Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Exterior white paint...warm but not cream? Is it possible?

babs711
12 years ago

Our neighbors painted their Hardy plank ivory/cream when they built a few months ago. This is New Orleans so houses are close. I'm still leaning toward either a light gray with sage undertones (BM Horizon Gray?) or white. White with charcoal shutters with antiqued brick for the porches was our first plan. If we go with white, I don't want it to be glaring. One house I know used SW Snowbound and it's glaringly white. Is there a white that's softer but without yellow undertones? I know many have used White Dove. How is it for exterior? Suggestions? Thanks!!

Comments (4)

• lkplatow
    12 years ago

I used a Sherwin Williams Martha Stewart color on the outside of my house called Picket Fence. It is white with a touch of yellow, which makes it look like a warm (not cold) white. It actually snowed yesterday and as I was outside playing with the dogs, I was noticing how the white on the house looked so warm compared to the bright white of the snow. But it is still definitely white - I found that a lot of colors that were recommended to me had a lot of gray in them and looked dingy -- this doesn't do that at all.

SW does not have the Martha line anymore, but if you called them, I bet they still have the formula and could mix you a sample quart.

Here's a pic -- in the pic below, the paint on the porch post and along the eaves/soffits of the porch is the old "bright white" that we had on our house prior to painting. The body of the siding is the "picket fence" color. Hopefully you can see the difference - I know it's hard on a computer.

• rwargo96
    8 years ago

Would you be willing to share with me why you chose to hold back painting your porch with picket fence selection. I have a hard time discerning from the photo. Thanks. Carol Wargo

• lkplatow
    8 years ago

Hi - wow, this post is a blast from the past. The only reason we didn't paint the porch posts and trim is that they had just been painted a year or two prior to residing the house and we didn't want to pay to paint them again. We did finally paint them a summer or two ago so now everything matches. But in the pic above, if you look at the diagonal piece of wood right under the porch roof on the side and compare it to the color of the striped siding right under it, you can see that the diagonal piece is a much brighter white while the siding is creamier. The only things in that pic that are the bright white color are that diagonal wood, the porch post, and the wood behind the gutter. Everything else is the picket fence. Hope that helps!

• rwargo96
    8 years ago

Thank you. I can see the difference now. I like the creamier white better.