Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
206nan

Picture Framing Gurus- I need your help- please

Mimou-GW
16 years ago

Not too long ago there was a great thread on framing art. I thought I saved it but now I can't find it. There was advice on how to determine the width of the mat, color, materials to think about... It was really an informative piece. I have had a serigraph in my closet for a long time that needs to be framed. I'm not positive where I will hang it yet. I'd like to hang it in my dining room but I'm not sure it will work there. But I will find a place for it. I think Chicoryflower framed a Jaun Romero some time ago. I know this piece won't appeal to everyone but I enjoy it. I think it is 30x31. Since there is paper beyond the image (and that is where it is signed) how does one handle that?

Any suggestions for framing this piece are welcome.

a href="http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h203/B-Island/?action=view&current=bbe3_121.jpg"; target="_blank">

Comments (9)

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

YOU GOT A JUAN ROMERO!!! Fantastic! That's a beauty, Nan!!! Did you find it on Ebay (if you don't mind me asking)?

I framed mine in natural, simple cherry frames with white matting that matches the paper. They look (if I do say so myself) drop dead gorgeous!

Wanna see mine?

This one is not a Juan Romero, but it was framed in the exact same way and I thought I'd show it for detail.

DH says that your Juan is one that we don't have yet, but that he wants. I think he wants just about all of them.

• Mimou-GW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chicoryflower Yes, I did get it on ebay. After you had posted your dining room and everyone asked about your ship, I did a favorite search on ebay as you suggested. I picked this up shortly thereafter. I saw the blue Moroccan village not too long ago and was sorry I didn't bid on it. I didn't know you had that one! I think finestartprints was the seller. Your frames are beautiful. Thanks for letting me see them. Did you do a linen liner?

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I did a standard crescent (I think) white (there are about 6 different whites). I just matched the paper and I left 1/2" all around the print showing, plus enough at the bottom for the signature and seal. The mats on all of them, no matter the size is 3", so about 2 1/2 or so shows. It's a single mat, no spacers.

I don't know if you can tell, but the matting isn't a perfect match with all of the papers, but it's very close to all of them.

DH has collected a few more, but we haven't had them all framed, because it's a bit dear, I'll tell you what. We'll get to them, eventually. He's been trying to find all the names for them (from other Ebay listers).

Did you see the original oil that just went on Ebay for $2,000+? It was gorgeous.

DH says he got some of ours from finestartprints, as well.

• Mimou-GW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I missed that original on Ebay.

I love your Biskup too!

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Thank you!

DH is the one who pours over art on Ebay. I would, but I just don't think like a collector. That's his territory.

...So, are you on the look out for more?

• bettycbowen
    16 years ago

chicoryflower, great choice on your framing. I do hope you mean Crescent 100 (as in rag mat!). And I love all those prints. I've never looked for him on ebay......

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Betty, I've never heard of Crescent 100. The frame shop I worked in separated the mats by material and I think we just referred to them as wood or cotton.

The shop I go to only carries cotton for the white core and wood for the black.

However, I think you can order anything from them.

You're better off not going to Michaels, they'll insist on double mats or mat + spacer. Lots of chain places do that kind of thing, too.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I just love the border on your print, Nan. The more I look at it the more I love it!

• Mimou-GW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will take it to a good frame shop. I just wanted to know a little about framing so I wouldn't look like a complete idiot. Do you think I could do a gold frame on that piece or would that be too weird? Maybe I need to decide where I'm hanging it before I get it framed. Chicory I would love to get more pieces. Last winter I went on kind of an Ebay binge and bought a bunch of art. I think by February I get a little crazed and need to brighten things up a bit.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH