Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Ikea's "black brown" color...

Sueb20
10 years ago

I have been on the hunt for a black all-weather wicker chair for my small front porch, and haven't been able to find one (why so hard to find?). It's more of a "stoop" so it can't be a huge chair, but I have it in my head that it NEEDS a black chair. My shutters are black on the second story of my house and I have a deep, OCD need to have a spot of black down there by the front door. I am sure many of you understand.

Anyway, after not finding the black wicker chair of my imagination, I found this one at Ikea, which I think is cute and very reasonably priced. But what is this "black brown" color? The chair looks black in the picture. I suppose I could spray paint it black but I really would prefer that the chair be black in the first place.

Have you seen this color IRL? Does it look black? Or does it look like that espresso finish that so many stores have, which is definitely not what I want?

Comments (18)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Here you go. A lot more expensive than the Ikea chair, but IMO, much, much, nicer. And it's a rocker - perfect for a porch.

Here is a link that might be useful: black resin chair.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

And a cute little table to go with it.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, but I don't want a rocker. This really is just a chair for show -- no one will sit out there. When I say it's a stoop, it really is small. Definitely no room for a table!

• lee676
    10 years ago

Can you post a link to the chair you're looking at? I'm going to Ikea later today and can snap and post a pic.

At least for their bookshelves and Godmorgon sink cabinets I have, black-brown is, well, very dark brown that's almost black if you don't look closely.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh look, I just found this one on O-stock. Looked before but I don't think this was there before. Going to double check and see if it will fit!

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh sorry, meant to post a link to the Ikea chair in my first post!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea chair

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

If you read the product description, it's pine with a black glazing paint. I'd assume that it's pretty much black but that the wood still shows through, so not like black solid paint.

By when do you need to know?

• User
    10 years ago

I like the wicker one you found sueb20. It looks more porchy than the ikea chair. Post a pic when it makes its debut!!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The Ikea one says it will need repainting at intervals....so no problem if you need to paint it occasionally anyway, but I'd prefer to get an outside chair that does not require painting...at least not for a long while.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Oooh.....I just found this one at World Market/Cost Plus...it looks like it is smaller than the one's posted previously and what you normally think of....

Here is a link that might be useful: Wicker chair

• meghnjosh
    10 years ago

Take a look at Pier one. They have some nice wicker chairs..

Here is a link that might be useful: Pier one wicker

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

The ikea one looks like it needs a mate or even a table; it does not say "occasional" chair to me.

The overstock one is better, but id like something a tad simpler. What about a CL find and you spray paint it?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I like the Ikea chair you are talking about. I thought it was the wicker one, which I didn't like.

the Overstock one is nice too, but cushions outside can be a pain - get all moldy and dirty, have to be brought in every time it rains...

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Do you have any of the big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Sams or even Ace Hardware)? They have all weather patio/porch furniture. They may have what you want in wicker like material.

• suero
    10 years ago

Another Overstock chair. Also comes in black

Here is a link that might be useful: resin steel frame wicker chair

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I love that world market chair!

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Don't have a clue about the Ikea's chair but I still have this idea that I need to paint a piece of furniture ORB. I bought a quart but still haven't used it anywhere. ORB to me is a "black brown", not quite either but a great color.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the World Market one, too. Also just found this one at PB, which I think I missed earlier because I thought it was part of a set. I can use Amex rewards points for PB and get this for "free"...

Here is a link that might be useful: PB chair