saying about the tea stain and it's funny that you mention that because I was just wondering the same thing this past week about tea staining upholstery fabric. Once the sample of #7 arrives I will try to tea stain it if it appears too white.

Has anyone tea dyed fabric and then used it to upholster something or make a pillow?

Aren't those cabinets wonderful?!

• jockewing
    14 years ago

Ooooohhh. Love the navy cabs. But that's something for rich people to do that have the money to have them re-painted on a whim. It's too much work painting cabs to take a risk like that unless you KNOW you love the color and can live with it for years. But yes, they are fantastic!

• les917
    14 years ago

I like a lot of the fabrics you have chosen for your chair, but I fear that the repeat of the print is going to be too large in proportion to the size of the seat. Wonder if you would consider this one instead:

paris paisley indigo

As for his chair, please consider leather instead. You could find a piece of dark blue or brown, and that with nailhead trim would be fabulous, and truly fit the chair. If not that, I would do a microsuede. I just don't feel the stripes or the paisley suit the chair.

For the DR, I know you said you wanted to mix patterns, but I thought this might be luscious for all the chairs. Like the curves that compliment the chair backs.

palace blue. And you can't beat the price!