Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candace70

Okay, another duvet question

candace70
15 years ago

This time, regarding purchasing a cover, which I believe is called the duvet cover (?).

I am looking on Overstock. The selection is quite large. Some of the comments complain about wrinkling - something I hadn't thought of.

So, what type of fabric should I be looking for if I want a very soft fabric that is less likely to wrinkle?

Comments (6)

• User
    15 years ago

I don't think I would want a duvet cover that had to be dry cleaned, therefore you will be looking at cotton. The best cotton has a high thread count, and wrinkles in the dryer. After you wash a duvet, have someone help you stretch it (snapping it by holding it at the corners and giving it a good shake out) and hang it up, smoothing it out while still damp. It will dry with fewer wrinkles, although you will still have to iron it.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I was in Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday and found these for $79.00 for all sizes (I have a king). Beautiful duvet with two shams. I bought white which is a pure, white. Lovely and silky cotton.

Love it,

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Sateen Stripe White Mini duvet

• candace70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane, have you washed it yet? It does look like something I'd like - was looking at some similar on Overstock.

Just wondering about the wrinkle factor.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

dixiechixie,

I got my first duvet cover recently (king sized duvet), tried it for a month, and have just taken it off because it makes the duvet weigh a ton. To me, one of the wonderful things about down is that it's as light as a cloud and yet still warm and cozy. The duvet cover made it feel like a big clunky old quilt. And even though there were ties at all four corners inside to keep it in place, the duvet still shifted around inside there and thing got really messy.

I decided I'm just going to use it "bare" and launder/dry clean it till it wears out.

• candace70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is a very interesting point, BDL. I was thinking of ordering a white cover. Maybe I should just try it without for a bit.

• lizzie_grow
    15 years ago

Hi dixiechixie,

I also just removed our duvet cover which we purchased from RH about 2 years ago. Because it needed a good ironing after being washed, I ended up having it done at the dry cleaners. We have a K bed & it was huge to try & iron at home.

Anyway, the issue has been that with the duvet cover on over our silk (really nice quality) comforter, the whole thing became too small (maybe bunched up a little?) & didn't fully cover the mattress down to the bedskirt. I could use the silk comforter alone as it has a nice sheen, but instead put a sort of quilted silk type coverlet (lightweight) over the comforter to protect it & dress it up a bit. Just something else to consider...I have finally decided I'm not much of duvet fan...I'm beginning to think a chenille type bedspread to the floor is the way to go!!!

Maybe I'm just getting old! Good luck with your decision.