Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnesd_gw

Paper Piecing Paper

agnesd
16 years ago

What do you use for PP? I paid $10 for 28 pieces at LQS. She said you had to be able to see the reverse side. On my own paper you can't. But I thought $10 was a little bit much.

Comments (14)

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Quilters used lots of different paper for their paper piecing:

vellum - comes on a pad, can be expensive
    copy/printer paper - the cheaper, the thinner, the better
    deli paper - my favorite, 1000 sheets for $5 will last me a lifetime, what the deli wraps your sandwich in

Hummmm? Have to be able to see the reverse side??? Not the way I paper piece. The numbered side of the paper is facing outward. Maybe someone else knows what she meant. You use thin paper so it will be easy to remove.

Yes, $10 for 28 pieces of paper is too expensive.

• coalaska
    16 years ago

I use tissue paper--the kind you'd put in a gift bag. Very cheap, you can see through it, tears off easily.

I stack it under a paper pattern, then sew along the lines without thread in the machine. This puts the pattern lines onto the tissue without tracing.

• sunnycentralfl
    16 years ago

"Funny you should ask...our guild just had Carol Doak teach classes over the w/e and lecture on Monday night at guild meeting. What a nice gal - just real down to earth, fun and easy to work with. She had sold all the pkgs of paper she had with her. It was $10 a pk and $5 S&H. I showed my DH the few papers handed out for our class and off we went to Michael's. Got a 9x12 Crayola doodle pad for $3. Had to trim it on the paper cutter a bit now it goes thru the printer and "walla". Will see how it actually sews and tears.

Gwen

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

I have used printer paper, vellum, and parchment paper the most. I DO NOT like vellum, it was expensive and diffacult to remove. Printer paper wasn't a terrible problem but I really like parchment the best. Easy to use, comes on a roll, not too expensive. If I can find the deli paper the Teresa talks about I might try that. When I worked in the OR I would save the inner wrap from the disposable items and that was very nice but not available to me now. Jayne

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

I use regular printer paper (cheap, thin kind) because I make copies of the patterns. I thought about using tissue paper, but it wouldn't go through the printer.

I sew with very small stitches, so the paper is perforated-- and easy to remove.

• woodenzoo
    16 years ago

I haven't tried paper piecing yet, but am trying to learn as much as I can about the technique before jumping in.
    I 'just' brought a roll of pattern tracing paper and since I'll never use all of it for it's intended purpose, thought that it would probably work out well for PP.
    Any thoughts or experience with it in paper piecing?
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Pattern Tracing Paper from Nancy's Notions

• gerizone5
    16 years ago

I just use my regular printer paper as I make several copies and very small stitches.

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

I've always used standard printer paper, but recently bought a pad of newsprint paper for this use. I've been told it works a bit better than reg. paper.

• nana24
    16 years ago

I really like paper piecing and have use all the above papers at some time. My favorite is the cheapest copier paper I can find. Like Teresa said I don't see why you would have to see throught it but even copier paper is seen through if held to the light. I fold every line before I start. This gives me a visual on the side for the fabric and helps in the removal of the paper when it is finished. I also use very small stitches.

Cathy(woodenzoo), although I have a roll of the pattern tracing paper I have not actually tried it. I think however it would be especially good if I wanted several of the same pattern and sewed through a stack with a needle only technique which someone mentioned above. I have used regular tracing paper that comes in a pad but my experience is when I press it with the iron on each seam it becomes brittle and sometimes comes off the fabris before I'm ready.

I,too, think you paid a lot for the paper. PP is so much fun don't let paper be a reason not to do it. At that price I'd be reluctant to do much. Just my opinion.

Sally

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I use cheap printer paper as well.Can almost always find some at the 99 cent store.I love to PP,everything comes out so well,and once you get the hang of it ,i find it goes quickly and smoothly.
    Kathi

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

Like someone else I also use thin copy paper and small stitches so that the paper comes off easy.
    Suellen

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

I used typing paper that I bought off the internet because stores no longer seem to carry paper that thin, LOL. Now I can't even find it on the internet. But like the others say -- copy paper, the thinner the better, works fine.

I've always been able to see the lines through regular paper if I hold it up to the light -- but if you're having trouble, Cheryl's (Coalaska) idea of sewing through a stack along the lines first is awesome. Perforates the paper once so it tears off easier and you can see those lines from either side!

• agnesd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, as usual, for all the paper advice. I thought it was too expensive. I have many great ideas to explore. I know I can always count on everyone to come up with bright and inventive solutions.

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I have only done PP in around 10 blocks so far, but a cheap, thin 3-ring notebook filler paper I had kicking around has been perfect for it. The lines on the paper don't bother me, it goes through the printer easily, and tears away with no trouble. True, I have to hold it to the light to see through it, but that's no big deal.

I like Sally's idea of folding on the lines and will try that. Right now I am in the middle of making a Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt that calls for a lot of PP. I kind of like doing it.