Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

It's not done but I'm moving in!

plllog
14 years ago

Because of all the delays, and the rain, my kitchen is getting finished in shifts when people are available. I have 30 people coming to dinner in less than a month, so I'm charging ahead trying to get as much stuff moved into the cabinets and out of my living room as I can...as fast as I can. Today, I got electric on! And now I'm hoping that my beloved fridge drawers won't make so much noise when they're full. I had to pull the plug! The DW isn't whisper silent like some, but I've read that those don't always clean as well so I don't repine. What I hear is a lot of swishing. :) Which is good, since I don't use caustic detergents and rinse aid.

The very first load was so pretty I took a picture of it! (Then added some utensils to fill up the top shelf.)

Comments (75)

• malhgold
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! What fantastic vision and fortitude you have had to know that the end result would be worth it. Just amazing.......not much else I can say!!!!!

• blessedathome
    14 years ago

Totally cool and beautiful! Congratulations on things coming together. :o)

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

I am thrilled by those tiles!

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

WOW! Those tiles are gorgeous. I bet they're even better looking in person. You have such great vision.

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

I really admire the gift it takes to pull off something like that backsplash and counter. And to discover that you are also the most talented dishwashe*r loader? :-)

I would gladly pay to l*earn how to get that much properly loaded - and the key here is *properly* - into my dishwashe*r.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

FABULOUS counter! And I love your knobs also.

(When I read the title of this thread, all I could think was OMG, that's going to be me!)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

incredible.

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

Just one word: WOW.

That's not a kitchen counter, that's ART!

Your dishes make me want to run out and buy Fiestaware, stat. Looking forward to seeing more pictures soon!

• farmhousebound
    14 years ago

I remember reading some of your woes with those tiles and for the life of me, couldn't visualize the end result--but WOWWWWW! they are Beautiful! Can't wait to see pictures of the whole kitchen.

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everybody!! It's been a stressful couple of days for totally non-kitchen reasons. How nice to wake up to all your warmth! I knew I was pushing the edge when I went for this, and that there will be people who will hate it, so it's really nice to hear all of your enthusiasm! I'm glad I stayed up and put the tour together.

Please forgive me for not addressing comments individually. I'm trying to pick out the questions: The tiles are from Architerra-NW. They're handmade, and very high quality. They make their own bisque, and offer all kinds of wonderful shapes, including the double liner v-cap, and coves, as well as the circles, parallelograms, and the "gum drops" and field in the garden window. The "problems" referred to above were handled well by the company, and applied to a small portion of the tiles. It was very frustrating for me, especially because making the bisque, drying and firing it, then glazing, stenciling and firing, all take a lot of time. Most of the colors were just right. In fact, I ordered the colors for the window casings from old samples in the tile store, and they came out exactly right on, and were equally important to the two colors I had newer samples for, that took several tries.

Yes, the tile setters are geniuses. I did pay them for their time, but they worked with me while I was laying out the counter. One of the times I posted earlier I was having trouble making the arrangement work out. Then I put them on the 30 angle and everything looked so much better! I printed a thematic analysis Mindstorm had replied to my thread with, and used it as an organizing tool whenever I got stuck (many many huge thanks to Mindstorm!!). When the basics where arranged the tile setters came and cut pieces as I was pretty sure I knew which ones to put where. Then they created things I asked for like the matchstick tiles radiating from the sunset, and veneers on the sides of the window casing where no one can see, and where they could barely get their fingers. Not to mention where they mitered the window casings and return tiles, and all kinds of other miracles.

Grlwprls, one of the tricks to loading a dishwasher is starting with great racks. I rejected a lot of very popular DWs because I didn't like the racks! Mine is the new Viking made by Viking, and the racks are great. I did still have to rearrange a few things as I was learning my way around. The other thing, is that it's a lot easier when all that's going in is a set of dishes and a few utensils (the flatware basket can go on the top shelf, so I could have fit the flatware, but I haven't found it yet). That's why a lot of the claims in the advertising make me laugh uproariously. It's not about how many settings of china you can fit. Very few people's normal load is a dozen place settings. Rather than paying, why not take a few pictures of your current DW's racks, empty, and with some examples of your commonly used items sitting in the races (with plenty of space showing), and open a thread. I'm sure there's a lot of wisdom in this forum that can help.

