Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannygoat_gw

Chinese Herbs and Cushings

nannygoat_gw
16 years ago

Is anyone here familiar with the use of Chinese herbs in the treatment of Cushings? My dog is going for testing this week as the vet has a strong feeling that this is what she has.

My sister treated her dog with herbs due to the high cost of conventional treatment but is unable to remember exactly what she gave her.

My sister lives in Hawaii where this type of treatment is no doubt more acceptible than here on the mainland. I may have to see if I can speak with her vet by phone and get some type of recommendation.

Comments (4)

• spiritual_gardner
    16 years ago

I'm not familiar with using Chinese herbs for Cushings, however.

I tried numerous herbs, acupuncture and adjustments for my dog Tara who had hip dysplasia, and other issues.

My experience dealing with all of this was not very positive. Herbs don't work for all people/animals. If they do work, they take time to have an effect on the disease. I tried so hard to go with herbs and acupuncture when she developed a severe body infection, but it simply didn't work. My back up plan using conventional meds had to be put into effect because she was suffering needlessly.

I'm sure you are aware from your sister, that you also must have the right combination of herbs. They also can upset the stomach due to their potency.

If you do decide to go with herbs, I suggest a back up plan in case they are not doing what they are supposed to do, within a limited time frame. Don't keep using them if they are not working and your dog is showing no signs of improvement.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

SG

• mazer415
    16 years ago

Conventional western medicine is very effective for treating Cushings - I hope your pet does not have it, it can take awhile to treat successfully. As for the herbs, I would contact your sister in hawaii, there are plenty of places on the mainland to purchase these items and practitioners are not at allhard to find. Be ware though, medicine is not called a practice just for the heck of it. Each animal is different and may react differently to the treatment being given. i will never forget my friends neighbors husband being rushed to the ER after taking an herbal supplement his wife took regularly. Any treatment should be throughly researched and your vet should be given the treatment protocols so he knows what it is your are doing with your dog in case something goes wrong or the treatment is not working. Good luck

• nannygoat_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am going to have to put the testing for my dog on hold as I am now dealing with my horse who seems to have a severe case of colic. It's 1 AM and the vet just left---has no clear idea what has caused this but you horse owners know what a crisis colic can be.

The horse is 29 and has had a good life. Likewise, the dog at 14 has had a good life.

I need to do some more reading about Cushings----my dog owner friends are asking why I would want to even consider the extensive testing in a dog this age.

Can't think too clearly now----but do need to think this through.

Nancy

• todancewithwolves
    16 years ago

My dog has had Cushings for well over 5 years. He just turned 14 and has done very well on med's.

The test isn't that bad.

Cushings is a tumor that grows around the adrenal or the pituitary gland. Med's keep the tumor from growing.

If it's in the adrenal gland, which is rare, it can be removed surgically. If it's in the pituitary it has to be treated with med's.

My dog is doing so well, in fact he acts like a puppy sometimes.
    {{gwi:470586}}

Edna

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!