Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sholt576

Finished staining vanity cabs... need hardware help (pics)

sholt576
16 years ago

I finished polystaining my girls' vanity. I think it turned out great. It was a bit hard to get the finish even, but the room is pretty dark and the vanity has shadows playing all over it, so it works in the space. I'm very pleased, and now I just get to hope it holds up well.

The walls are pale pink and yes, the original avocado fixtures are still in place. To each their own, I've grown attached the the rich green color and will only replace them for cause, not simply so they can be white.

I was thinking of pink glass pulls, but they may not really be right on the dark brown cabs.

This is before and after with one coat of polystain. I used two coats, and a clear coat on top.

Here is one of the pulls I was considering:

{{!gwi}}

I also like this but it looks like it doesn't have a good hand feel as far as allowing enough room to get your fingers behind it and being too thin. At $3 I'm sure its not real high quality.

Or perhaps I need to go with something a little more boring.

Comments (18)

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

How about green glass pulls? Green and pink is a good combo now. If not I like the first pink ones.

• mry193
    16 years ago

Sammie2: Your cabinets look very nice - good job.
    I think mlraff has a good idea with the green glass pulls. Would be interesting to see how they look IRL on the darker cabinet.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Great job on the staining! I'd be concerned that first pull would lose it's distinctiveness up against the dark cab, although I like it. I think that glass pulls in any color would lose most of their sparkle and look muddy up against the dark cab. Pulls are easy enough to change when you want a newer look down the road someday. I'd pick something fun for the girls now. How about pastel animal or flower pulls?

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Maybe something like this (lynninnew is right-the glass will not look too bright).

Here is a link that might be useful: ceramic knobs

• gracie-2006
    16 years ago

I think the glass green knob like the pink ones you showed above would look good. Also, have you thought about replacing your white commode seat with a dark wood seat to match your new cabinets? Which, by the way, look great! Are you going to replace your faucet also?

• sholt576
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks- yes I think you're right that the translucent glass will just get sucked into the cabs. I've found quite a few fun knobs, but dh is set on having pulls.

The girls really like 'jewels', I wonder if one of the darker glass versions like cobalt blue or ruby red would work. I saw some green ones that were pretty dark as well.

• sholt576
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks- yes I think you're right that the translucent glass will just get sucked into the cabs. I've found quite a few fun knobs, but dh is set on having pulls.

The girls really like 'jewels', I wonder if one of the darker glass versions like cobalt blue or ruby red would work. I saw some green ones that were pretty dark as well.

• decorpas
    16 years ago

I like the green and the pink. It looks like the walls are pink, but there is also some green on the toilet (?) and then the shower curtain has both. I wonder if you can pick up a green and a pink at a local store and hold them up against the cabinets to see which ones pop?

How old are the girls? This is a room that I could see being very fun-- like a candy stripe wall-- meaning keep the pink, add a broad pale green stripe and even an off white one. Then you could use either color pull (or both).

I have glass knobs (actually, they are the acrylic but they look like glass)-- they're clear. I like the contrast between the darker cabinet color you have and the daintiness of glass pulls. Your cabinets looks great:-)

• sholt576
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gracie- I'll have to look into dark wood seats. That's a good idea. I'm pretty sure dh will be against it (who knew they could have such strong opinions about things like this?) but if I get a furry brown lid cover I'm sure he'd be willing to agree to wood.

I've been looking at faucets as well. I'm torn between a single lever (easier for kids to get warm water) and double lever (potentially easier for kids to reach since the levers are lower but they are also further away so maybe they aren't easier to reach.)

decorpas- I have 3 girls under 6. One loves pink, one loves brown, and one hasn't declared a color yet. Luckily pink and brown work quite well together.

I always think it'd be great to paint strips, but once I get one color down I'm no longer quite as motivated. I am planning to add some colors on the door, though.

(Sorry about the double post- its a bit comical since it let me double post my previous message but it is rejecting this message since I've already posted.)

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I also think a checkered pink and green shower curtain would be great in there (or stripes-alot easier than painting) .
    I've never seen a dark toilet seat (only oak) but it would look great.

• les917
    16 years ago

Please don't replace the white seat with a brown one. It is probably just me, but they remind me of an outhouse. LOL If you google avocado toilet seat, you will find a number of sources for replacements in that color.

What about something like this for your girls who like jewels? The Light Vitrail color seems to have a lot of pink, or the Aurora Borealis might work, too. I am afraid that the pink glass will just disappear against the dark cabinets, and the greens out there are wrong for the avocado toilet, especially so close together. If you click on the link on this page, it will show you all the finishes. If you do a search under crystal pulls, you will get some other choices.

decorative pull with crystals

• denali2007
    16 years ago

If you have a HD or Lowes or other hardware store(Target even) I would buy several handles and knobs you think you might want. Then try them all out at once. It's funny how you imagine one thing and something else completley different is the one that works.

• sholt576
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been to Lowe's, Target, and Expo and have reached the point where I'm pretty much willing to put up anything so I can quit thinking about it.

I brought home these from Target. The center part is darker pink that the pic shows, more of an amethyst. Yesterday I didn't really like them, but today, after looking at 1000 more pulls, I think they'll be just perfect ;)

• sholt576
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not a bad transformation for a couple of Saturdays and less than $50.

Yes, I'm going to paint the footer, but I neglected to prep it with the other prep (lightly sanding and cleaning well) so it'll get done later.

• User
    16 years ago

Yay!!
    That looks great and does show the color of the glass. I love a happy ending! Wonderful!!!

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Good job!!! They are the perfect handles!
    It took me so long to stain my kitchen cabs that not a moment goes by that I don't look at them at tell myself what a great job I did. Be proud...and happy that you're done.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

You did a beautiful job. Love those handles!!

• fixitup
    15 years ago

This is the place to search for glass pulls. They have the green ones from above plus about 30 different colors from a light light pink to an antique lemon. There is a perfect fit for any finish in this selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beatiful Glass Pulls