Re the dishes, they're not Fiesta. They're inexpensive stoneware, bought on sale. Casual party dishes. And, yes, very happy!

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

P.S. There will be a proper reveal but there's still some construction going on!

Meantime, I'm furiously washing dishes...

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

P.P.S. The knobs are recycled glass from Spectra Decor.

• happy2b…gw
    14 years ago

pillog, Love the tile work. I surely admire your design talent.

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

Pillog, if you happen to see this - do you remember where you found your happy dishes? I wasn't sure they were Fiesta but it reminded me of them. After seeing yours, I'm seriously considering tracking some down - maybe that's the punch of color my black & white semi-vintage kitchen needs!

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Daisies, Send me an e-mail and I'll look them up for you.

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Wow! Big smile on my face here! (Of course, that was after the quick intake of breath and heart beating faster). It's been a long road and I'm so happy your vision has becoming reality. Can hardly wait to see the whole kitchen!!

• Fori
    14 years ago

Yay!!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Plllog, Hallelujah! I am so happy for you. Sorry you have had a stressful couple of days.

The colorful plates in the DW are very pretty. I am at a loss to see any tile in that single picture. Are there more somewhere? I am missing the tile? Would love to see more!

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Wow! I have never seen anything like that before! That tile is a true work of art. I hope it brings you years and years of joy in your new kitchen. :)

• biochem101
    14 years ago

plllog,

That is the most gorgeous tile counter EVER!

Now THIS was worth waiting to see.

:)

• westsider40
    14 years ago

Wow!!!! Quadruple wow. Words fail me. I echo all the plaudits given by forum members. It is so beautiful...truly art....and the most gorgeous backsplsh and counter and tile, tile, tile Brilliant. Interesting and unique. Seriously, is there a tile museum somewhere? Mentioned on the mosaics forum?

Plllog, very, very wondrous.

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Cotehele, sorry. It was late. I only meant to post the DW, but then I had a burst of energy at bedtime and put together a tile tour page from some pictures I had taken while we were cleaning. So I posted a link in the third message.

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Never in a million years would I have guessed that a tile countertop could be so gorgeous but YOUR tile countertop is an amazing work of art!! It is simply stunning and perfection in every way. You have a rare vision and endless patience. I applaud you!!

(you also got some darn good tile setters too! lol!)

• sochi
    14 years ago

Wow plllog, you must be so pleased - you've realised your vision to perfection. The files are fabulous, beautiful. Truly unique. Congratulations.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

I am in awe. The tile color, patterns and layout are brilliant. I don't generally like tile countertops. You have changed my mind. I love yours. You are a very talented and expressive artist.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I am not a fan of tile countertops...But I would love those!!!! Fantastic. I particularly love the round tiles scattered in.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Plllog,

I love your style, taste and creativity.
    You Rock!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~boxer

• macybaby
    14 years ago

plllog,

what kind of dishes do you have. I love the multi-color look, but the dishes I bought have not held up well.

They say "dishwasher safe, Microwavable" but most have chipped edges now, and a few have marks that look like damage from cutting food on the plate. They also are horrible in the microwave - the plates get very hot while the food stays cold.

Mine are Tabletops Gallery - Misto.

Thanks
    Cathy

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

A unique and beautiful work of art! Will the poppy figure anywhere in your kitchen anymore?

• deegw
    14 years ago

Looks spectacular! I am impatiently waiting for a wide shot of the room so I can see the whole look.

• busybme
    14 years ago

I don't get much time on GW lately (too busy with the remodel) so I am thrilled that I popped on this morning to see your countertop and backsplash. SOOOO GORGEOUS!!

Doesn't it feel good to be able to see the end-of-the-line, renovation-wise? plllog, your journey has been stressful but your outcome is beautiful! Can't wait to see your finished kitchen thread!

Sandy

• lyno
    14 years ago

The tiles are absolutely gorgeous! I'm anxious for the wide angle shot, too! Congrats on having such vision and being so creative and artistic!

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

JS, the poppy is gone with the old drywall. It was a good exchange.

Cathy, the colored dishes aren't high quality. They were on sale, and kind of junky. But they make a cheery table and pretty DW load. They're stoneware. My daily dishes are porcelain. Even Lennox bone china, about the hardest, highest quality you can get, gets litte knife scratches in the glaze. Actually, I think Corelle does too. The only thing I can think of which might not is the heavier stoneware like Bunzlauer. Re chips, never stack dishes hot. They expand then can't contract evenly or in the right place as they cool, and they actually split. Banging any kind of dish can chip it, of course.

Thanks again everybody for your kind words!! Proper kitchen pictures will come when the tools and dropcloths are gone and the installation is finished.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Just. Wow.

I am in awe of your tilework. Holy moly. That is crazy wonderful!

Just. Wow.

• User
    14 years ago

plllog-

Absolutely stunning, your vision and creativity take my breath away. A very, very inspiring space.

sandyponder

• nonnyx2
    14 years ago

Sunshine on a Cloudy Day!
    Sunshine for you Everyday!

• sugar_maple_30
    14 years ago

Absolutely SPECTACULAR !

I stand before you in awe of what you accomplished!

I'm particularly crazy about the backsplash. I keep looking at it to see how you did it - all the different colours and patterns, but nevertheless, it seems so seamless. Interesting but not screaming. You are a master!!!!! (my kitchen looks positively boring in comparison)

You should be pretty darn proud of your vision. Take a bow please!

• Susied3
    14 years ago

pllogg, you have pulled off a masterpiece! It must say so much about your personality. I would love to meet such a creative, daring, confident, vibrant woman! (Isn't that how you would describe yourself?) Congrats!!!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

It's like something out of a museum--just FABULOUS! You have talent, vision and patience--the Holy Trinity of everything needed to re-do a kitchen!

pllogg, as others have said, "you rock".

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're all very kind! Thank-you for the lovely thoughts. [blush]

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Thanks for the preview of things to come. Those counter tiles are gorgeous. I love the color and the playful design. Can't wait to see more. :-)

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Just beautiful!
    It is so cool to see those tiles all installed-amazing! The gradation of colors works so well; I like how it gets brighter at the top, and the gumdrop tiles in the garden window. You must be so happy every time you see how your kitchen is coming together! I can't wait to see pictures of the whole kitchen.

• Sherri Stein
    14 years ago

WOW! Now you can start cooking for Seder - but I think your kitchen is so amazing - I want the tiles for my backsplash. I love the orangy red - time to start hunting. I think we live in the same area - SF Bay area - so, I'd love your source.

• semi
    14 years ago

Happy Happy Congratulations on the gorgeous tile work! I admit I would be grinning ear to ear every day that I could gaze down at those GORGEOUS tiles.

Yes, the dishwasher is good looking, but those tiles, ahhh, ohhh, those tiles!

Congratulations

• plllog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, once more, to all for the kind comments.

Learningguru, I haven't actually found the dishes for Seder yet, but things are progressing! :) The tiles are Architerra-NW, (Seattle) which I bought through Mission Tile West. They list a store in Mountain View. I'm in So.Cal. Like all handmade tiles, part of the charm is a certain amount of variation in color and shape, but, unlike many, the quality of the bisque is fantastic. I do have a master tile setter, but I don't think anything broke on the saw, and even the crackle glazed ones didn't chip. He was able to cut a tiny L shape out of one, matchsticks, and even a little curl. He also cut miters and veneers for the window casings. That's a testimony to the quality of the tiles as well as the man making the cuts.

• oldhousegal
    14 years ago

Plllog- WOW! I'm so happy for you and your gorgeous tile! I think that's one of the most beautiful artistic tile jobs I've ever seen. Kudos to you for going artistic. I think that would be absolutely amazing in person, and I think would be fantastic in any Craftsman style home as I've seen similar tiles like those in some older homes in my area- yet none so artistically well done.
    Beautiful!

• Sherri Stein
    14 years ago

Plllog - thanks for link - each of their tiles is unique and beautiful. But your creativity...

Can't wait to show my KD

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Beyond the Wows, that has to be the most Interesting tile work I've ever seen. I could just sit and stare....

• westiemom
    14 years ago

Absolutely Beautiful!..I'm Speechless...Enjoy!

• morton5
    14 years ago

That is really beautiful, totally worth the wait (well, I can say that because I haven't been kitchen-less for months on end). Congratulations on realizing your vision.